Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jones, Oatway & Harty

wilderabeast

Jul 27, 2004
The Promised Land
In my eyes all legends for the club and all deserve our support in the coming season. I think Jones is one of our most creative players and would be very interested to see what percentage of our goals he created last season always puts in the effort and still prepared to try his tricks and something different even when he is not playing well...

Charlie fearless in the tackle has put his body on the line more then once for the albion ok not the most creative player in the world but does an important job for the team.

Harty on his day well capable of worrying most championship teams...

2 out of 3 of these player i think are confidence players jones and hart so get behind them for f*cks sake and judge them at the end of the season..

i also think piercy could prove to be the suprise packet this season.....

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
wilderabeast said:

I agree with that if he can stay fit!

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
wilderabeast said:
In my eyes all legends for the club and all deserve our support in the coming season. I think Jones is one of our most creative players and would be very interested to see what percentage of our goals he created last season always puts in the effort and still prepared to try his tricks and something different even when he is not playing well...

Charlie fearless in the tackle has put his body on the line more then once for the albion ok not the most creative player in the world but does an important job for the team.

Harty on his day well capable of worrying most championship teams...

2 out of 3 of these player i think are confidence players jones and hart so get behind them for f*cks sake and judge them at the end of the season..

Good post. Very positive.

Jonesy created a high percentage of our goals last season. His devastating second half burst at Sheff Weds was a joy to behold.

Oatway's good for the dressing room and can mix it where required and Harty, every now and again, can run in a straight line and bang a spectacular one in.

Whoever's wearing the stripes, however badly they're playing, get behind them. It makes a hell of a difference.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
jones and oatway are not good enough. Jones constantly gives the ball away, goes on aimless runs that almost always end up in him giving the ball away or delivering a cross aimed at absolute no-one.

Oatway tries hard but unfortunately often looks out of his depth.

I like hart but thought he looked fairly poor last year.

piercey should be in the team but unfortunately seems to be injured too often. Hopefully he'll get a good run in the team

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Oatway "short of what is required" ???

He is without doubt the best and most destructive man-marker we have at this club.

When we're playing some high class midfielders (the likes of Kavanagh springs to mind), we'll need him.

He's admittedly not the most constructive of footballers, but the fact that he disrupts the opposition so significantly is sufficient to merit a place in most Albion teams.

I'm never as confident when he doesn't play.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Barnet Seagull said:
Oatway "short of what is required" ???

He is without doubt the best and most destructive man-marker we have at this club.

When we're playing some high class midfielders (the likes of Kavanagh springs to mind), we'll need him.

He's admittedly not the most constructive of footballers, but the fact that he disrupts the opposition so significantly is sufficient to merit a place in most Albion teams.

I'm never as confident when he doesn't play.

There you go, as I am far more confident when he does not play. Too often his central midfield partner ends up carrying him, as Oatway cannot keep up with the game, cannot read the game or goes in for a dumb arse challenge, does not win the ball and so is out of position.

All this rubbish about him getting stuck in, well that is all well and good, but he goes flying in and most of the time his challenges do not win us possession. If Oatway is in the team, the midfield will get swamped.

Both Taylor and Coppell saw this and brought in replacements, but the current incumbent seems to be intent on playing Charlie, so God help us.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
wilderabeast said:
judge them at the end of the season....

I'll judge them whenever I feel like sir

Oatway, not good enough at Div1 level

Jones, a 5 minute purple patch per game does not disguise from me his continual wastefulness (sp) with the ball, the misplaced passes, the bottling out of tackles, his lack of goals, his stupid showboating that results in a goal ONCE a season tops

Hart, legs have gone, but I concede, a Brighton legend, never stops trying

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Barnet Seagull said:

And when we've played Cardiff recently, how's Kavanagh performed?

He's been the best player (bar Bobby) on the pitch

So that blows your arguement of Oatway being this Beresi-like manmarking god straight out of the water

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Enough .....

We cannot afford the likes of Lampard , Beckham, Figo etc. We cannot afford the likes of Kavanagh..

So conclusion . We have Jones , Oatway and Hart.

Each of which knows the club inside out, are integral members of the SQUAD and will do what MM tells them to do, to the best of their ablility. So far Piercy has yet to show a 1oth of the commitment of Oatway, (who IMHO) is often harshly judged, as mentioned above.

Jones has his moments and then slips away. He needs to work at this, perhaps fitness is the answer ?

Hart is the one I most worry about as he has had 2 indifferent seasons and needs to have the confidence to do what he does best, i.e. running at players.

Yes, I rant about all three, I get fed up that Charlie cannot turn on a sixpence and ping a Beckham..esque ball half the length of the pitch. But I also remember watching him plenty of times in the last year and thinking good tackle or he broke the play up well there. He will make mistakes, but who won't at this level.

We are staying up and these guys will have a big part to play. But we are all entitled to our opinion.
:drink:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Barnet Seagull said:

That isn't saying much given our dearth of central midfielders at the moment - there's no reason why a defensive midfielder can't play a bit as well, Sidwell managed it, Lewis did pretty well. Oatway is stretched at div2 level, and is way out of his depth any higher. We need a replacement, or Rodger to be fit, to bring the best out of Chippy.

As for Jonah and Harty, I think they have a lot to offer on their day, it's just that they have fewer of these days as we go further up the leagues. They are good squad players, something we need at this level.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Preferred Hart when he was a centre forward. Can't believe he's not in contention to start in that position on Sat.

I agree - never really thought he was a winger. His crossing isn't good enough

DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Preferred Hart when he was a centre forward. Can't believe he's not in contention to start in that position on Sat.

He is - it's probably a choice of him or Lee, with Piercy and Jake as the long-odds.

wilderabeast

Jul 27, 2004
The Promised Land
give the second strikers berth to harty remember wolves...if im right we put him up front against them last time out and he scored a peach in our 4-1 win at withdean

Ginge305

Jul 27, 2004
Portslade
I have to say although Charlie may be good for team morale in the dressing room he really doesn't cut it in midfield. I think Paul Reid would be a good partner for Chippy. When he came on at Cardiff he appeared strong and put a few good passes together.
As for Jones.....well I thought he was a disaster last season...he may try hard and make some good runs down the wing but his crossing is appalling. However, pre-season he has looked good.
Harty will always be a legend but I agree with the others, his legs are going..

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Repugnant Toad said:
That isn't saying much given our dearth of central midfielders at the moment - there's no reason why a defensive midfielder can't play a bit as well, Sidwell managed it, Lewis did pretty well. Oatway is stretched at div2 level, and is way out of his depth any higher..

To be fair Sidwell and Lewis are more attacking midfielders and play further up the pitch. Oatway's job is to sit in front of the back four.

Oatway did well last year, though he has obvious limitations. I can see him being played selectively this year when we nee someone to do a man marking job in midfield.

Last time in this division he was superb at Withdean ion the match against Pompey. Kept Merson quiet which not many other teams managed.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Uncle Buck said:
Oatway may give his all for the team, but the fact remains that he is way short of what is required and starting with him this season is effectively going to mean we are only playing with 10 men.

10 and a half men, i would say.

cannot fault his commitment though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here