Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Vinicombe RIP

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Indeed very sad news. John followed the great Jack Arlidge on the Argus for both Albion and Sussex cricket. He stamped his own style very quickly and became essential reading. Often after an away game you would see John at the railway station with the Albion supporters asking them what they thought of the game.
In his last years and up to a few weeks ago he was still writing the Friday golf column in the Argus. Always a good read.
One of the best. RIP

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
i grow up in the same block of flats as john, he was a real gent... use to get me albion tickets when i was younger

very sad indeed

RIP

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My uncle used to send me the Argus and I would look forward to reading his match reports when they arrived every Monday or if the post was late Tuesday whilst I was living up north in my teens.

R.I.P

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
What a shame, knew the game, knew the Albion, frankly gone, not fogotten and certainly never adequetly replaced.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Really saddened by this news also. RIP Mr Vinicombe.

His reports and comments were always delivered with great thought and intelligence that a lot of upcoming journalists could learn from.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Very sad news. I remember people waiting at the newsagents for the Saturday evening Argus to arrive. We used to read his report on Saturday AND again on the Monday edition.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Sad news. I always enjoyed reading his view of the game - and comparing it with my own. A good journo who will be missed.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sad news indeed... very much part of the fabric of my younger days.

Another important part of the Albion story goes Up, Up and away! to the great Goldstone in the sky.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Sad news indeed... very much part of the fabric of my younger days.

Another important part of the Albion story goes Up, Up and away! to the great Goldstone in the sky.

What a great way of putting it Titanic. I too grew up reading his reports in the Argus. RIP John, our thoughts are with your family at this sad time.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
A great man & he will be sadly missed!!

It was a pleasure to interview him on the roar. He had so many tales to tell.

As Al said, we will get that particular show on the roar website over the weekend

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
He had to write two match reports - the immediate one that was phoned in to the argus copy takers and which would be staccato in style and then an analysis style version for the Monday paper. Didn't always agree with what he wrote and he often upset the club - he was barred from the cup final banquet and also was slagged off on the radio by Steve foster when transferred to Aston villa. however he Wasnt overly ambitious and had the job he wanted and celebrated the good times for the club - including a post match gin and tonic in a paper cup after the millwall play off victory. A true legend

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Sad sad news. I was unable to go the Goldstone till I was 12. I used to read, read & read again his reports on a Monday. I still have yet to forgive my mum for giving me the Blue Peter Annual one christmas and for giving my brother up up & away.

RIP JV

Part of Albion folklore.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Indeed very sad news. John followed the great Jack Arlidge on the Argus for both Albion and Sussex cricket. He stamped his own style very quickly and became essential reading. Often after an away game you would see John at the railway station with the Albion supporters asking them what they thought of the game.
In his last years and up to a few weeks ago he was still writing the Friday golf column in the Argus. Always a good read.
One of the best. RIP

He was probably asking them what happened in the game so he could ring through his report!!!

muvs

Aug 31, 2011
May well of been covered in previous posts on this thread, but a mark of respect from the Albion at the next home game is required.

I had many great reads as a young lad from John, and that picture of him in the monday reports......he never got older lol

RIP.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Love him or Loathe him.. he was a legend and told it how it was. RIP

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As many have already said, Mr Vinicombe was part of my youth. Sometimes to be agreed with, sometimes to be disagreed with, but always thought provoking. I bet a sadly departed friend of mine will be discussing certain match reports with John in the future. RIP Mr Vinicombe.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Vinnicombe's Virdict.

In the days before the Net, Sky etc, his opinion was important, if only to disagree with it. I have his 3 Albion books but did he ever publis a book of memoirs? I'd bet he had loads of tales about Sussex sport.
Indeed. As has been pointed out in the days before the internet all we really had was the Argus. As a bare minimum in those days I'd get the Saturday edition for the match report (picked up on the way home from the game), the Monday edition for the slightly more measured report, and the Thursday edition for 'Seagull Scene'.

I used to talk to him sometimes at away games (he'd often get the train back). Really open and friendly, and although, like me, he wasn't born a Brighton fan, he did love the club. I'm glad he lived to see us rise up from the depths.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This is indeed sad news. I was an exile for part of the seventies, and used to have each Monday's Argus posted to me on subscription, so keen was I to read John Vinicombe's views of the game.

John Vinicombe was an important part of following the Albion. R.I.P.

Similar situation for me in the 70s and 80s, the copies of The Argus my Dad sent to me in Canada were my only way of keeping up with The Albion and John Vinicombe's reports and features were the first things read.

For myself and many others living overseas in the days before the internet and cheap international phone calls, John Vinicombe was our main link to The Albion. R.I.P. John.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here