Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joel ward

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Ward for 400k represents very good business for Palace. Can cover a variety of positions too. With that in mind I am slightly surprised we were not interested.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
They finished 17th this year with williams and zaha, and are replacing a better 'premier bound' player in Clyne, with a solid but lesser player in Ward.

that makes them slightly weaker not stronger, though think you're on a wind up!

I think having Gardner, McShane, Jedinak, KG and Williams missing for our last 8 games had a big impact on our final position. We played a left back at CB, no defensive mids and a lot of youngsters and ultimately paid the price position wise.

I find it pretty odd that some people are considering us one of the favourites to go down, we're only a couple of key additions away from being able to challenge for the top six IMO and the Clyne money will give us a chance hopefully.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think having Gardner, McShane, Jedinak, KG and Williams missing for our last 8 games had a big impact on our final position. We played a left back at CB, no defensive mids and a lot of youngsters and ultimately paid the price position wise.

I find it pretty odd that some people are considering us one of the favourites to go down, we're only a couple of key additions away from being able to challenge for the top six IMO and the Clyne money will give us a chance hopefully.

fair enough, but with these players prem bound as you say, your hardley going to get any big name replacements, so cant see you filling you ground either.....but ward is good buisiness for you

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

Aren't Garvan and O'Keefe defensive midfielders?

Agree that you shouldn't be in amongst the favourites to go down

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Aren't Garvan and O'Keefe defensive midfielders?

Agree that you shouldn't be in amongst the favourites to go down

Have you seen Garvan tackle? I certainly haven't! O'Keefe is going to be a decent player but it wouldn't be fair to rely on a 20yr old to do a resounding job at DMF just yet. His passing can be atrocious but we really missed Jedinak.

I think replacing Clyne should be the least of our worries. Right backs generally aren't the most difficult to replace and by all accounts Ward is a very good replacement. With the other 2 million or so I hope we sign a bloody striker as we've lost Calvin Andrew.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Have you seen Garvan tackle? I certainly haven't! O'Keefe is going to be a decent player but it wouldn't be fair to rely on a 20yr old to do a resounding job at DMF just yet. His passing can be atrocious but we really missed Jedinak.

I think replacing Clyne should be the least of our worries. Right backs generally aren't the most difficult to replace and by all accounts Ward is a very good replacement. With the other 2 million or so I hope we sign a bloody striker as we've lost Calvin Andrew.

How will you ever replace Calvin Andrew, where are the goals going to come from now?!

Don't think I've ever seen Garvan play actually, just thought when we were close to signing him he was talked about as a defensive midfielder!

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
How will you ever replace Calvin Andrew, where are the goals going to come from now?!

Don't think I've ever seen Garvan play actually, just thought when we were close to signing him he was talked about as a defensive midfielder!

Tell me about it, we'll miss his goal next season.

Garvan sits defensively and has excellent vision but is too slow and goes missing in away games. I expect he'd actually excel at Brighton though as he's not the finished article.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
Saw a great quote from a Leeds fan (who was annoyed at ward choosing palace over them) "why would he want to go to palace? Selhurst park has so little atmosphere they use it to train astronauts!" :)

D

Deleted member 18477

Good player, also expecting another couple of players in this week I heard.

Looks like Clyne is off to Newcastle though, with Danny Simpson heading to Fulham,

Danny Simpson has had an outstanding season for Newcastle.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Business is being done elsewhere but not a sniff here - not sure that this is good news, especially with the likes of Mattock out of contract, surely this is a deal that could have been done quickly ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ward...meh. Average player in a poor team. The only reason anyone's heard of him is that he's about the only player in the past ten years that Pompey have actually produced themselves, hence their fans were more supportive of him and backed him to succeed. They felt he was one of them. I'm not saying he's a dud, just that he's nothing to write home about. He'd be a sort of Ian Chapman figure: never going to be a great player but tries hard and is locally born & bred so always had the supporters on his side, whatever he did on the pitch.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
Good player. Suprised they were able to dig out 400k without knowing Clyne and co are off.

Might fancy a little flutter on a Brighton promotion/Palace relegation..

Your post shows your ignorance of the situation, go ahead with your bet and back your delusional comments.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Your post shows your ignorance of the situation, go ahead with your bet and back your delusional comments.

You're the only person so far who thinks so.

Congratulations on Ward. Now, in your opinion, do you think you'll start this season with Cylne, Zaha, Speroni, Ambrose, and Parr? I can't see you keeping all of them..

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Solid player, decent signing at the price. Deffinitely better value than the £7million for Rodriquez! And the £25billion for Zaha.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Spoke to someone at Pompey today and he said he was a good player, but a bad attitude, he thinks he is the bees knees apparently, so sounds like a room mate for Murray ?

Crenol

Jan 22, 2012

Congratulations on Ward. Now, in your opinion, do you think you'll start this season with Cylne, Zaha, Speroni, Ambrose, and Parr? I can't see you keeping all of them..

Clyne is as good as gone, but Ward is the replacement probably. He is unlikely to be as good as Clyne but in this league you don't need an amazing right back, you just need a solid, decent one. Zaha will stay or go for silly money as we don't have to sell him. Speroni will stay. Ambrose may go but he will probably stay. Parr will stay.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Spoke to someone at Pompey today and he said he was a good player, but a bad attitude, he thinks he is the bees knees apparently, so sounds like a room mate for Murray ?

Joel Ward - head sponsor of "Christian Faith and Football" - thinks he's the bees knees? I've heard the complete opposite. All of the comments on all of the articles I've seen from Pompey fans are gutted that he's leaving, they see him as a club hero and say he's got a fantastic attitude.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011

We only signed Parr last season and he has got our POTY award, he has settled in brilliantly. Clyne will definitely go. Zaha will probably stay, if he doesn't we get a massive fee to spend on a few new signings. Ambrose has publicly asked for a new contract. Speroni has signed a new 3 year contract and has been at Palace for 10 years now - he loves the club and the club loves him.

I think we'll keep all of them except Clyne who has already gone - he just has to decide between Newcastle or Man United now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here