Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jesse Lingard's best position?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why is it that we leave him up front for corners, then? Is it because the management want to keep Buckley back for his heading ability, or is it because they think Lingard is quicker?

Lingard quicker the Buckley?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

If Buckley had the chance JL had at the start of the Ipswich game, the defenders would never have caught him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why is it that we leave him up front for corners, then? Is it because the management want to keep Buckley back for his heading ability, or is it because they think Lingard is quicker?

For what they offer as help in defending I would leave Lingard and Buckley up 1 in the centre circle and 1 out wide that would mean the team taking the corner would have to leave at least 3 men back, 1 on each player and 1 splitting them as cover, they may even leave 4 men back.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

If Buckley had the chance JL had at the start of the Ipswich game, the defenders would never have caught him.

i don't think anyone can challenge that point its beyond doubt.......but Lingard i would say is faster than Conway..but that may be all about perception

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Left back in the changing rooms...? (Buckeridge, 1951)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm glad I managed to induce some laughter, and have to concede that I got a bit carried away with things, so thanks for pointing that out. My original point was that Lingard is clearly quicker than Conway. It might be the case that Lingard is not as quick as Buckley, but it might also be the case that you're thinking about Buckley past, as opposed to Buckley future, who has to acknowledge and adjust to hamstring problems, thereby preventing him from going full pelt, especially over longer distances.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Until he puts a bit of muscle on, I don't think there is a position for him at the level of football we aspire to. He just so lightweight and easily knocked off the ball. In view if this he should pass the ball a bit more instead of trying to take on the world. Has some promise but in a few years.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
As he did when KLL came on on Tuesday.
His movement is really good, and he's quick. We just need to create some goalscoring opportunities for him. I like him a lot, but can't see him becoming a regular in the United team: he's 21 already.

United rate him as one of the best ever to come out of their ranks. High praise indeed if you consider the quality of talent they have nurtured in the past 20 years.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He seems a bit lightweight and doesn't seem to gel with the midfield. If Barnes had been in the team yesterday in his place he's probably have scored.

No comparison. Lingard is a far, far better player. Barnes consistently missed chances.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
No comparison. Lingard is a far, far better player. Barnes consistently missed chances.

I didn't say otherwise. But I think Barnes played more for the team and Lingard seems a bit of a lone wolf.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I didn't say otherwise. But I think Barnes played more for the team and Lingard seems a bit of a lone wolf.

100% agree Barnes busted a gut for the team. But he lacks Lingard's talent IMHO. Lingard should be given time to settle in, but that time is now about up, i.e. I expect more from him from tonight onwards.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I think Lingard has a great team attitude; his tracking back and work rate has made him worth his place even if he doesn't look like he'll score many.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Still waiting. Must be coming soon. I mean he has great potential and all that, doesn't he ?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He had our best shot yesterday, almost scored too with the one that set up the penalty and generally looked lively. Thought he was decent on the whole. Sometimes makes the wrong decision at the vital moment but that's why he's on loan gaining experiience.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I think Lingard has a great team attitude; his tracking back and work rate has made him worth his place even if he doesn't look like he'll score many.

'Doesn't look like he'll score many' why is he not a striker? We don't want another striker that can't score many, we have one of them already. The team doesn't have tiem to wait for Jesse and although I believe it has no connection this run of bad form has coincided with his arrival at the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here