Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Jimmy Carr

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I am a fan of Jimmy Carr I like his very near the knuckle humour this is racist and an not be seen as funny

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is it a fact? Or is just something people say at they don't get young people and think things were better in their day

No Keaton I am sure it’s true. The younger generations are much more conscious that a lot of humour is or can be offensive because it crosses the boundary… I’m really not bothered myself if it does.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Is there any other section of society he could say this about as not be quite rightly flamed for?

If he had said it about Jews, Black people, or Asians, ( the usual racist targets) he would probably never work on TV again, tell a ‘joke’ about GRT, and he will be feted for how edgy he is.

He’s a racist,and deserves to be completely ostracised.

He’s as bad as Jim Davidson.

I take it you've never seen him live then. No one is off limits. He specifically explains upfront about what his show will be like and constantly says each time he is "upping the ante". His intention is to make people think about what order they respond ... Ha! Oh, No. Or No. Ah Ha! When you look at any joke of his in isolation it's deeply offensive, look at the entire show, and it's offensive but you understand why.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So, you think Carrs comments are okay?

I notice that Carr doesn’t have a pop at Jews or Asians or blacks. Could be he knows hat , that is a bit too far beyond the pale, and that it’s really not acceptable these days and it might affect his bottom line. But Gypsies, yeah , let’s have a pop at them, cos no one likes them!

The man is a racist coward.

As others have mentioned, Carr has one segment during his live show where he tells increasingly offensive jokes, covering numerous topics, testing the audience sensibilities and reactions, I have been to one of them. There is no malice or racist intent and everyone (including people from all ethnicities and sexual orientation) who goes to his shows know what they are in for. Unfortunately, someone on social media has lifted a clip from many years ago taken it completely out of context to whip up a bit of hysteria.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Unfortunately, someone on social media has lifted a clip from many years ago taken it completely out of context to whip up a bit of hysteria.

Someone?! The person who posted it, Mikey Walsh, states as his bio "Gay Romany Gypsy feller, with muppet eyebrows. Author & livver of the 'Gypsy Boy' Book series."

Hardly just "someone", but "someone who has every right to call Carr out."

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Someone?! The person who posted it, Mikey Walsh, states as his bio "Gay Romany Gypsy feller, with muppet eyebrows. Author & livver of the 'Gypsy Boy' Book series."

Hardly just "someone", but "someone who has every right to call Carr out."

"Someone" looking for a bit of publicity who had to go back several years to find something to be outraged about?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm agnostic towards Carr. Sometimes he amuses me, sometimes he doesn't; but joking about gypsies in the holocaust is pretty grim and shouldn't be a subject of jokes. It's not exactly cutting edge either is it? The holocaust happened 70 or 80 years ago.

But there is no denying the reason it got laughs - it's because a lot of people simply don't like gypsies.

Gypsies really should be aware of their image problem and that they could perhaps help themselves more. I won't comment on their reputation for thieving but I will about their reputation for leaving a mess wherever they go because I have seen it countless times personally. Whenever they rock up locally to me, they leave a shocking mess which the council is then expected to clean up.

However, they are also not accommodated properly by society. Don't expect this particular (crap) government to do anything to resolve that though, because that would mean raising tax to buy land they could properly use. And this government only ever does short-term thinking.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I take it you've never seen him live then. No one is off limits. He specifically explains upfront about what his show will be like and constantly says each time he is "upping the ante". His intention is to make people think about what order they respond ... Ha! Oh, No. Or No. Ah Ha! When you look at any joke of his in isolation it's deeply offensive, look at the entire show, and it's offensive but you understand why.

I must be a bit thick.
Having grown up in a small Sussex village during the 60s and 70s with 3 Asian foster siblings I can’t find racism that humourous.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
.... divides the reader

This is key.:

Those annoyed by the joke don't win, they just get annoyed.
Those annoyed by the criticism of the joke don't win, they just get annoyed.
Jimmy Carr doesn't win.
The GRT community doesn't win.

The only winners in any of these outrages are always the people who get paid for people's reactions whilst taking none of the responsibility: Twitter, Facebook, etc.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
The audience didn’t seem offended.

Still, if people are easily offended in life, best not listen to comedians.

I didn’t find it funny BTW.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is the trap that "intelligent" comedians sometimes fall into.

The joke does highlight the audiences' hypocrisy because they wouldn't have laughed if the target of the joke has been Jewish people.

That said you don't tell that joke at the expense of another minority, especially when context is nothing if people can now post clips on social media.

