Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnathon Douglas

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd HATE to hear we were after McGovern, or any other right winger...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'd HATE to hear we were after McGovern, or any other right winger...

If it meant the departure of Bennett, than I'd agree. But we've got competition for places just about everywhere else, why not have another winger? If we can't get LuaLua, then McGovern would be a fantastic signing on the right wing. And take that from someone who has seen alot of him. McGovern had the highest number of assists in the league last season, with 16 and I think he'd be a fantastic signing if we could get him for a reasonable fee.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well, not according to official league statistics. I never said he was as good as Bennett, either. But it's not easy having the highest number of assists in this league, especially when your team doesn't win the league.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Got to be honest if Bennett left and we replaced him with McGovern I'd be gutted.

League one is McGoverns level and failed to produce anything at a higher level

Would expect us to think bigger than him if we were to lose Elliott

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Got to be honest if Bennett left and we replaced him with McGovern I'd be gutted.

Have you ever seen him play, or are you just assuming he's not very good because he plays for Swindon? Greer has turned out alright.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We're not losing Bennett unless someone big has come in with megabucks for him. He seems really, really committed to the Albion so would be pointless moving sideways or only slightly upwards.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.

If we lost Bennett I would not mind replacing him with McGovern? Obviously Bennett is miles better but he would be a decent replacement.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

Succinctly put"

We're not losing Bennett unless someone big has come in with megabucks for him. He seems really, really committed to the Albion so would be pointless moving sideways or only slightly upwards.

True.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Anyone who doesn't appreciate how good Sparrow is, just doesn't understand the type of football we are trying to play.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If we lost Bennett I would not mind replacing him with McGovern? Obviously Bennett is miles better but he would be a decent replacement.

If we lose Bennett, then Noone could play on that wing, and with the vast sums at Gus's disposal he could purchase Lua Lua for the left wing and Harley for the attacking midfield role. :thumbsup:

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Anyone who doesn't appreciate how good Sparrow is, just doesn't understand the type of football we are trying to play.

No, he has just gone missing on a few occassions this season. When he's been good (swindon away for example) he's been top class but he's not reached the level of consistancy required yet and his touch/technique does let him down sometimes.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No, he has just gone missing on a few occassions this season. When he's been good (swindon away for example) he's been top class but he's not reached the level of consistancy required yet and his touch/technique does let him down sometimes.

His touch and technique let him down? That's a staggering thing to say in my opinion, absolutely staggering. I can't think of a single occaison where I would agree with that. Brilliant player, and if it wasn't for his injury problems since he's been here, he would be THE key player in our team. I think he's being overshadowed in the midfield by how well Elliott Bennett is playing, but Sparrow is the complete central midfielder. And even better, he adds steel to our team. Fantastic signing, and considering his experience at this level, and at a higher level, he is a very important member of our squad.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think the main issue is Sparrow works best (I'm guessing) in the Lampard role, behind the strikers. Bennett is currently getting in his way but is playing too well to be put elsewhere. I think if Sparrow had a few games there he would get goals and be far more noticeable.

As it is, I think he's doing a reasonable job but there is more to come from him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here