Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Jimmy Carr

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
He has covered most of those topics (see below) and most people who went to his shows appeared to find them funny :shrug:

The heckler who he retorted “if you want my come back, you’ll have to scrape it off your mothers teeth” literally made me spit my drink out. As devastating heckler replies I’ve never heard better. That guy was sent packing, walking back to the pavilion bowled for a duck looking a right ****!!! Brilliant. Genius in fact.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Firstly he’s not a brilliant comedian, he is average at best . He is obsessed with rinsing his fans for every penny he can , look at his social media , it’s all about buying his book or his tour tickets .

Lots of people make some mistakes but he knew what he was doing , making a joke out of the most single evil event in modern history is not funny and it has nothing to do with pc behaviour it is simply being a decent human being.

That’s how I see comedians I don’t like. But it’s not true. We just don’t like them and find every reason, using irrational hatred, to dislike them. It’s the human condition.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Firstly he’s not a brilliant comedian, he is average at best . He is obsessed with rinsing his fans for every penny he can , look at his social media , it’s all about buying his book or his tour tickets .

Lots of people make some mistakes but he knew what he was doing , making a joke out of the most single evil event in modern history is not funny and it has nothing to do with pc behaviour it is simply being a decent human being.

Also during the 80s, those jokes were standard. Comedians take risks, and don’t get it right regularly. Reading the room is a professional risk. But when they say “my wife” “my sister” etc before a joke, you do realise it’s not? They’re simply trying a story to tell a gag. Doesn’t mean that’s their view or they believe. It’s all made up. Jimmys a decent bloke, anyone who thinks his gag makes him a Jew bater and hater is a fool.

I also think when you go to see close to the edge comedians at some point they will offend everyone. You can’t pick and choose which bits you laugh at and then seek moral high ground on others. Though people do. I pity those people. When it’s your turn to be picked on, just go along with until the target moves on. That’s the way comedy roles in my view.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The heckler who he retorted “if you want my come back, you’ll have to scrape it off your mothers teeth” literally made me spit my drink out. As devastating heckler replies I’ve never heard better. That guy was sent packing, walking back to the pavilion bowled for a duck looking a right ****!!! Brilliant. Genius in fact.

The show I went to he asked the audience if there were any lesbians in the audience, several women shouted out (knowing exactly what they were in for) he picked one then let rip, she loved it, no one walked out .. everyone happy. He did the same with other people. Obviously, shows on Netflix take him to a wider audience and some people who don't know about his type of humour might find him offensive but that doesn't give them the right to speak for every member of a particular group/religion demanding an apology or a cancelling.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
For some reason people see anti Romany prejudice as acceptable. I have worked with teachers that reserved their bile for all gypsies. They could see nothing wrong in holding such opinions and being expected to treat all children equally.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Can someone explain the difference between Carrs ‘joke’ and the tweet that got an Albion fan a criminal record and an indefinite ban at the Amex?

I can’t discern much difference between them, apart from one was by a multi millionaire tax dodger, and the other was a kitchen fitter..

Should the kitchen fitter just said” it was a joke, don’t you get it?”in his own defence?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I used to enjoy Jimmy Carr's standup. He'd make some risky jokes but wouldn't step over the line. I saw him at The Dome in Brighton about 10 years ago and thought he was great.

These days he just seems to take it too far. I watched his latest Netflix show a couple of weeks ago and some if it is just a bit uncomfortable to watch. Much like Frankie Boyle, it's now all about trying to say the most outrageous things you can.

I like Boyle.

Carr lacks insight. He's deffo 'on the spectrum' but he is bright and should have the wit to check his material, like what I do. Most of the time. Ahem.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I didn't find it offensive neither did I find it particularly funny. Its a pretty standard comedic construct to portray a sympathetic viewpoint and then tip it upside down with a contrary statement, most comedians do it in one shape or form. I don't believe Jimmy Carr is racist as a result of this one joke and I don't imagine he harbours any particular ill feeling towards Gypsies. What makes one person laugh makes another person angry, saying Carr is a shit comedian is your opinion not a fact. Are all the people at his show racists because they laughed at his joke? Of course not. It isn't racist, he makes it clear time and again in his shows that what he says are just jokes, poking fun at people or groups of people, highlighting clearly ridiculous opinions to make his point. Years ago we used to make Englishman, Scotsmen, Welshman, Irishman jokes all with common tropes thrown in , these jokes didn't encourage racism or promote it they were generally seen for what they were, just jokes. I don't see any difference with Carr's joke but clearly these days anything remotely connected to race, gender or sexuality seems to garner a disproportionate hysterical reaction. It sets Twitter and social media ablaze with fury all in the pursuit of clicks and followers rather than a genuine noble cause to defeat racism or prejudice of any kind.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Jimmy Carr cracks joke meant to shock however many years ago.

Definitely newsworthy and needs a thread to discuss between entrenched left and right halfwits.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Cowardly scumbag. Remember his 'hilarous' riff about us having the best Paralympic team post the Afghanistan conflict.

Which would have probably gone down well if had gone out to do the gig in Kabul to Servicemen, but not to a crowd in Guildford.

Got more respect for Jim Davidson who at least walked the walk out there...

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Jimmy Carr cracks joke meant to shock however many years ago.

Definitely newsworthy and needs a thread to discuss between entrenched left and right halfwits.

Since you posted on this thread, which side halfwit are you?
Left or Right?

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
This is key.:

Those annoyed by the joke don't win, they just get annoyed.
Those annoyed by the criticism of the joke don't win, they just get annoyed.
Jimmy Carr doesn't win.
The GRT community doesn't win.

The only winners in any of these outrages are always the people who get paid for people's reactions whilst taking none of the responsibility: Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
It was like a Bernard Manning joke. Trying to teach GCSE history I had to show students the prevailing attitudes of the early seventies. I showed them a clip of Manning telling a sexist gag then he said there was a tragedy last week when a Japanese plane crashed killing all 95 people on board. The punchline was, 'The tragedy was there was 5 empty seats'. The 25 kids sat there with their mouths open in shock. Then a Pakistani boy said 'What a racist c**t!' I gave him a gold star for observation.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
He's just copying Gervais

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here