Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Job well done or Pile of steaming shite?

England V Trinidad: Job done or Pile of Shite

• Job done

Votes: 50 54.3%
  • Pile of shite

Votes: 42 45.7%

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Trufflehound said:
I guess no one told Argentina...

What you talking about? Don't you know that at least three of Argentina's goals are going to be posthumously removed from the record books because this is the modern game and it's impossible for one team to put six past another?

harold robbins

Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:
No disguising the fact that, again, we were utter garbage. We must once again cling to the hope that we will get better when the opposition does. But thats an assumption that has been terribly exposed in the last two tournaments.

Hope is dangerous, but its all we have.

I think that is just about spot on.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
garry nelsons left foot said:
What you talking about? Don't you know that at least three of Argentina's goals are going to be posthumously removed from the record books because this is the modern game and it's impossible for one team to put six past another?

They got the early goal. That forced Sebia to try and get a goal back. This leaves more gaps to score. Three of those goals were scored against 10 men trying to score 3 goals. Without the early goal Serbia would have been happy to hang onto a 0-0 draw and Argentina would struggle to break them down.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Lammy said:
They got the early goal. That forced Sebia to try and get a goal back. This leaves more gaps to score. Three of those goals were scored against 10 men trying to score 3 goals. Without the early goal Serbia would have been happy to hang onto a 0-0 draw and Argentina would struggle to break them down.

It's debatable whether S&M would have been happy to hang on to a draw. I seem to remember their players laying into the coach about their negative tactics and demanding a more attacking approach after their defeat to Holland. Although, on the form Argentina displayed today...

But that's just me being argumentative! As for your other points I agree entirely. If you're using them as a parallel to the England game, then I also agree. However, the way that the Argentinians went about the game is how I would have liked to have seen England (at least try to) play. But we didn't. We were slow and laboured.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
garry nelsons left foot said:
It's debatable whether S&M would have been happy to hang on to a draw. I seem to remember their players laying into the coach about their negative tactics and demanding a more attacking approach after their defeat to Holland. Although, on the form Argentina displayed today...

But that's just me being argumentative! As for your other points I agree entirely. If you're using them as a parallel to the England game, then I also agree. However, the way that the Argentinians went about the game is how I would have liked to have seen England (at least try to) play. But we didn't. We were slow and laboured.

If serbia were going for the win from the off then that would offer Argentina more space.

There are a lot of people on here who seem to think that it is easy to beat a team that is putting 10 men behind the ball and doing man to man marking of your play makers. What ever standard you are, if you simply do not wish to conceed and have little interest in scoring you are very hard to beat. Hence why Chelsea win so many games 1-0 often scoring late.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Lammy said:
If serbia were going for the win from the off then that would offer Argentina more space.

There are a lot of people on here who seem to think that it is easy to beat a team that is putting 10 men behind the ball and doing man to man marking of your play makers. What ever standard you are, if you simply do not wish to conceed and have little interest in scoring you are very hard to beat. Hence why Chelsea win so many games 1-0 often scoring late.

I think we agree on most things then! I'm not complaining about the scoreline, or how difficult the task of breaking a well organised, stubborn side playing for a draw is. I'm just dissapointed in the way we went about breaking them down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here