Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy Mac plays his last game 4 the albion!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Villa didn't target Jimmy.

Villa saw that we don't have any balance to our midfield, saw Centre and thought too many there, saw Right and tried a few times but saw left and thought there's no-one there so much space infront of McNulty and nobody is really there helping him out.

But I'm sure glad that we play Navarro.

I know you love McNulty but really? he started off poorly and Villa deliberately targeted his side for the entire game they were deliberately switching the ball left because Young was having so much success, he played poorly yesterday, but as I said, it was against world class opposition so its not really a surprise.

Unlike most on here, I don't think Dicker, McNulty ect are immune to criticism.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Calderon had great cover from Bennett
McNulty had no cover

Little wonder villa targetted our left and he certainly suffered as a result. The surprise to me was that GP did nothing to correct it until too late Cox came on late in the second half.

Factually Elphick was more culpable in the first goal - McNulty gave it away but was nearer halfway than the goal. Elphick dived in when he should have stood up on the edge of the penalty area.

However we are a league 1 side playing against some of England's finest wide men so no way I am going to pan anyone for doing a more than honest job

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Unlike most on here, I don't think Dicker, McNulty ect are immune to criticism.

Immune to criticism? :lol:

Are you kidding? Alot of our players are immune to being praised. Certainly there's no patience for anyone. How long was McNulty out for? How long has he been back. Right then. Give him a break. I think Painter coming in will help him, he seems short of match fitness and sharpness, which is perfectly acceptable. I think the truth is that Gus will have already seen how good he is technically, and Painter is the short term cover for our long term left back. Show the man some respect, he's a good player finding his feet back in the first team. He's certainly not helped by having to play the left wing all on his own! Tactical stupidity, for my money. But that's another story.

Jimmy McNulty = form is temporary, CLASS is permanent.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Have we actually seen any evidence of McNulty being able to defend in his time at the club?

Nope.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Immune to criticism? :lol:

Are you kidding? Alot of our players are immune to being praised. Certainly there's no patience for anyone. How long was McNulty out for? How long has he been back. Right then. Give him a break. I think Painter coming in will help him, he seems short of match fitness and sharpness, which is perfectly acceptable. I think the truth is that Gus will have already seen how good he is technically, and Painter is the short term cover for our long term left back. Show the man some respect, he's a good player finding his feet back in the first team. He's certainly not helped by having to play the left wing all on his own! Tactical stupidity, for my money. But that's another story.

Jimmy McNulty = form is temporary, CLASS is permanent.

When has he shown this class? even before he got injured I really cannot remember him putting in a great performance, I'm not trying to knock him, because I like the bloke and I feel hugely sorry about his injury but I'm not convinced by him at all.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Moan, moan, moan. :nono:

Give it a rest lads. He'll be our first choice left back from the start of next season, when the real fun begins. This season is just Poyet deciding what he wants to do. Much like 99/00 was for Micky Adams, just trying out a few things and finding out what works.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
When has he shown this class? even before he got injured I really cannot remember him putting in a great performance, I'm not trying to knock him, because I like the bloke and I feel hugely sorry about his injury but I'm not convinced by him at all.

You might not be able to remember it, but in my view he was our best player in each of the four or five games he played before his injury last season. He wasn't brilliant yesterday but we do have an imbalance on the left, as has been mentioned, and I hope we can bring someone in this week because Dicker is wasted out there.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You might not be able to remember it, but in my view he was our best player in each of the four or five games he played before his injury last season. He wasn't brilliant yesterday but we do have an imbalance on the left, as has been mentioned, and I hope we can bring someone in this week because Dicker is wasted out there.

Millwall away, being case and point. :thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Millwall away, being case and point. :thumbsup:

a few good mazy runs and stepovers, yep.

But did he do much defending?
Are there any games where he stood out defensively?

