Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Johnny Cash RIP.

The man is very much a legend, I don't think you can be a has-been posthumously

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Absolute legend - he was the Man in Black. Hurt is a very moving swansong for him and June.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
chip said:
Absolute legend - he was the Man in Black. Hurt is a very moving swansong for him and June.

Yikes, I agree with Chip for once.

And the video for Hurt is the best ever, for once the kleenex I always carry close by when watching the box was used to dab my eyes.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
El Presidente said:
Yikes, I agree with Chip for once.

You've agreed with me before and you know it :p

That video is great though, especially the shots with June Carter Cash. Theres a story there that I can't quite remember.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
chip said:
You've agreed with me before and you know it :p

That video is great though, especially the shots with June Carter Cash. Theres a story there that I can't quite remember.

the story i think is that he'd already been diagnosed as suffering from cancer when that video was shot.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
A Boy Named Sue.. quality!

Slightly odd, if you ask me, that the two songs mentioned so far on this thread weren't written by him (although, of course, he was a brilliant interpreter of other people's songs - he even managed to make U2's 'One' sound half decent).

The Sun Recordings are something else - far, far better than anything else on that label, especially Elvis Presley's.

Let's face it, though, he went through some atrocious years before Rick Rubin (a legend) saved him. Without Rubin, he would have died without legend status. And no number of completely uncritical, Cash-licenced retellings of his 'saving' (i.e. Walk the Line) would have altered that.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Legend, I only really took notice when I heard his version of 'Hurt' and saw the video, quite breathaking.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
fatbadger said:
Let's face it, though, he went through some atrocious years before Rick Rubin (a legend) saved him. Without Rubin, he would have died without legend status.

don't see that, he was one of the biggest if not the biggest country-rock crossover acts in the sixties, massive in the states...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A never was. All he had was a deep voice.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
fatbadger said:

Let's face it, though, he went through some atrocious years before Rick Rubin (a legend) saved him.

True to an extent, but which other musicians have put out new quality music over such a long period. The Beatles individually have been shit for years, The Stones have done nothing of note for 25-30 years etc. Eric Clapton, Brian Wilson, Bowie and other big big names have trodden water.

It's only Cash and CLIFF that have flown the flag IMO from the 60's to the present

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
afters said:
the story i think is that he'd already been diagnosed as suffering from cancer when that video was shot.

I was thinking along the lines that June had never heard the song. Some of the images of her in the video are of her reaction to first hearing it.

afters said:
don't see that, he was one of the biggest if not the biggest country-rock crossover acts in the sixties, massive in the states...

Not forgetting that he could also carry openly Christian lyrics and very political messages without sounding pious or pompous. He didn't condone the prisoners actions that led them to prison, but despised the system that kept them there long after they had paid for the crime and did nothing to rehabilitate them while they where there.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
El Presidente said:
True to an extent, but which other musicians have put out new quality music over such a long period. The Beatles individually have been shit for years, The Stones have done nothing of note for 25-30 years etc. Eric Clapton, Brian Wilson, Bowie and other big big names have trodden water.

It's only Cash and CLIFF that have flown the flag IMO from the 60's to the present

How about Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Frank Zappa and The Grateful Dead? Oh, perhaps not the Dead, but they did do it for a long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here