I get very annoyed with comedians like Carr who think they are "above" the reaction and get equally annoyed with other "educated" comedians who defend it on the basis of free speech.

Stewart Lee nailed it. If Jimmy Carr's material was ok, Jim Davidson wouldn't steal it.

I've never found him funny anyway, he's a one trick pony and it appears much of NSC is in agreement.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I see a time coming when he is basically cancelled. I think a part of him wants that. He’s a tax dodging millionaire, many times over who had a very questionable relationship with his mother. Throws amazing parties apparently. And that’s all I know about him.

If I’m after a “Jokes man” I’ll go for Tim Vine, all day long.

"had a very questionable relationship with his mother."

What is this about? Google search didn't help

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I understand what Carrs apparent justification of telling ‘ jokes’ like this one is. He would argue, far from being personally racist, he is pointing a spotlight on the hypocrisy of people in general. I think he is very wrong.
A certain percentage of his audience won’t understand his aims. They’ll have a good old belly laugh at the Gypos, they will go away and repeat the ‘joke’ to their mates, who will repeat it, and eventually, things like this become socially acceptable.

It’s not acceptable, it should never be acceptable.
Where is the limit on shock humour? Is it acceptable to tell jokes about childhood cancer, is it okay to tell jokes about the rape gangs, is it okay to tell jokes about Jewish deaths in the holocaust, how about Japanese prisoners of war being starved and tortured to death?
C’mon Jimmy, let’s hear some pearlers about those topics.

I doubt he would, because somethings are quite rightly not funny.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Team Jimmy, like him a lot and he’s a brilliant comedian / tv presenter.

He got a gag wrong, a professional risk that’s increasingly risky. Give it 10 years and comedians won’t exist at this rate.

He should be allowed to apologise and move on. But of course that’ll never happen. Too many hypocrites handwringing out there. Expect him to be cancelled with immediate effect.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I understand what Carrs apparent justification of telling ‘ jokes’ like this one is. He would argue, far from being personally racist, he is pointing a spotlight on the hypocrisy of people in general. I think he is very wrong.
A certain percentage of his audience won’t understand his aims. They’ll have a good old belly laugh at the Gypos, they will go away and repeat the ‘joke’ to their mates, who will repeat it, and eventually, things like this become socially acceptable.

Where is the limit on shock humour? Is it acceptable to tell jokes about childhood cancer, is it okay to tell jokes about the rape gangs, is it okay to tell jokes about Jewish deaths in the holocaust, how about Japanese prisoners of war being starved and tortured to death?

The problem is nobody’s right. We all laugh at different things. One man’s freedom fighter is another’s terrorist and all that. Although everyone finds Crystal Palace amusing. The gift that keeps giving…

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He got a gag wrong, a professional risk that’s increasingly risky.

Not with a joke like that though.

I'm fully aware of his material and how edgy he is. He has a place.

However, I cringed when he tells jokes about the disabled without any irony or context. They don't offend me, but you know they will get repeated to abuse people.

I use to feel the same about Little Britain, when I heard some teenagers making jokes about a man in a wheelchair.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

He has covered most of those topics (see below) and most people who went to his shows appeared to find them funny :shrug:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Team Jimmy, like him a lot and he’s a brilliant comedian / tv presenter.

He got a gag wrong, a professional risk that’s increasingly risky. Give it 10 years and comedians won’t exist at this rate.

He should be allowed to apologise and move on. But of course that’ll never happen. Too many hypocrites handwringing out there. Expect him to be cancelled with immediate effect.

Firstly he’s not a brilliant comedian, he is average at best . He is obsessed with rinsing his fans for every penny he can , look at his social media , it’s all about buying his book or his tour tickets .

Lots of people make some mistakes but he knew what he was doing , making a joke out of the most single evil event in modern history is not funny and it has nothing to do with pc behaviour it is simply being a decent human being.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hang on. So disliking the ruining of cricket pitches is akin to wishing genocide ? Blimey

When THE annual thread appears, at the tail end of the summer, it'll be full of 'genocide's too good for 'em', and the thread will be considerably more populated than this one.

Far be it for me to (badly) deconstruct Carr's joke.

But my take is:-

The negative reaction to the joke feeds 10 minutes of another show.

He could say the positive reaction validates the joke.

Finally, people go to Jimmy Carr to be offended.
Carr's set up is about the Holocaust.
Audience has a pique of 'hes not going there' excitement.
Followed by a good laugh at the punchline mixed with relief.

It's not for me, but there is a craft to the work of him, Frankie Boyle, (an American comic on Netflix who's name escapes me).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here