Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The crazy thing is, Ajax fans online seemed quite happy for him to leave, saying how he was prone to blunders too often. Some were even laughing at us for signing him. I just can't fathom how that came to be, he's been so reliable for us

He’s been a brilliant defender in a much harder league for two seasons.

Their loss, our gain.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
The crazy thing is, Ajax fans online seemed quite happy for him to leave, saying how he was prone to blunders too often. Some were even laughing at us for signing him. I just can't fathom how that came to be, he's been so reliable for us

Ajax & Dutch national fans turn against players who aren't obvious flairmeisters very easily (they've only recently grudgingly begun to rate Van Dyke). They're not as impressed by quality defending & shithousery as we are. Netherlands would've probably won a shedload more tournaments if they had been

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ajax & Dutch national fans turn against players who aren't obvious flairmeisters very easily (they've only recently grudgingly begun to rate Van Dyke). They're not as impressed by quality defending & shithousery as we are. Netherlands would've probably won a shedload more tournaments if they had been

Oh, they had their enforcers in the Cruyff era teams - and pretty constantly ever since, make no mistake!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Pound for pound (financially) he has to be one of the best ever signings the club has made. Goes under the radar more often than not but quietly goes about his job brilliantly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any ideas why Joel decided not to celebrate Groß goal choosing instead to get in Rice's face.

Marvelous scenes

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
10/10 again. Love the player and the man :lolol::albion2:

He’s a brilliant defender and team-player, oozing game intelligence.

Craftily dark arts, even after we scored involved in heated ‘debates’ with Rice et al.

I'd give Veltman a 10 too. Faultless & absolutely bullied West Ham's two giant lumps
MoM

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Brilliant recruitment. My favourite player

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think he has been a brilliant buy.
I don't think anyone would have predicted quite how many games he would end up playing over the past few seasons, but I can't actually recall him having a bad game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pound for pound (financially) he has to be one of the best ever signings the club has made. Goes under the radar more often than not but quietly goes about his job brilliantly.

To appreciate his craft and concentration, you need to actually be at games, to note his positioning and decision making.

The perfect defender.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Had him at 28/1 to score at anytime today, thank you Joel, a superb season from a great clubman.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This has been his best season for us. A quality player.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can't be bothered to trawl through the thread to find comments, and it's not really about the people who said it, but weren't there a few questioning why we bought him when lampty had that spot sewn up? Turns out to have been a smarter buy than realised at the time. More than just back up, but has allowed Lamptey to be used as a winger, too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can't be bothered to trawl through the thread to find comments, and it's not really about the people who said it, but weren't there a few questioning why we bought him when lampty had that spot sewn up? Turns out to have been a smarter buy than realised at the time. More than just back up, but has allowed Lamptey to be used as a winger, too.

Two good players in every position is the aspiration and experienced Veltman is a far superior defender.

Great scouting/opportunism by the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here