Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Job well done or Pile of steaming shite?

England V Trinidad: Job done or Pile of Shite

• Job done

Votes: 50 54.3%
  • Pile of shite

Votes: 42 45.7%

• Total voters

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
eastlondonseagull said:
Bring on the big boys :clap2:

Big Boys..........you must mean Ron Jeremy!

mario-jeremy.jpg

Yoda

English & European
Icy Gull said:
Germany are always committed and organised, we are struggling on both counts at the moment so No.

But they were SHITE at the last World cup (apart from when they played the Saudi's) and got to the final.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No disguising the fact that, again, we were utter garbage. We must once again cling to the hope that we will get better when the opposition does. But thats an assumption that has been terribly exposed in the last two tournaments.

Hope is dangerous, but its all we have.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yoda said:
But they were SHITE at the last World cup (apart from when they played the Saudi's) and got to the final.
They played Saudi, Ireland, Cameroon, Paraguay, South Korea and USA on the way to the final.

Frankly, the Albion would've got there.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:
They played Saudi, Ireland, Cameroon, Paraguay, South Korea and USA on the way to the final.

Frankly, the Albion would've got there.

Is a declaration of independence in the Seagulls Party manifesto? That would make such a triumph a real possibility.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Despite two shit performances, this is still our best opening to a World Cup since 1982. We always start badly, so why should this year be any different?

It's nice for once to go into the last game already through, instead of biting our nails needing a result.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Trufflehound said:
It's nice for once to go into the last game already through, instead of biting our nails needing a result.

Was thinking the same thing. Depening on the outcome of the Group A fixtures the day before, we'll know just what we have to do to have a nice last 16 fixture.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
BarrelofFun said:
The amount of possession we have turned over with these long range efforts in both games is ludicrous.

The pundits on Dutch TV were having a field day with that. Being a little country they are always prone to yapping like a small dog at their "big" neighbours, and never miss an opportunity to slag us and the Germans off. But last night it was one long string of "moan moan kick & rush moan moan long ball moan moan etc."

One of the saddoes was actually counting during the first half. Apparently there were 14 long range efforts that failed, and 4 that actually found their man.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
What a lot of people are missing is temas like T&T and Paraguay are going to try a get a draw from England, try to beat each other and maye win against Sweden.

If you try to play against a team that has little interest in attack it is very hard to break them down. No matter how shit they are.

Against Paraguay I thought we were poor. We were not a poor side last night at all! My only frustration was all the long shots! Hence why Owen was not involved. We created plenty of chances to win the game and in the end we did.

I thought Sven's subs were the right ones and at the right time. i.e. they had enough time left in the game to make an impact!

Owen missed two chances that he should have put away, Lampard missed about three chances and Crouch missed a couple too. Without playing any differently we could have won by 7 goals! People on here would then be creaming themsleves! It all about when the goals went in. If say Owen and Lampard put one away each and we still missed all the others, including the ones we did actually score everyone would be happy.

I thought we played a very professional and patient game against a opposition that was out to make life very difficult. Sweden couldn't score against them don't forget. We didn't panic and just carried on know that if we kept createing the chances we would get a result. Which we did. We bang on about how Sven doesn't have a plan B and fails to react when things aren't going right. Well last night he did have a plan B, he reacted when he needed to and we got the result.

I'm feeling very encouraged. We're gradually winding up the gears!

BRING ON SWEDEN!

Yoda

English & European
Lammy said:
Owen missed two chances that he should have put away

How the hell was Owen meant to put that first one away? A contortionist would have had trouble adjusting their body to put that away.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Yoda said:
How the hell was Owen meant to put that first one away? A contortionist would have had trouble adjusting their body to put that away.

The first one being the rebound or the free header?

