Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Cole

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It is also someone that couldnt get into a RUBBISH England team because he was being kept out by Lennon, Wright Phillips and Milner who were toilet (well Milner played well once)

If we're valuing by the England summers performance, there are about 23 players in the prem that my nephew could buy with his pocket money - and still have change.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you actually trying to defend someone who said his wages "weren't astronomical"?

but international players in the top teir of English football dont get paid £400 a week. that get paid 10's of thousands a week. so whats your point? or is the term "context" not understood?

Redknapps comment should be read that Cole is not earning as much as the £90k (i notice £100k creeping in to discussion, i like how these things inflate), which he considers astronomical for a footballer. so one might conclude that Cole is on... i dont know, it would be random guess and still astronomical compared to average earnings, but thats not the context of the discussion.

do they have discussions on film forums about how many millions much actors get? or music forums bitching how much songwriters get?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
England have just had ANOTHER shit summer tournament and the team is as unpopular as it has ever been. The Premiership continues to represent all that is bad in sport and people are turning off in favour of other alternatives.

I say committing to pay Joe Cole £95K every week for the next 4 years in this present climate represents an astronomical salary for a player who was an England and Chelsea reserve, who hasn't set the world alight for at least 2 years and who will be in his thirties (and on the wane) for two-thirds of the deal.

Well done Cole's agent for spotting Liverpool are completely desperate, using Spurs as leverage and getting a super deal for his client.

but international players in the top teir of English football dont get paid £400 a week. that get paid 10's of thousands a week. so whats your point? or is the term "context" not understood?

Redknapps comment should be read that Cole is not earning as much as the £90k (i notice £100k creeping in to discussion, i like how these things inflate), which he considers astronomical for a footballer. so one might conclude that Cole is on... i dont know, it would be random guess and still astronomical compared to average earnings, but thats not the context of the discussion.

do they have discussions on film forums about how many millions much actors get? or music forums bitching how much songwriters get?

This is the quote:

From what I know, compared to other players in the Premier League now, he's not being greedy at all," Redknapp told Sky Sports News.

"He just wants a good deal and rightfully so - he's a free agent and he's worked that situation nicely - but I know he's not asking for anything astronomical, like what is being portrayed in the press.

Sky Sports | Shows | Sky Sports News | Cole's no gold-digger

I think it is a very, very poor choice of words from Redknapp, and shows contempt for the people that have normal jobs and live in a different world and that ultimately pay his wages (through their Sky subscriptions) and the wages of these professional footballers.

The whole thing completely sickens me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This is the quote:
From what I know, compared to other players in the Premier League now, he's not being greedy at all," Redknapp told Sky Sports News.

"He just wants a good deal and rightfully so - he's a free agent and he's worked that situation nicely - but I know he's not asking for anything astronomical, like what is being portrayed in the press.

Sky Sports | Shows | Sky Sports News | Cole's no gold-digger

I think it is a very, very poor choice of words from Redknapp, and shows contempt for the people that have normal jobs and live in a different world and that ultimately pay his wages (through their Sky subscriptions) and the wages of these professional footballers.

The whole thing completely sickens me.

A poor choice of words? "compared to other players in the Premier League " - He has clearly used his words to frame the context as in the premiership.

It's unfair to dismiss half of what he says and then decide to take offence at the part you have decide to focus on taking out the part that grounds the comment.

That first line is the proviso, it is putting the context there that so many people, in a rush to prove they're proper football fans because the high wages offend them, are ignoring. He specifically says "compared to other players in the Premier League".

A poor choice of words? "compared to other players in the Premier League " - He has clearly used his words to frame the context as in the premiership.

It's unfair to dismiss half of what he says and then decide to take offence at the part you have decide to focus on taking out the part that grounds the comment.

That first line is the proviso, it is putting the context there that so many people, in a rush to prove they're proper football fans because the high wages offend them, are ignoring. He specifically says "compared to other players in the Premier League".

So because they're all greedy kants it's okay? Funny people weren't saying that when demanding that Sir Fred Goodwin pay back some of his earnings, or that bankers at certain banks don't get paid bonuses...

And I'm sorry, I really don't accept your point about the use of the word 'astronomical'. I don't think it requires a context, and I don't think that the use of a context excuses it. I'm perfectly happy to accept that's just my opinion though.

