Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnathon Douglas

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
His touch and technique let him down? That's a staggering thing to say in my opinion, absolutely staggering. I can't think of a single occaison where I would agree with that. Brilliant player, and if it wasn't for his injury problems since he's been here, he would be THE key player in our team. I think he's being overshadowed in the midfield by how well Elliott Bennett is playing, but Sparrow is the complete central midfielder. And even better, he adds steel to our team. Fantastic signing, and considering his experience at this level, and at a higher level, he is a very important member of our squad.

Agree to disagree I guess. Don't get me wrong, he's decent and a good signing - I've just been a bit underwhelmed by some of his performances. Your loyalty is admirable (as is your avatar). I hope he gets a good run of games and stamps his mark in this league and the championship with us.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
His touch and technique let him down? That's a staggering thing to say in my opinion, absolutely staggering. I can't think of a single occaison where I would agree with that. Brilliant player, and if it wasn't for his injury problems since he's been here, he would be THE key player in our team. I think he's being overshadowed in the midfield by how well Elliott Bennett is playing, but Sparrow is the complete central midfielder. And even better, he adds steel to our team. Fantastic signing, and considering his experience at this level, and at a higher level, he is a very important member of our squad.

Really? I think Bridcutt has been the real star in our centre, and then his partner in a 4-4-2 (in my opinion) would be out of Dicker or Sparrow. Seriously lacking a central attacking midfielder, thus why Gus has been moving Bennett in the centre..

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I think the main issue is Sparrow works best (I'm guessing) in the Lampard role, behind the strikers. Bennett is currently getting in his way but is playing too well to be put elsewhere. I think if Sparrow had a few games there he would get goals and be far more noticeable.

As it is, I think he's doing a reasonable job but there is more to come from him.

Indeed, and perhaps he'd do better in a 4-4-2, less clustered midfield role. Just sometimes seems to run everywhere and not use his head- especially when Dicker and Bridcutt are occupying those areas. Fingers crossed he gets an attacking role with Bridcutt sitting and covering to show us what he can do..

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Agree to disagree I guess. Don't get me wrong, he's decent and a good signing - I've just been a bit underwhelmed by some of his performances. Your loyalty is admirable (as is your avatar). I hope he gets a good run of games and stamps his mark in this league and the championship with us.

I think next season we'll see the best of him, the more space on the pitch, the better he plays. His performance at Charlton was just magnificent.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I only get to see away games and Sparrow has been outstanding all season when playing.
Away from home if I absolutely had to choose between Sparrow and Dicker (not strictly like for like by any means but nevermind) I would choose Sparrow.
I suspect it is different at home which may account for peoples' diverse views.
I am increasingly impressed with Bridcutt as a defensive midfielder - if he learns to give the ball away a little less hee might become a very real asset.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Hoping our next signing will have Championship experience because if we do gain promotion we dont know how many of the present squad will be able to step up a grade.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I only get to see away games and Sparrow has been outstanding all season when playing.
Away from home if I absolutely had to choose between Sparrow and Dicker (not strictly like for like by any means but nevermind) I would choose Sparrow.
I suspect it is different at home which may account for peoples' diverse views.
I am increasingly impressed with Bridcutt as a defensive midfielder - if he learns to give the ball away a little less hee might become a very real asset.

Indeed, covers so much ground and has great vision and passing- and how brilliant is it to have Kishishev for him to learn off? Believe he captained the Chelsea youth and reserves too. Certainly be interesting how Gus structures his preferred 4-4-2 formation..

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Hoping our next signing will have Championship experience because if we do gain promotion we dont know how many of the present squad will be able to step up a grade.

Valid point- but surely it remains about the team, and how the team plays? Individually, we shouldn't even be top 4, perhaps *all very very subjective*. But as a TEAM, well, we're number 1 in the league. Look at Blackpool, who'd have thought they'd be where they are? Granted, the season isn't over, but their TEAM is playing well together..

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'd agree with the positive Sparrow comments. I think he's excellent. Bridcutt has really established himself now as well. We've certainly got some quality in midfield!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Gus has been looking for a winger to replace Lualua so he can revert back to a 4-4-2 with some wingers, he'll then have to choose his preferred 2 in the centre of midfield. I'd like to see Bridcutt and Sparrow as they both have bags of quality, and I say that as possibly Gary Dickers biggest fan.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Valid point- but surely it remains about the team, and how the team plays? Individually, we shouldn't even be top 4, perhaps *all very very subjective*. But as a TEAM, well, we're number 1 in the league. Look at Blackpool, who'd have thought they'd be where they are? Granted, the season isn't over, but their TEAM is playing well together..

I disagree, I think our first 11 and our bench is the strongest in the league. No other team has as many decent players as us and I think if we were able to take anybody from the other league 1 clubs that we wanted it would only be 2 or 3 players, the others would improve our squad much.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Where has this talk of Elliot leaving come from? Last I heard he had just signed a new long term contract...who's rumoured to be sniffing around?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Where has this talk of Elliot leaving come from? Last I heard he had just signed a new long term contract...who's rumoured to be sniffing around?

There was a rediculous suggestion on here yesterday that Newcastle had bid 2.5m.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Town refused Brightons request to talk to Douglas earlier this year,he has been sulking ever since.Also there has been unrest in the dressing room including a fight.Not sure who between. watching the town this season compared to last season it is obvious something is wrong.

Plausible ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
well one player we won't be getting is Leon Best who has been out in the cold a bit at Newcastle and might have been a realistic target.

Pardew recalls him to the starting line-up and he has scored 2 goals tonight already

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here