Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jealous

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Had a text yesterday from a mate who has a small business (also a friend of the Albion). He'd just been given a tour of Falmer and bought his seat for life. Paid £1000 for it. You have to pay for the cost of the matches on top but includes access to one of the new corporate suites. Scheme has some sort of name but can't remember it. Another lad with his own business I know has done the same but taken the alternative option of paying £500 for 5 years. All sounds good and nice to hear the club are not waiting around but being pro active in tying up the corporate side in advance of the first game!

On another matter, he was telling me that the reason we don't hear any more about grants for the stadium is that Bloom has turned them down as they come with too many conditions. Could be bollocks I know but he reckons our chairman is actually worth a few bob more than most people realise and going out of his way to spend the wonga to ensure the stadium really is top notch. He is also on the case of looking at new training facilities for the club and is willing to spend what it takes to acquire these. All in all, just feel we have really struck gold with Tony!! :falmer:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Had a text yesterday from a mate who has a small business (also a friend of the Albion). He'd just been given a tour of Falmer and bought his seat for life. Paid £1000 for it. You have to pay for the cost of the matches on top but includes access to one of the new corporate suites. Scheme has some sort of name but can't remember it. Another lad with his own business I know has done the same but taken the alternative option of paying £500 for 5 years. All sounds good and nice to hear the club are not waiting around but being pro active in tying up the corporate side in advance of the first game!

On another matter, he was telling me that the reason we don't hear any more about grants for the stadium is that Bloom has turned them down as they come with too many conditions. Could be bollocks I know but he reckons our chairman is actually worth a few bob more than most people realise and going out of his way to spend the wonga to ensure the stadium really is top notch. He is also on the case of looking at new training facilities for the club and is willing to spend what it takes to acquire these. All in all, just feel we have really struck gold with Tony!! :falmer:

Very interesting if true.

The training ground issue I feel is extremely important , we desperately need an indoor facility which will cost a couple of million at least but will enable the club to start an academy. In a one club county, it’s imperative youngsters don’t get poached by other clubs with better facilities.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Are you sure that isn't just a big greenhouse?:lolol:

Yeah, I take your point it does look a bit shit but something similar is definitely needed if we are to compete with other clubs in the wider region.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On another matter, he was telling me that the reason we don't hear any more about grants for the stadium is that Bloom has turned them down as they come with too many conditions.

sounds perfectly reasonable to me. grants usually do come with many strings attached, if you dont need them dont burden yourself and leave them for someone else.

:falmer: <<< when will we have a similar saying "Bloom" :p

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This could be complete bollox as well as it's come from a mate of a mate but i was 'told' Bloom went to a meeting re the funding with the local council or someone and just wrote a cheque out for X million there and then and just went on his own...

Also apparently he said 'i want the corporate better than the Emirattes' and gave an extra 20 million or something to ensure this. Personally I didn't believe the bloke that told me but ya never know!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I agree... this is exactly what we need, both for the development of future talent and to ensure that the first team don't have to train on artificial pitches during bad weather.

I’ve got faith that the club are looking into options, you wouldn’t invest 10’s of millions of pounds into a new stadium without considering upgrading the training facilities surely?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
This could be complete bollox as well as it's come from a mate of a mate but i was 'told' Bloom went to a meeting re the funding with the local council or someone and just wrote a cheque out for X million there and then and just went on his own...

Also apparently he said 'i want the corporate better than the Emirattes' and gave an extra 20 million or something to ensure this. Personally I didn't believe the bloke that told me but ya never know!

Could be true but a lot of people like to give the impression they have inside knowledge of the club. I got chatting to some bloke in the sportsman at the beginning of the season who was adamant Bloom’s fortune amounted to several Billion, I politely responded with a ‘oh that’s interesting’ but I doubt he is one of the wealthiest men in Britain just possibly one of the most generous!

Unless you hear it directly from someone at the club I’d take everything with a pinch of salt.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
All fanatastic stuff about Bloom!

Regarding the original post, though I understand the corporate side is important (I'm sure it generates something like 35% of match day revenue from 10% of the capacity) and these all seem like really clever initiatives, I fear that the clubs meagre marketing resources are not doing enough work to ensure that we get the normal football fans into Falmer, this will be the biggest challenge.

I look forward to seeing their plans!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Poker Hand (what are the hidden cards?)

Its too fantastic! which means ???

Lizard Lore

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
All fanatastic stuff about Bloom!

Regarding the original post, though I understand the corporate side is important (I'm sure it generates something like 35% of match day revenue from 10% of the capacity) and these all seem like really clever initiatives, I fear that the clubs meagre marketing resources are not doing enough work to ensure that we get the normal football fans into Falmer, this will be the biggest challenge.

I look forward to seeing their plans!

I rekon that once we're in Falmer and have all the office facilities available Bloom will concentrate on making the behind the scenes stuff afar more professional operation. He hinted as much when he took over and has probably started already but I'd guess that there is a plan in place to grow the staff levels gradually next year when we're close to a completion date. I'd also love to see Martin Perry go back to being chief exec.

The training facilities are the next big frontier for the club. I've heard a few comments from Poyet abour our facilities and it must make a difference when trying to sign players at any level.

Does anyone remember a few years back Mickey Adams went mental because they had to train in Preston Park? As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong) we've never really had a proper training ground, if we want to be considered as a proper second tier club that has to change.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
when I was a kid we used to run round Hove Park trying to keep up with the players who were training - pretty desperate then and never got any better.Trying to think of where we might be allowed to build a training complex without the usual NIMBY's getting their knickers in a twist. Anyone know any closed down factory sites..............?

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Any statue at the new stadium should be of Bloom not Knight, Bloom has already invested 20 times more in the club than Knight ever did in his entire history with the Albion. He employed Poyet largely on his coaching skills as our then setup was as we all know stagnant and decidedly dated.

Bloom has no intention of letting the Albion run out to their first game at the new stadium in League 1. This season is all about survival, next season Bloom will provide Poyet a huge warchest transfer budget that will dwarf every other team in the division bar none. He is absolutely focused on getting Albion into the Championship for the new stadium.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
bit risky imo, what if his seat is right next to somebody like withdean wanderer and he will be stuck there for the rest of his life.

Fortunately, I do have a certain amount of social skills, and would like to think I won't have to go alone to games at Falmer. :thumbsup:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Bloom has no intention of letting the Albion run out to their first game at the new stadium in League 1. This season is all about survival, next season Bloom will provide Poyet a huge warchest transfer budget that will dwarf every other team in the division bar none. He is absolutely focused on getting Albion into the Championship for the new stadium.

Hopefully we'll see serious investment in the summer. Would it be asking too much to get Lua Lua or someone of similar quality? It would probably mean breaking our records transfer but if we are serious about promotion we need to mirror the transfer activities of Saints and Huddersfield imo.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Your mate shouldn't be telling you whatever he has been telling as it probably breaks client confidentiality but oh well, as long as the rumours are 'alleged' etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here