Votes: 78 54.5%
  • FENCE

Votes: 10 7.0%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have always said he is over rated. I dont go in for this blood and thunder style of play. All it means is the player in questions spends half his time injured. Give me a more intelligent player, and one who still stay injury free for more than 3 weeks.

He comes across as a twat off the park as well.

Whilst I hate to say it Rio seems to be playing very well and has found a new level of maturity. He is an more skillful, intelligent player and as a consequence doesnt spent long periods with injuries.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In deciding who I wanted to win last night, it sadly came down purely to who I disliked less, rather than who I liked more.

Players I dislike on the Man United side? Ronaldo.

Players I dislike on the Chelsea side? Terry, Cole (A), Drogba, a little bit Lampard.

Terry is a solid Premiership defender, but international class? I'm not convinced. Because he throws his nuts in the way of every ball, the pundits are queuing up to bracket him with the greatest in the game, which IMHO is a mistake.

One of the prime reasons for the failures of the England team over the past however many years is that we seem to value sheer balls over technical ability, ie the bloke who runs and runs and chases around all afternoon over the player who can actually control the football and pass it successfully to a teammate. Terry is the classic example. He might look great in the Premier League, but if you offered him and Rio Ferdinand to Serie A or La Liga clubs, they'd buy Ferdinand every time.

And don't even get me started on his appalling abuse of referees. Chelsea's attitude towards the officials last night was an embarrassment to English football.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In deciding who I wanted to win last night, it sadly came down purely to who I disliked less, rather than who I liked more.

Players I dislike on the Man United side? Ronaldo.

Players I dislike on the Chelsea side? Terry, Cole (A), Drogba, a little bit Lampard.

Terry is a solid Premiership defender, but international class? I'm not convinced. Because he throws his nuts in the way of every ball, the pundits are queuing up to bracket him with the greatest in the game, which IMHO is a mistake.

One of the prime reasons for the failures of the England team over the past however many years is that we seem to value sheer balls over technical ability, ie the bloke who runs and runs and chases around all afternoon over the player who can actually control the football and pass it successfully to a teammate. Terry is the classic example. He might look great in the Premier League, but if you offered him and Rio Ferdinand to Serie A or La Liga clubs, they'd buy Ferdinand every time.

And don't even get me started on his appalling abuse of referees. Chelsea's attitude towards the officials last night was an embarrassment to English football.

I agree with all of this.

You thoughts are the reason why someone like Danny Mills can earn 19 caps and Matt Le Tiss only 8.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The funny thing is, he appears to be copping all the flak for the defeat.

Anelka missed the penalty that ultimately decided the show, but all the viral stuff going around and most of the other internet comment, features a spot of Terry-baiting, while even the national news byline tonight focused on how John Terry can learn to cope with this crushing blow, as if he was responsible.

Bet he's pretty pissed off right now :lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not at all, watch the national evening news if you don't think so.

They had an entire feature on him, during which they showed his penalty miss approximately six times. And I've heard people talking about it loads today, always about Terry and not Anelka.

The fact that I and plenty of others regard John Terry as a touch overrated doesn't make us all sheep.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The papers I read seemed to focus on DROGBA as the villain for getting sent off, Terry as the PLUCKY defender who did his best.

Anelka seems to have got off lightly though...

Dosn't stop Terry being a SPOON though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Anelka is not a big story, but Terry is.

Anelka is the original "Hired gun" mercenary Champions League footballer. He's already played for 3 of the Big 4 and who's to say he won't yet play for Man Utd? What does he care as long as he gets paid?

Don't forget the redtop penchant for building soimeone up then knocking them down.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The fact that I and plenty of others regard John Terry as a touch overrated doesn't make us all sheep.
Richie has already said it for me, what I've read and heard is mainly against Drogba. The fact is that Terry had a good game, everyone agrees except North Stand Sheep. I can accept that people think he's overrated, if that's all you're saying then fine, I understand your reasons. All the other stuff that's appeared on here today painting him as some sort of anti-christ is a classic NSC witch hunt, and it's not even hunting the right bloody person :shootself

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Anelka is not a big story, but Terry is.

Anelka is the original "Hired gun" mercenary Champions League footballer. He's already played for 3 of the Big 4 and who's to say he won't yet play for Man Utd? What does he care as long as he gets paid?

Don't forget the redtop penchant for building soimeone up then knocking them down.

Anelka as a mercenary is a MYTH put about by Arsene Wenger. The same Arsene Wenger who POACHED him from PSG and then made a 20 million quid profit.

Yes Anelka has played for some top teams - dosn't make him a mercenary. Anelka leaves Bolton for Chelsea's bench people SLAG him off. Wright-Phillips leaves a bigger club in Man City for Chelsea's reserves and everyone feels sorry for him.

Anelka is actually quite a religious, family man who puts a lot of money into funding youth football in the poorer Parisian suburbs...

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Only on here, not in the media or the phone ins. You lot are just like a flock of sheep, all following each other round in circles. They should rename this site North Stand Sheep.

Bollocks. Anelka's hardly got a mention in the press. The papers are even quoting Chelsea 'fans' who are blaming the defeat on Terry's shoulders. Drogba's getting it, too, but Terry's getting a bit of a pasting.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Yes, amazing block by him on Giggs in that game, and don't forget his clearance off the line during the world cup. And the first goal for England at new Wembley, against BRAZIL

Quality......

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Look on the other hand a similar player on the other side Vidic. Vidic is probably stronger that Terry in every aspect of his game. Braver, stronger and a more intelligent footballer.
I'd have loved Drogba and Vidic have a ruck for pure entertainment value. Reckon Vidic would of ripped Drogba a new arsehole if it kicked off.
And as already mentioned Ferdinand bails out Terry for England on many occasion, I prefer Woodgate over Terry for England for sure.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Bollocks. Anelka's hardly got a mention in the press. The papers are even quoting Chelsea 'fans' who are blaming the defeat on Terry's shoulders. Drogba's getting it, too, but Terry's getting a bit of a pasting.

To be fair I haven't really seen Terry getting much stick, most people blame Drogba.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I don't know him.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Terry is getting the blame because he missed the penalty that would have won them the trophy.

Anelka missed the penalty that lost them the trophy, if you see what I mean.

Oh and Anelka did blubber like a school girl who had her dinner money chavved

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here