Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jenson Button - World Champion

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
There are some seriously disingenuous posters on this board, honestly.

If you see an amazing piece of architecture do you think the designer had a brilliant drafting desk? Or a great house so the builder had an amazing trowel? An artist only got success because of his brushes, Hendrix was only top because of his guitar?

Button has a great car, but HE won - and he won by good driving
...Not quite the same discussion though is it, I would liken it more to whether Simon Sherwood was a brillient jockey because he rode Dessert Orchid to six wins in a row, or whether the horse would have won had he had any reasonably capable NH jockey riding him.

I would say that Jenson Button has done a fine job, and is a worthy champion BUT his championship was due to his car equally, if not more than, his driving skills.

If I wanted a driver to drive a race for my life, JB wouldn't be that high on my list despite him being this years champ.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Both Brawn and Red Bull have been utterly superb this season, both teams managed and largely manned by British Engineers.

Motorsport is one of few remaining turnkey industries which remans successful in this once great country.

F1, like Premiership football can cloud/shame the sports

I look forward to seeing a world cup finals/final with as much excitement as 2009 F1

PS I'm not a big F1 fan, but racing & cars is my business these days
I compete more on a BHAFC level, albeit a 60's one!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As my username and avatar suggests i'm a Ferrari fan but i got 66/1 at start of season on Button winning championship,i done it because of the Brawn effect,so well done Jenson and my bottle of Bushmills will taste nice and sweet.

Damned f***ing flukey you didn't put your money on 'Grammatics' then Mr Fiat fan :lol:

I got an E in my English 'o' level :bigwave:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I just need to point out to those that don't know that the name of my home town is pronounced 'Frome' as in 'broom'.

It does not rhyme with the city 'Rome'

Thankyou.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Get in Jenson, well done. Had to listen to it on the radio in the car driving back from the Rugby in Bath.

Well deserved, drove a great car brilliantly at the start of the season, and rode his luck in the 2nd half. Back to back British WC winners. wooo hooo!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Fantastic Stuff!! Well done to JB - not to mention The Braunmeister in the team's debut season. Marvelous scenes innit :clap2:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
when i woke up this morning i had to log straight onto the bbc website to make sure yesterday was not just a really really good dream

jenson button - world champion. never have four words when put together sounded so good

...Not quite the same discussion though is it, I would liken it more to whether Simon Sherwood was a brillient jockey because he rode Dessert Orchid to six wins in a row, or whether the horse would have won had he had any reasonably capable NH jockey riding him.

I would say that Jenson Button has done a fine job, and is a worthy champion BUT his championship was due to his car equally, if not more than, his driving skills.

If I wanted a driver to drive a race for my life, JB wouldn't be that high on my list despite him being this years champ.

Not to say that it's ALL about the driver, and that only - any good workman will struggle without at least *reasonable* tools, so having the best will certainly help the craftsman achieve the best results.
But let's not think that the car is the main factor - it still has to be driven extremely well, and Button did that. His team-mate is no fool, why didn't he win it, in a Brawn?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not to say that it's ALL about the driver, and that only - any good workman will struggle without at least *reasonable* tools, so having the best will certainly help the craftsman achieve the best results.
But let's not think that the car is the main factor - it still has to be driven extremely well, and Button did that. His team-mate is no fool, why didn't he win it, in a Braun?
His team mate wasn't as talented at a guess:shrug:

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Good luck to the fella, nice quiet lad. Sky News has a nice piece on his old kart from when he was 8, he used to win £100 a race in those days and went to meets in an old van with his dedicated Dad. Lovely scenes of his old man crying and hugging him at the end of the race.

Good effort fella!

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
I'd find it much easier to congratulate any British driver winning the F1 title if they were to, perhaps, show some sort commitment to Britain by not fleeing the country to avoid paying tax.

(that goes for Hamilton too)

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I'd find it much easier to congratulate any British driver winning the F1 title if they were to, perhaps, show some sort commitment to Britain by not fleeing the country to avoid paying tax.

(that goes for Hamilton too)

I would agree with you but feel that the level of total insanity required to not flee the country and avoid the tax would probably mean that you could not reach the heights anyhow.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If all the drivers were driving the same car do you think Button would be the world champion?

Who's to say he wouldn't be and you could raise the same question to every title winner over the past 20 years, there never has and never will a way to compare one F1 driver to the next.

That was the best GP for a very very long time, crashes, drivers almost fighting, flames in the pit lane, numerous overtaking and our two Brits going 15th to 5th and 17th to 3rd.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
They should race in these on top a big hill, even it up a bit

41K0cOg-8hL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The only thing that puts me off F1 is Bernie Ecclestone, the creepy little shitcnut

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
when i woke up this morning i had to log straight onto the bbc website to make sure yesterday was not just a really really good dream

jenson button - world champion. never have four words when put together sounded so good

How about 'Capello's England - World Champions'

That pisses all over Button winning this years Scalextric, surely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here