Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jenson Button - World Champion

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh, and to pretty much everyone on this thread, get the f*** off the bandwagon and get a mind of your own.

Nobody is saying he hasn't earnt it, of course he has. Over the course of this season, he has won the most points and thats all there is too it.

But I'm not sure this automatically CATAPULTS Button into some kind of F1 "legendary" status, as some slightly OTT fevered reactions seem to be claiming. Jesus, even Jaques Villeneuve won it once, and you'd hardly put him in the pantheons of the greats.

Its good to have an englishman once more claiming the title. But he's not half the driver the likes of Mansell was, and I'm not even convinced he was as good as Damon Hill. But thats just the nature of motorsport. The driver is just one element of the team. Its like saying Ronaldo won the Prem last season - good as he was, there was a hell of a lot going round him that helped win him that medal.

Buttons a good driver in the right car, at the right time. Like others before him, that doesn't rank him as an all-time GREAT, nowhere near. But he done good this season, and good luck to him.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | Why Button is a worthy champion

By Martin Brundle
BBC F1 broadcaster

It was a wonderful, breathless Brazilian Grand Prix.

There were cars out of position on the grid, accidents galore, handbag fights on the side of the track, a safety car, wildly varying strategies, Finns setting fire to each other in the pit lane and brilliant overtaking moves.

And through it all came Jenson Button to clinch the world title with a champion's drive, yet again as the star overtaker in an era where passing is a rare treat.

Button seemed to know exactly when to push his luck and when to get out of the throttle. Several brave moves could easily have seen him tipped in the barriers. He also put a lot of faith in some new boys when he passed Romain Grosjean, Sebastien Buemi and particularly rookie Kamui Kobayashi.

(continued in the link)

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I agree with you. None of the quality drivers in F1 had a car that could compete for enough of the season to win the title. Therefore it became clear very early on an average driver would win it. And that would have been the same had Barrichello or Webber won it too. Vettell obviously will be better than the lot of them, but even if he had won it THIS season you'd have to question whether he's really champion material.

As you say, Brawn were the one team who took advantage of the massive rule changes at the start of this season and that allowed them to win the early races. It wouldn't have mattered who had been driving for them, they would have won those races. And from there, try as he might, even Button couldn't lose it. Fair play to Brawn - everyone else could have taken advantage but they didn't. And Brawn did. So on that basis the team deserve success. But that doesn't make Jenson Button any better or worse than he has been for the last seven years.

And everyone leaping on his bandwagon on this thread is a joke. A thread started by a Raikkonen fan and followed up with 80 posts by people who, this time last year, wouldn't have given Jenson Button a second's thought in an entire season. Sums it up really. I trust there will be a similarly enthusiastic response and as many Button fans this time next year when he's finished, let's say, tenth? No, thought not.

mate you really need to get laid if other peoples opinions on Button rile you up this much, seriously dude.....go ring a hooker.....get to the revenge and some man cock up you or bash one out over your best mates mums tits........seriously.....trust me.......the relief will mean alot :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's just something about Button I don't like very much that prevents me REVELLING in his triumph, I can't quite put my finger on it. I think there's a lack of class and humility about the guy. The toe-curling singing of "we are the champions" in the cockpit. The repeated "I'm world champion BABY" interviews....I dunno, I just find him a bit of a turn-off. Coulthard would be far less insufferable, and he's SCOTTISH for christs sake.

I am a grumpy bastard though. I openly acknowledge this.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
It doesn't rile me, I just feel pity. All this "it's the greatest day of my life" rubbish about someone you haven't even supported until the last three months is pathetic. There are inevitably a very small band of genuine Button fans who will have followed his career and supported him through the shit times (much like I've done with King Lewis this season, although I accept half a season at the back isn't too traumatic compared to seven years) and for those people I'm genuinely happy. Really I am. But everyone else pretending to be excited is really really sad.

