Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jealous

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I just hope that whatever happens in summer, war chest or no war chest, we bear in mind what's gone on along the coast: two clubs that tried to live beyond their means and became feeding grounds for rip off agents and massively overpaid players. I'm not trying to put a dampener on things, and I know the situation is very different: but I hope caution will be heeded and we do not start to waste millions on players/staff just to prove we're a `big club`.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
The training ground issue is important. Not just so that the current players have somewhere to train (although that is important), but proper training ground and acadamy will help us to find young talent all across the South and for us to nuture that talent hopefully into first team players of the future.

So in a sense its quite a good business decision.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I just hope that whatever happens in summer, war chest or no war chest, we bear in mind what's gone on along the coast: two clubs that tried to live beyond their means and became feeding grounds for rip off agents and massively overpaid players. I'm not trying to put a dampener on things, and I know the situation is very different: but I hope caution will be heeded and we do not start to waste millions on players/staff just to prove we're a `big club`.

i think what is happening at the moment would be an excellent education, even if Bloom were NOT the astute businessman we all suspect he is.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Judging by that picture of Carrington, then Waterhall probably isn't out of the question.

Can't see that happening. Waterhall is currently used by the public (and that is an important consideration) - notwithstanding the 'no new builds north of the bypass' rule.

I'd imagine that IF new training facilities were built, they'd be on new, unused ground, and possibly outside of Brighton & Hove.

Struggling to think of where, though.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can't see that happening. Waterhall is currently used by the public (and that is an important consideration) - notwithstanding the 'no new builds north of the bypass' rule.

I'd imagine that IF new training facilities were built, they'd be on new, unused ground, and possibly outside of Brighton & Hove.

Struggling to think of where, though.

Back to the Shoreham Harbour idea perhaps... or next to the Adur Outdoor Activity Centre, that would be mint. They could extend the climbing wall while they're at it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Training Facilities

Back to the Shoreham Harbour idea perhaps... or next to the Adur Outdoor Activity Centre, that would be mint. They could extend the climbing wall while they're at it.

As Burgess Hill seems to be out as the town club can't find a ground, Pende (east of the Mash Barn Estate, Lancing ) is an option as the land is zoned for sports and recreation and there is space for lots of football pitches. In private ownership. Farming land unused. Soil quality (alluvium) is excellent.

I would resite the derelict Lancing FC ground, scoop the land price for housing (Lancing FC own their own ground) and get a new ground/athletic stadium built for nought.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
What about somewhere in the Hickstead area? Already sports and some commercial facilities in the area??

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
As Burgess Hill seems to be out as the town club can't find a ground, Pende (east of the Mash Barn Estate, Lancing ) is an option as the land is zoned for sports and recreation and there is space for lots of football pitches. In private ownership. Farming land unused. Soil quality (alluvium) is excellent.

I would resite the derelict Lancing FC ground, scoop the land price for housing (Lancing FC own their own ground) and get a new ground/athletic stadium built for nought.

Here we go...

Public Pervert

Rakehell
Feb 19, 2010
Er, am I the only one thinking people are getting just a little bit carried away here?

Let's not run before we can walk, it took us long enough to get this lovely new stadium under construction and I for one won't be moaning once we're in it that the training facilities need working on.

I agree we seem to have had a bit of luck with Bloom's investment and signs point to him being a far more sensible and astute businessman than the likes of Mark Goldberg or Mike Ashley BUT everyone banging on about just how wealthy he is, waving blank cheques all over the place and making wild demands to have bigger and better facilities than Europe's biggest clubs seems a little over the top to me and we should just be grateful for what we've got now and wait and see what happens next.

If Gus gets a healthy war chest for spending in the Summer in readiness for next season that would be great and if new training facilities are on the way I shall be delighted but rather than speculate on just how much better we're going to have things in the future wouldn't it be more fun to wait and see what happens so we might be pleasantly surprised if a little cash is splashed around rather than readily expecting the money to keep flowing endlessly, always looking to the next investment before even finishing paying for the last?

And to say Bloom is more deserving of a statue than Dick Knight is really disrespectful if you ask me. I am certainly grateful for Bloom's investment and look forward to years of success with him as chairman but you CANNOT overlook all the work Knight did for us simply because he wasn't as wealthy as our current chairman.

A lot of people seem to think the job of chairman is simply to plough their personal fortunes into the club but that's not exactly how big business works. The chairman should be looking after the club's interests, tightening the strings and steering the club towards running as efficiently and as profitable as possible. Personally I believe this is Big Tone's plan, which is great but the more time we spend speculating about how readily he's going to spunk his hard earned cash will surely only cause expectation to rise too quickly.

What if in two years from now we HAVEN'T been promoted? Are people going to start moaning that Bloom should have invested MORE, sacked the boss and bribed the Brazilian FA to give us first dibs on all their most exciting young talent?

Seriously, can we all just calm down a little?

Well said Squidders.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Could they not build it right where they train now, or is this in the National Park?

Part of it is.

Actually the whole of it I think and they'd have to demonstrate a national need for development there- but then it is for recreation, and thats whan National Parks are designated to promote (albeit recreation with a 'natural' element) but you never know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here