Jul 6, 2003
mendoza10 said:
Imagine there's no albion,
It's easy if you try,
No games before us,
premiership only on sky,
Imagine all the people
living at withdean...
Now THAT verse should have won the 'Football Poet' competition, it's far better than that Aston Villa one!

Back to the real version - vastly overrated IMO. Boring tune, rubbish words. Lennon was only good with McCartney - and vice versa.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
"It's good, but it's not the one", in the words of the great Roy Walker - I simply can't see it as a great/ the greatest song, it's just got quite clever lyrics

As for "Queen were completely devoid of artistic integrity, and full of pretentious overblown hype" - the pretentious side was wholly self-deprecating, and with regards to no artistic integrity ...:salute:

Dandyman

In London village.
crasher said:
I'm sorry but it's smug, inane, hippy drivel.

In my opinion.

Spot on. One of the worst songs ever IMO, made worse by that awful video of Mr Smug Hippy Git driving around Manhatten in his white Roller telling us to imagine no possessions. Twat.:tosser:

Somebody above described it as smug and inane. Too f***ing right.

Just imagine, this, Lennon:

somebody sat at a huge grand piano in a huge grand house on a huge grand estate singing "Imagine no possessions".

Sorry, we don't have to imagine it, do we, because some fuckwitted twat has already been filmed doing that.

Last edited:

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Really crap, self-indulgent, insipid song.

As for Queen, don't get me started..........

FWIW My favourite song of all time (for today) is "Shout to the Top" by the Style Council. I can't believe that's nearly 20 years old.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
Barnet Seagull said:
Musically it's a classic.

Lyricly? lame.

Musically it's a feckin dirge. If you want something that sounds good and has a "message" from that era I'd far rather go for Curtis Mayfield, the Staples Singers, the Last Poets or something of that ilk.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Dandyman said:
Musically it's a feckin dirge. If you want something that sounds good and has a "message" from that era I'd far rather go for Curtis Mayfield, the Staples Singers, the Last Poets or something of that ilk.

It is dirge.

What Iwas trying to say in a round about way was that it's a very well built piece of music. Very simple, natural progressions with a consistent slow tempo. Classically simple and very easy on the ear.

Not my taste either. Chappers probably would think it "nice" however. :D

Last edited:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I like John Lennon but try to avoid this song.

'Imagine no possessions' sung from a white mansion.. sorry, too much hypocrisy

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
His career was fading, people were demonstrating against the Vietnam war and jumping on the peace bandwagon was a cynical career move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here