Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jonathan Woodgate

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Rio Ferdinand!! Do you really rate him?
I find him ponderously slow in movement and thought. Whenever he comes up against those nippy little foreign forwards I'm embarassed at how easily he is beaten. Noone, Buckley or CMS would roast him

I am not sure I like this image i now have in my head

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Unfortunately as we all know he hasnt played regular football for years, would be a gamble for any team to offer anything other than a pay as you play deal.

Would i be excited if we signed him........HELL YEAH if the figures and the deal was right.

Erm.... if he wanted a Pay as you Play deal he'd be at Spurs or elsewhere in the premier league. He won't come to Brighton on a pay as you play, it would most definitely be a gamble by us, and what a gamble ....

excerpts from Wiki

Woodgate began his career at Middlesbrough but moved to Leeds United at the age of sixteen. He helped Leeds to win the FA Youth Cup in 1997, and in October the following year made his debut for the senior side. Woodgate was a consistent and impressive performer for Leeds during his time there. His number of appearances were heavily reduced due to picking up several injuries on different occasions.

As a result of Leeds' financial problems Woodgate was sold . Woodgate signed for Newcastle United in January after impressing as a centre back for £9 million with add ons. One of his finest games came in Newcastle's 2004 Uefa Cup semi final clash with Marseille. Unfortunately for Newcastle, a serious injury saw him end his final season early, and could not feature in the second leg, where Newcastle were defeated 2-0 and knocked out. Woodgate never had an injury-free run in the team.

Woodgate signed for Real Madrid in August 2004 for a transfer fee of £13.4 million. This was to the surprise of many in the football world, due to his frequent absences through injury at his previous clubs, and indeed he was injured at the time of the transfer. By February 2006, Woodgate had established himself as a first team player. One Spanish newspaper even described him as having "become Madrid's true leader". However, further injury setbacks again stopped him playing. He was considered to have an outside chance of making the England squad for the 2006 FIFA World Cup, but due to surgery on his back was not named in the squad.

On 30 August 2006, Woodgate signed a one-year loan move to hometown club Middlesbrough. In April 2007 Middlesbrough announced Woodgate would be their first summer signing for a fee of £7 million. During the 2007–08 pre-season Woodgate suffered an injury that allowed fellow hometown defender David Wheater to start in his place during pre-season.

After rejecting the chance to re-sign for Newcastle, Woodgate moved to Tottenham Hotspur for a fee of £7 million on 28 January 2008. Woodgate played just three times in Spurs highly successful 2009–10 campaign, after succumbing to a long term groin injury. Woodgate travelled to Australia to have surgery. On 19 January 2011, Woodgate played his first game in 14 months in a friendly match with QPR. Following this, on 15 February, a Champions League tie with AC Milan, he came on in the 59th minute for the injured Vedran Ćorluka. He played out the rest of the game; however, was later diagnosed with a strain to his left adductor muscle. Spurs were unsuccessful in persuading Woodgate to agree a pay-as-you-play deal, and he was released on 16 June 2011.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If we sign woodgate and he stays fit and IF we signed Bellamy aswell to play behind CMS then we would smash the league next year!

yesterday on talksport they said Bellamy was linked with QPR however the 90k a week would be an issue, To be fair if he is not worth that much to us. I would rather go for KLL and not pay stupid money

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
:lol:

Do all these players hop in and out of the tunnel in perfect syncronisation with the webcam for us to miss them all?

That is so funny. Got this little picture in my mind now of Gus saying "it's ok, you can come out now". Then "quick, back inside" every 15 minutes.

Seriously though, IMHO Woodgate is an absolutely class defender.
It's just a real shame that his injury history is so bad. When fit he was always one of the best central defenders around, if not the best.

I suppose it's case now of watch this space to see what develops.
If we could get half a season from him, that would be brilliant, but somehow I don't think he'd even last that long fitness-wise.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
If he did sign for us he`ll prob say the thing that won him over was the new treatment room!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Has anybody actually considered he has only had a look around the stadium as he is a mate of Poyet from when they where at Spurs together

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
You put your left boot in, your left boot out. You do the Jonny Woodgate and you turn about.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Erm.... if he wanted a Pay as you Play deal he'd be at Spurs or elsewhere in the premier league. He won't come to Brighton on a pay as you play
It depends on the nature of his injuries. As someone said in another thread, he'd only be able to play at spurs when 100% fit, whereas he could play in the championship when short of full fitness (not injured), and make up for it with abitilty.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Woodgate

Can't be bothered to search through tons of posts about players, but this appeared on a Spurs ITK forum, how correct it is I have no idea. But he has been released by Spurs and was so a couple of weeks ago after rejecting a pay as you play deal.

Woodgate

Quote:
Not 100% if this qualifies as ITK as I'm not entirely sure if Woodgate is still at the club or not (rumours of a pay-as-you-play contract?), but anyway:

Woodgate was shown round the Amex Stadium today by Gus Poyet and Tony Bloom. I'm lucky enough to work about two minutes from the new stadium so I went and asked a couple of people who work there, and it seems like it's true.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Woodgate would be an insanely exciting signing. He's a quality player at the highest level so would eat up any of the strikers the championship has to offer. And I'm as confident as can be that Poyet would only sign him if he in tun was as confident as he cold be that he could get a decent number of games ot of him.

Please, please, please let this rumour be true.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If true and he is and can stay fit (big ask) he would be immense in this league without a doubt especially on a pay as you play type deal

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
not convinced , his injury record is appaling. If we are paying alot of money then asking for trouble

If we can keep him fit would be quality but that word "If" has been touted for a decade

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Woodgate would be an insanely exciting signing. He's a quality player at the highest level so would eat up any of the strikers the championship has to offer. And I'm as confident as can be that Poyet would only sign him if he in tun was as confident as he cold be that he could get a decent number of games ot of him.

Please, please, please let this rumour be true.
Exactly. 'IF' we sign him, it's because Gus believes it's worth it. Those who think it would be a bad move 'IF' we signed him are basically saying Gus is an idiot. I disagree with that view, I think Gus is rather good. If Woodgate isn't fit enough, then Gus won't sign him. Simples.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here