Incidentally, according to Deloitte's, the average Premiership footballer earns £21,600 a week, so even in that context he's asking for pretty steep wages!

Average Premiership salary now £1.1M-a-year | Premiership News | tribalfootball.com

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
who's the plum, Redknapp or the guy on the football forum that thinks he know what wages a player is on because the Sun said so? the full quote is "but I know he's not asking for anything astronomical, like what is being portrayed in the press."

Maybe it's the Guardian who are the plums for reporting he is getting 90k a week? He IS clearly on around that amount because that is what near enough every media outlet is reporting. People out there clearly get wind of these kind of things.

From his own article in the Daily Mail: "he wasn't asking for astronomical amounts, he wasn't being greedy." is the quote. As others have said, dress it up how you like - it's still astronomical. Whatever way you look at it; earning 90k a week is astronomical. Right or wrong, it IS an astronomical amount of money.

And even in the context of Premier League footballers, 90k a week is astronomical. But Redknapp didn't provide that context from what I saw of the interview, and thus he came across (as usual I might add - "he is literally on fire" "the ball literally explodes" "he literally hasn't got a right foot" - amazing that he can be a tv pundit without understanding the basics of English. He talks like a 15 year old American girl.) as a plum.

If he'd have said "in relation to what the top-earners in football are on he wasn't asking for astronomical wages" then he wouldn't have comes across like such a twat. But he didn't.

He also claimed that Cole wasn't being greedy. Now, I don't have that much of a problem with Cole being greedy because if someone's gonna pay him it he might as well take it, although I'd prefer it if he (and other footballers for that matter) were honest about it. If one of them came out and said "Yeah, I am being a bit greedy, but I'd be mad not to take the money they're offering me" I'd have a little more respect for them because at least they'd be being honest about it. When they come out with all their shit about it not being for money-reasons they just take the piss.

But for Redknapp to suggest he wasn't being greedy just smacks of awful media-spin so mug Liverpool fans think he's joined them for pure footballing reasons and not because they're offering him 90k a week for 4 years.

It'd be like Brighton fans thinking Greer joined us for footballing reasons and not because we're offering him better money and a three-year contract

(as usual I might add - "he is literally on fire" "the ball literally explodes" "he literally hasn't got a right foot" - amazing that he can be a tv pundit without understanding the basics of English. He talks like a 15 year old American girl.)

O/T but my favourite Jamie-ism was about 3 years ago when he said that Paul Scholes 'can literally stop time'. Just imagine how good that would be. :laugh:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
It'd be like Brighton fans thinking Greer joined us for footballing reasons and not because we're offering him better money and a three-year contract

:ohmy: how dare you. He came to the BIG club who are easily gonna tear division 3 apart, unlike Swindon who clearer are not going to cut it after losing Billy Painter

the same goes for Jim McNulty joining us too, by the looks of it, but that didnt work out well. Dare I say Glenn Murray started off like that with us too?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So because they're all greedy kants it's okay?

YES. because it an expro footballer talking about a pro footballer wage in the premeriship. i dont think Goodwin was paid too much *in relation to* other bank and buisness executives (though he was paid too much for being shit at his job). really that highlights the point its all an argument about the general salaries paid to the elite in football, which is rather a seperate issue to Cole himself. theres no reason to single out his wages from all others.

Maybe it's the Guardian who are the plums for reporting he is getting 90k a week? He IS clearly on around that amount because that is what near enough every media outlet is reporting. People out there clearly get wind of these kind of things.

its funny though how that amount is the supposed wage demands at Chelsea that they turned down. who would release that information, in whose interest is it? then its gets repeated and regurgitated until its now a fact.

i dont even know why i care, not really my problem what people think. just annoys how the media feeds and no one questions :moo:

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The thing is, Liverpool are saving money when compared to an equivalent deal buying a quality player from another club even with slightly less wages.

A player of Cole's class would cost at least £15million, even assuming they had wages of £70,000-a-year for four years, that's a total of £29m with the fee. Liverpool are shelling out only £19m, or less if he leaves sooner.

All that said, my hunch is he's made a big mistake. The Gerrard/Carragher axis must have done a great sales pitch in South Africa. He'd have been brilliant at and for Spurs at home and in Europe, while I can't see Liverpool doing better than sixth next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here