Stepovers and gloves don't mean he's the untouchable saviour I'm afraid. Poyet has clearly seen this, and got in a decent left back who can actually defend.
:shrug:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Stepovers and gloves don't mean he's the untouchable saviour I'm afraid. Poyet has clearly seen this, and got in a decent left back who can actually defend.

He did a fair amount of defending at Millwall I think you'll find, and we kept a clean sheet with a defence incorporating both El-Abd AND Virgo. Brilliant performance that was, from all involved. Unfortunately, he's not played many games for us and it gives people like yourself cause to doubt him. Which is fair enough, we've not seen enough of him to know how good he's going to be. But you can't genuinely dislike people thinking the best of him?! You can't dislike people wanting to him to succeed and do well for us, and you can't dislike people for taking a shine to his flairistic nature. Surely?

Painter is here until the end of the season, on loan. He's not a permanent signing. Like I said before, Painter is the short term cover for our long term left back. When we can get Jimmy Mac a proper run in the side, or even a proper run in the reserves so he can get his fitness and sharpness back, you can criticise with actual basis and reason. For now, though, you just seem bitter that everyone likes him.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

Bollicks. The back 4 were epic that day. I know it's your 'thing' to take the piss out of our popular players but the McNulty crucifiction is getting a bit ridiculous. I notice on the player ratings thread you have seen that a few people have praising Calderon so you though you should stick the knife in and provlaim we've signed another player who can't defend. It's all a bit childish really.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I can remember a few of the games he played (pre injury), Peterborough (2-4 loss), Crewe(0-4 loss), Carlisle(0-2 loss), Southend(1-3 loss)?[not sure about this one], Milwall(1-0 win)

Only one of those games did he show any defensive merit imo, however I will reserve judgement on him for a while, lets see if/how he plays in the next few games.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
He did a fair amount of defending at Millwall I think you'll find, and we kept a clean sheet with a defence incorporating both El-Abd AND Virgo. Brilliant performance that was, from all involved. Unfortunately, he's not played many games for us and it gives people like yourself cause to doubt him. Which is fair enough, we've not seen enough of him to know how good he's going to be. But you can't genuinely dislike people thinking the best of him?! You can't dislike people wanting to him to succeed and do well for us, and you can't dislike people for taking a shine to his flairistic nature. Surely?

Painter is here until the end of the season, on loan. He's not a permanent signing. Like I said before, Painter is the short term cover for our long term left back. When we can get Jimmy Mac a proper run in the side, or even a proper run in the reserves so he can get his fitness and sharpness back, you can criticise with actual basis and reason. For now, though, you just seem bitter that everyone likes him.

Hold on a minute. Some observations.

The fact that I can't remember him having more than one good game for us gives me cause for doubting him. It's not because he's not played enough games, it's because he's not played well enough when he has featured!

"We haven't seen enough of him to know how good he's going to be"
So how come you've decided he's "class" earlier on in the thread.

"When we can get Jimmy mac a proper run in the side you can criticise him with actual basis and reason"

He's just had one. And wasted it, by defending poorly. As a result, we've signed a better left back. And going by your "can't criticise as we haven't seen enough of him" theory, then surely we "can't praise him" for the same reason?

What a load of toilet. Throw in the fact that you've confessed on here that you've barely seen him play, and it appears you're talking out of your backside i'm afraid.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I can remember a few of the games he played (pre injury), Peterborough (2-4 loss), Crewe(0-4 loss), Carlisle(0-2 loss), Southend(1-3 loss)?[not sure about this one], Milwall(1-0 win)

Only one of those games did he show any defensive merit imo, however I will reserve judgement on him for a while, lets see if/how he plays in the next few games.

And the score when he got so horribly injured against Crewe... was what? You'd do well to remember that the 4-0 loss had alot to do with playing them with 10 men for a long time, because of losing our left back. Not that facts need get in the way of a good "argument" to criticise.

