When I hear that whistle blowin',
I hang my head and cry

The man was a total legend.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
DJ Leon said:
Wow. He's in my top 3 favourite singers of ALL time.

Johnny Cash is quite simply one of the most important recording artists of all time.
Sorry, but I think he's bloody awful. Morose, droning voice, he didn't even sing in key half the time. Great songwriter maybe, but he had a voice like a poorly serviced industrial lathe.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Easy 10 said:
Sorry, but I think he's bloody awful. Morose, droning voice, he didn't even sing in key half the time. Great songwriter maybe, but he had a voice like a poorly serviced industrial lathe.

Yeah but his top two are Shane McGowan and Bob Dylan

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Easy 10 said:

You didn't like his version of Mercy Seat then?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
chip said:
You didn't like his version of Mercy Seat then?
Can't say I've knowingly heard it. I generally do my best to avoid his stuff.

Phil B

Jul 27, 2004
Ifield, Crawley
I remember my Dad having two Johnny Cash albums and i used to listen to them all the time. They were Live at San Quentin and Live at Folsom Prison - unbelievable!

Last edited:

afters said:
don't see that, he was one of the biggest if not the biggest country-rock crossover acts in the sixties, massive in the states...

Agree with that - grew up listening to him as my parents had a lot of his stuff, they were not Country cultists or big music fans, he did sell a shedload of records to the crossover market in the sixties and would have remained huge to that generation regardless of his latter-day revival.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
He's good - I've just ripped some of his stuff off - but I'd say he is hugely over-rated. It's just become cool to say he's cool but he's done, what, 3-4 famous songs? I love Ring Of Fire, I reckon I Walk The Line and Boy Named Sue are fairly enjoyable C+W but really nothing more than that, while the "old codger who still sings, ah, how terribly moving" schtick at the end left me as cold as it ended up leaving him.

Apparently he's was known for most of his career for being a rampant self-publicist. It seems still to be working.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Not a bad singer, but makes a better ATM.

cash3wp.jpg

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Man of Harveys said:
He's good - I've just ripped some of his stuff off - but I'd say he is hugely over-rated. It's just become cool to say he's cool but he's done, what, 3-4 famous songs? I love Ring Of Fire, I reckon I Walk The Line and Boy Named Sue are fairly enjoyable C+W but really nothing more than that, while the "old codger who still sings, ah, how terribly moving" schtick at the end left me as cold as it ended up leaving him.

Apparently he's was known for most of his career for being a rampant self-publicist. It seems still to be working.

3-4 famous songs? You and a lot of people may have heard of 3-4 songs, but that's no indication of the man's class is it?

The "old codger who still sings, ah, how terribly moving" schtick you talk of probably came only with 'Hurt'. The reason anyone was interested in the first place was because of an extraordinary career from the mid-fifties to the 21st century. That's a long time and a massive body of work. Go and find out about some of it. I can't obviosuly guarantee you'll like it, but if you like the songs you mention, I think you'll find a lot more in there to enjoy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here