Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Cole. Have the rules changed?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I see Joe Cole has been released the Chelsea, is this with immediate effect?

If so does that mean he cannot play for England as a free agent?

I saw a film about 1966 and it explained Moore's contract had run out at West Ham and he was rumoured to be joining Spurs after the tournament but it ended up that the West Ham secretary had to go to the England hotel and re sign him as FIFA said he couldn't play without being registered to a club side.

Long time ago I know, so have the rules changed?

Or will Arsenal or Man City be putting a press release out before the US game?

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I didn't think that such a thing as a free agent existed until the Bosman ruling?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I didn't think that such a thing as a free agent existed until the Bosman ruling?

But I seem to recall the film explained that Moore's West Ham contract ran out at the end of June 1966, which is why he had to re register.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I'm pretty sure that a couple of the New Zealand players are 'unattached'.

Dandyman

In London village.
it may be academic but I think Cole's contract runs until the end of the month. He can join Spurs on a free after that.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
it may be academic but I think Cole's contract runs until the end of the month. He can join Spurs on a free after that.

Hwe wont be short of an offer thats for sure. Spurs will be one but i dont think he will go there, far bigger clubs will be sniffing around him

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Hwe wont be short of an offer thats for sure. Spurs will be one but i dont think he will go there, far bigger clubs will be sniffing around him

I tend to think that United might suit him better for some reason. Nothing against spurs, I think they have a pretty good team now, but Fergie would get the best out of him.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I tend to think that United might suit him better for some reason. Nothing against spurs, I think they have a pretty good team now, but Fergie would get the best out of him.

Rooney would be amazing with Cole on one wing and Valencia on the other... hell, even Berbatov might be able to find the net with that kind of service.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

It appears his agent has ruled out going to Man Utd, thus Fergie is pointlessly going after Modric who they couldnt afford before he signed his contract, so there is no way they can now.

Is between Spurs, Arsenal and City in my view. I dont think he will go to Arsenal, I just cant see him fitting in there as they need a ball winner rather than another attacking midfielder.

City, Yes.... If he wants the money he will go there, the worry is he turned down Chelsea because of the money so I think they are favs to sign him.

Im hoping the Harry factor and being in with a chance of being in the Champions League will sway him, plus its still in London.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I would hope that playing at the world cup would be enough motivation, but the fact that he's also playing to a worldwide audience for his next contract can't be a bad thing for England fans!

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
It appears his agent has ruled out going to Man Utd, thus Fergie is pointlessly going after Modric who they couldnt afford before he signed his contract, so there is no way they can now.

Is between Spurs, Arsenal and City in my view. I dont think he will go to Arsenal, I just cant see him fitting in there as they need a ball winner rather than another attacking midfielder.

City, Yes.... If he wants the money he will go there, the worry is he turned down Chelsea because of the money so I think they are favs to sign him.

Im hoping the Harry factor and being in with a chance of being in the Champions League will sway him, plus its still in London.

Are you a spurs fan by any chance? That's the most biased post ever! :laugh:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think Cole is hoping that his stock will rise during the world cup, enabiling him to earn an extra few grand a week. And who can blame him? I would if I was lucky enough to be in his situation.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Harry said on Five Live that he thought Cole had already been tapped up.

If he wants to stay in London, it must surely be London, if he wants a chance of trophies, United, if he wants to maximise his earnings, Citeh.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
More importantly could Ballack fill the Crofts shaped hole in the centre of our midfield?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Dont rule out the scousers yet, id rather play for Liverpool than Spurs.
He is a london boy however.

Arsenal will definately try in my opinion, they need a ball winner sure but Cole is way ahead of lthe likes of Walcott, Eboue and would fit nicely into there pattern of play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here