Reserving judgement is a good thing to do, but a bit late when you condemn him in a paragraph above it!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Bollicks. The back 4 were epic that day. I know it's your 'thing' to take the piss out of our popular players but the McNulty crucifiction is getting a bit ridiculous. I notice on the player ratings thread you have seen that a few people have praising Calderon so you though you should stick the knife in and provlaim we've signed another player who can't defend. It's all a bit childish really.

Erm, no.

I saw Calderon yesterday and his defending was woeful, with him frequently out of position. He looked good going forward.

However, he was up against an England midfielder. Only when I've seen him against League 1 opposition will I be able to reasonably see if we've signed another dud or not.

And I'm not taking the piss out of a popular player, i'm merely stating what's apparent to anyone who actually bothers to watch the football, including Poyet. He's not performing well defensively, and as a result has been dropped in favour of this Birmingham chap who has actually proven himself in this league.

Rather than rushing to slate me for this opinion, you might want to argue it by considering the fact that perhaps McNulty's poor performances are down to poyet, and his reluctance to sign/play a left midfielder. Therefore, he perhaps gets forward more than he would ordinarily, and is getting exposed down the left as a result. But perhaps it's easier to call someone 'childish' than talk about the football seriously.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
And the score when he got so horribly injured against Crewe... was what? You'd do well to remember that the 4-0 loss had alot to do with playing them with 10 men for a long time, because of losing our left back. Not that facts need get in the way of a good "argument" to criticise.

Reserving judgement is a good thing to do, but a bit late when you condemn him in a paragraph above it!

I do/have not judge him, I give my opinion on his performances in the games mentioned, which imo were not good enough, in my opinion he has done nothing to prove he is this 'class' player you speak of.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hold on a minute. Some observations.

The fact that I can't remember him having more than one good game for us gives me cause for doubting him. It's not because he's not played enough games, it's because he's not played well enough when he has featured!

"We haven't seen enough of him to know how good he's going to be"
So how come you've decided he's "class" earlier on in the thread.

"When we can get Jimmy mac a proper run in the side you can criticise him with actual basis and reason"

He's just had one. And wasted it, by defending poorly. As a result, we've signed a better left back. And going by your "can't critice as we haven't seen enough of him" theory, then surely we "can't praise him" for the same reason?

What a load of toilet. Throw in the fact that you've confessed on here that you've barely seen him play, and it appears you're talking out of your backside i'm afraid.

Impatient, dismissive, arrogant, stupid. :wozza:

There really isn't any need to be so cynical and grumpy. I'm sure Painter will make a mistake in the coming games, and then you'll turn on him too. It's pointless. I don't see the point in going to every game if you're just going to look for reasons to criticise and moan about players. :yawn:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I do/have not judge him, I give my opinion on his performances in the games mentioned, which imo were not good enough, in my opinion he has done nothing to prove he is this 'class' player you speak of.

And in my opinion he's already shown himself to be class on the ball, and I like that in a player. That's a start, and as far as I'm concerned, I've seen no reason to criticise the chap.

Despite him giving away a penalty to Swindon. :tantrum: But I got over that one mistake because he's just getting back in the side after a long break with injury, having played no reserve team football to prepare or anything. Realistically, it takes any player time to get back to their best form and personally, I've seen enough of him to think he could be a bloody good player for us. Alot of people agree with that, and rightly so. I'll give him a chance before writing him off.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Impatient, dismissive, arrogant, stupid. :wozza:

There really isn't any need to be so cynical and grumpy. I'm sure Painter will make a mistake in the coming games, and then you'll turn on him too. It's pointless. I don't see the point in going to every game if you're just going to look for reasons to criticise and moan about players. :yawn:

Ah, there it is.

Realise you're argument is spectacularly flawed and contradictory, and resort to slagging me off. Happy days.

:clap2:

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
with no real width on the left of midfield, mcnulty pretty much has to deal with everything any team sends down our left.
yer he gave the ball away a few times, everyone did yesterday. but we cant forget that we were playing against premiership quality players, including internationals. we aren't against that every week in league one, mistakes against the bigger teams rarely go unpunished

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here