Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Peel style music recommendations thread

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Another musical recommendations thread but lets have it John Peel style, i.e. ANYTHING goes and it is NOT ON to start saying 'oooh thats crap that is...'

As a fitting tribute to the man we should all have a listen to something we might not normally consider...

Nothing new but I LOVE Jurassic 5.

your turn...

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Meade's_Ball said:
Keep listening to the Fiery Furnaces. They'll have 4 albums out this year. I look forward to all of them.

never heard of them...what they like?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
alan partridge said:
never heard of them...what they like?

Their first album was quirky blues rock with occasional electronic shanties. Their second was a vast concept album of eletronica and 70s pop called Blueberry Boat.
This coming year they have an album made with their 82 year old grandmother, one of 8 minute ballads and another of 2 minute pop songs.

They look like this:

img_big_fieryfurnaces.jpg

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Although no longer around I would strongly recommend looking out some music by Urusei Yatsura. One of the best bands never to make it big that I've ever heard.

A Glaswegian band who produced 4 albums and a string of singles One or two reaching the Top 40.

Strongly recommend the album "We are Urusei Yatsura" and follow that with "Everbody loves Urusei Yatsura"

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Thin White Rope

Formed in Sacramento, California, the band initially comprised Guy Kyser, Roger Kunkel, Kevin Stayhoder (ex True-West) and Frank French. "Exploring the Axis" was an exceptionally powerful debut album marked by Kyser's distinctive voice and ragged guitar style. "Red Sun" came from a later album (1988) titled "In the Spanish Cave". Despite limited commercial acceptance Thin White Rope continued to record interesting, if erratic, music and in 1991 released an album on Seattle's Sub Pop label.
(from liner notes on "Americanism"-CD)

Thin White Rope disbanded in 1992. John von Feldt joined the Walkabouts for some time, and Jozef Becker played in the Loud Family, whom he had worked with several times before. Guy Kyser was reported to be involved in botanics. There were some efforts to get back into recording and performing, but it had to last until 2002, when he re-appeared with his new band, Mummydogs. Once again a strong and wonderful record, now spiced up with female vocals by his wife Johanna. But the TWR-ghost is still with them.

What they said about Thin White Rope:

Rolling Stone: TWR is part of a new breed of guitar bands with roots that extend through smart, crunching '70s renegates like Crazy Horse and Television to the bedrock of the Velvet Underground.

Melody Maker: TWR achieve a synthesis of cinema and pure alchemy. Only Neil Young has recently taken the electric guitar to such sensationally cathartic heights and come back to talk about it.

Spin: Kyser is one of the few on the alternative-rock scene who has a truly distinktive voice - loud and growly with a strangely emotional timbre, like an amplified Tom Waits.

Creem: Moody, haggard western melodies, wrenching at work... plus tales about edgy characters in the throes of desert madness whose love was so ill-conceived ad psychotic it could only be consumnated by murder set this band apart from so many others.

Melody Maker: Tension pulsed throngh the songs, pulling between beauty and terror, dank claustrophobia and limitless space, the coiled, trapped energy of the man's voice and the hurtling freefall of guitars. God, they were good.

(Collected by Frontier Records, Thank you Lisa!)

Discography
Guy Kyser (v, g)
Roger Kunkel (g)
Jozef Becker (d)
Stephen Tesluk (b) 1985 Exploring The Axis
1987 Bottom Feeders Mini Album
1987 Moonhead
Guy Kyser (v, g)
Roger Kunkel (g)
John von Feldt (b)
Jozef Becker (d)
1988 In The Spanish Cave
1989 Red Sun
Guy Kyser (v, g)
Roger Kunkel (g)
John von Feldt (b)
Matthew Abourezk (d) 1990 Sack Full Of Silver
1991 The Ruby Sea
1992 The One That Got Away
Guy Kyser (v,g)
Roger Kunkel (g,b,v)
Robert Lloyd (k)
Kevin Staydohar(b)
Stephen Tesluk (b)
John Von Feldt (b)
Stooert Odom (b)
Frank French (d)
Jozef Becker (d)
Matthew Abourezk (d) 1995 Spoor
No more Thin White Rope
but Guy Kyser's comeback band:
Guy Kyser (v,g)
Johanna Kyser (v,k)
Cary Rodda (b)
Paul Takushi (d) 2002 Mummydogs

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
tinx said:
Although no longer around I would strongly recommend looking out some music by Urusei Yatsura. One of the best bands never to make it big that I've ever heard.

A Glaswegian band who produced 4 albums and a string of singles One or two reaching the Top 40.

Strongly recommend the album "We are Urusei Yatsura" and follow that with "Everbody loves Urusei Yatsura"

Strongly seconded.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Hungry Joe said:
Nice idea mate.

They're not going anymore but check out anything you can lay your hands on by Californian Psychaedelic guitar merchants Thin White Rope. Recommended starting point 'In The Spanish Cave' - available from the online Apple Music Store (USA).

Yeah, I remember them. Have a couple of their albums, but on tape, which means I don't really play them any more.

But do you know where the 'thin white rope' reference comes from?!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
bhafc99 said:
But do you know where the 'thin white rope' reference comes from?!

William Burroughs first coined the phrase - and yes it does mean ejaculation...

(Edited because I can't type properly...)

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Anyone who is mystified by Stevie Wonder being lauded so heavily in the threads about the UK Hall of fame for the 70's should by any of the following:

Innervisions
Talking Book
Music of My Mind

No "I just called to say i love you" here.

For something slightly more underground, chilled and Welsh, try Gorky's Zygotic Mynci's best album, Barafundle.

If you have not bought the Kings of Leon album, Youth and Young Manhood. Buy it now, then buy the follow up when it comes out next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here