Or maybe it's just me and I need man cock?!

and BREATHE for the love of god, what I'm getting at is theres much more to life than wasting ages writing on NSC arguing a pointless point!!*

*yes I get the IRONY my end but I'm waiting for someone and BORED until they arrive innit :jester:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BoF, he overtook Buemi (one of the worst drivers on the grid), Grosjean (one of the worst drivers on the grid) and Kobayashi (first ever grand prix). So I'm not sure what point you're making.

Incidentally, Lewis and Sebastien both started behind Button on the grid and finished ahead of him, so if we're going to have an overtaking debate then he wasn't even the best yesterday.

I am not really a fan. I always seem to find myself over at a friends house during a Grand Prix and him and his fiancee are GP nuts. From my very basic knowledge of the sport, it is always going to be a risk overtaking a rookie as they will (generally) be prone to errors.

From what I gather, drivers generally exploit the system with a better car.

When Hamilton won it, he had 7 pole positions and 5 victories.

Button has 4 poles and 6 victories.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
It doesn't rile me, I just feel pity. All this "it's the greatest day of my life" rubbish about someone you haven't even supported until the last three months is pathetic. There are inevitably a very small band of genuine Button fans who will have followed his career and supported him through the shit times (much like I've done with King Lewis this season, although I accept half a season at the back isn't too traumatic compared to seven years) and for those people I'm genuinely happy. Really I am. But everyone else pretending to be excited is really really sad.

Or maybe it's just me and I need man cock?!

Note to Badger : Its not football. You can ''support'' more than 1 driver you know. I don't sit at home at any time with a Lewis 1 T shirt on anymore than I do a Jenson World champion Jumper but both winning championships got me out of my seat and gave me a spring in my step the next day.

The only saddo round here is you. A BRITISH driver in a BRITISH Car wins a World Championship and you act like someone has mugged you on the way to work.

Cheer up or get laid.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Absolutely brillant drive by Jenson, but he will be only keeping warm for Hamilton next season. Because next season F1 will be absolutely awesome, and I'm going to throw my hat into the ring and say next season will be the most closest season ever!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
sweet jesus Badger...........GET LAID ALREADY!!!

I'm off now to discuss supporting BRITISH drivers in car racing which is what I do best :thumbsup:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
No, you can't PROPERLY support more than one team or driver. They're in direct competition with each other. It's like supporting two premier league sides. Or two cricket teams. You just can't do it.

You can have a fondness for more than one I'll accept, but you can't passionately be behind them all the way. Otherwise what happens when your two men are head to head on track? Inevitably you'll prefer one, and that's the one you support. Do Germans support 1/4 of the field just because they're German? Of course not. They may like to see their guys do well but it's not "support."

Well I do and I have. This year I wanted to see Jenson get the points and last year Hamilton.

Overall, If I had to pick, Jenson's triumph gave me more pleasure but then he almost ran my brother in law over when marshalling years ago and that's always been bonus points in the memory bank. That and the fact I could watch the celebrations and not have to clean up baby puke which happened the previous year.

Good luck to both of them next year.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Massive congrats to Jenson who fully deserves the title. A superb drive on Sunday to finish off the first half of the season where he owned the rest of the field, including Rubens in an identicle car. I'm not going to get into the shit of who's better than who because it's all just opinion. It's just great to see a British driver and a British team taking the glory. Full credit should go to the architect Ross Brawn and I've got to admit getting a little emotional myself when the big guy welled up during the interview at the end.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's a great story, the bloke was unemployed 10 months ago, to say nothing of having been written off as useless after the arrival of Hamilton. I doubt a world title has ever been so sweet to the winner.

The bandwagon-jumpers are wading in already I see - Mayor of Frome, Sports Minister...

On the plus side, however, an opportunity for gratuitous pics of his bird.

2504kf4.jpg

:clap2: We need more!!!

Jessica_Celeste_Michibata.jpg

jessica-michibata-8.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here