But does it even matter. Just think 6-0 instead of 7-0

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Gareth Southgate made a good point on TV, he said the days of putting 6 or more past the minnows are long gone, they study all the vieos etc and know all the players, and they defend like toopers . . .sometine it takes over an hour to break them down. Like Germany it took us most of the game to break them down, but we did, and we won, if the game had gone on another 15 minutes we could have scored 5

asides all that, 2 games, 2 wins, no goals conceded so we shouldn't complain, winning when not playing well is a good sign.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
zefarelly said:
Gareth Southgate made a good point on TV, he said the days of putting 6 or more past the minnows are long gone, they study all the vieos etc and know all the players, and they defend like toopers . . .sometine it takes over an hour to break them down. Like Germany it took us most of the game to break them down, but we did, and we won, if the game had gone on another 15 minutes we could have scored 5

asides all that, 2 games, 2 wins, no goals conceded so we shouldn't complain, winning when not playing well is a good sign.

Couldn't agree more. Not only did we break them down we also created a hat full of chances too! If we had scored our first tow chances rather than our last two everyone would be happy.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Lammy said:
If we had scored our first tow chances rather than our last two everyone would be happy.

But then, if we had scored our first two chances the turgid, urgentless(is that a word?) performance wouldn't have mattered as it would have been a case of running down the clock and 'job done'. As it was, the lack of urgency, the lack of cohesion, the poor passing, the aimless hoofs downfield, the comical fininshing were all done at a time when we needed to score.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
garry nelsons left foot said:
But then, if we had scored our first two chances the turgid, urgentless(is that a word?) performance wouldn't have mattered as it would have been a case of running down the clock and 'job done'. As it was, the lack of urgency, the lack of cohesion, the poor passing, the aimless hoofs downfield, the comical fininshing were all done at a time when we needed to score.

Was I watching a different game? From what I remember we created a hat full of chances to their one.

I agree our finishing wasn't great but we will always score if we create that many chances.

They were there to man mark and put men behind the ball and play for 0-0. They did this very well against Sweden and very nearly pulled it off against us too! T&T are no walk over. We still managed two goals. Had we scored earlier they would have been forced to actually attack a bit which would have exposed them.

Some people on here need a reality check. The World Cup is not about strolling past any opposition. It never has been. The teams there are well organised and most players are playing at the highest level.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
zefarelly said:
Gareth Southgate made a good point on TV, he said the days of putting 6 or more past the minnows are long gone, they study all the vieos etc and know all the players, and they defend like toopers . . .

Like Jamaica? :lol:

It was a job done. It's not like Trinidad & Tobago were all over us was it? I think SEVENTY per cent possession to us says it all. As expected, a well organised team came along and put 9 men in their half and played keep-ball, the same as piss poor teams such as Azerbaijan and Albania do in the qualifiers.

Did anyone on here honestly expect a 6 or 7 goal hiding? I predicted 1 or 2-nil before the game. Cricket scores in World Cup games are a thing of the past.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Lammy said:
Was I watching a different game? From what I remember we created a hat full of chances to their one.

I agree our finishing wasn't great but we will always score if we create that many chances.

They were there to man mark and put men behind the ball and play for 0-0. They did this very well against Sweden and very nearly pulled it off against us too! T&T are no walk over. We still managed two goals. Had we scored earlier they would have been forced to actually attack a bit which would have exposed them.

Some people on here need a reality check. The World Cup is not about strolling past any opposition. It never has been. The teams there are well organised and most players are playing at the highest level.

Maybe you did see a different game to me. I know Trinidad's game plan was to put everyone behind the ball and play for 0-0. That was to be expected and I'm sure (or at least I hope) our management were aware of this before the game. Forewarned is forearmed and all that, except I saw a team that didn't look particularly forearmed.

I saw a team that was slow . We lacked urgency, we didn't move the ball quickly and until the subs came on there was little movement to pull their players out of position and even less movement to take advantae of those gaps. I saw a team that in the first half created one great chance and a few half decent ones. I saw a team that had left it's shooting boots at home so that when we did create a half chance it went begging. Time after time. I saw a team that very quickly resorted to long balls to Crouch, most of which weren't particularly accurate.

The fact that we had so much possesion isn't that impressive, we were playing T&T after all, the fact that we had so much possesion and failed to do too much with it is more worrying than the amount of possesion is pleasing.

As I said, if we'd have scored from our first two chances then the rest of the game would have been about closing it out, to which end 70% possesion would have been a great stat to point to. Yet we didn't score our first two chances, but still played as I've described above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here