Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jealous Pompey Fans

snowman1954

Mar 22, 2011
I don't think its fair to criticise us fans ,,what could we do ? Tell 'arry not to buy all those England players ..Any way I'm not on here to slag off just to say what a nice stadium you'll soon have.. Old Fratton can still create a good atmosphere tho !!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's because you spunked all your money on players earning £100k a week, while your fans turned a blind eye to the accounts all the while your owners were publishing ridiculous plans for an oversized stadium in the sea and you were buying cup finals and a Premiership place.

No sympathy from me. Jog on.

That.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
It's because we are in the South of England, where you have to jump through a million hoops to build so much as a wendy house. In the Midlands and the North, there are acres upon acres of desolate former industrial wastelands crying out to be built on.

That said, last time I was in Pompey, there looked to be plenty of decrepit old sites in dire need of redevelopment, so I'm not sure what you've done wrong there. Oh wait, it's the geese, isn't it? :wink:

for the first season? 100%

we will pretty much sell 16k season tickets

+2.5k 1901

leaving only a few for general sale

after the first season?

who knows, that will be when the fairy fans get bored and leave and only the true fans stay

we will see :)

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
When I went to a Portsmouth University open day years ago the tour guide told us there were plans to rotate the ground 90 degrees vertically (sic). It sounds like a logistical nightmare to me.

:jester:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think its fair to criticise us fans ,,what could we do ? Tell 'arry not to buy all those England players ..Any way I'm not on here to slag off just to say what a nice stadium you'll soon have.. Old Fratton can still create a good atmosphere tho !!

I doubt many of us would have asked our club not to buy the players they did, although I certainly hope questions would have been asked how a club with 19,000 crowds could pay players £90,000 per week.

I think our lack of sympathy stems from the fact that, by virtue of what was in essence cheating, Pompey lived it up in the Premier League for several years, and reached two cup finals. Fine, as supporters, enjoy it while it lasts, but don't then expect people to feel sorry for you when it goes tits up. Dozens of other clubs didn't reach the Premier League, and didn't get to cup finals, so my sympathies are with them. Plus you've basically laughed your backsides off as over £100 million worth of debt (much of which is owed to the taxpayer too) has essentially been written off, you STILL haven't paid the vast majority of creditors a penny, and, rather than selling top players off, you've kept most of them, while continuing to sign new players on £20k per week.

That is what chafes the HOOP of many non-Pompey fans.

Anyway, back on track: yes Fratton is one of the more atmospheric locations, not so much this season perhaps, but it is still a complete hovel.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
When I went to a Portsmouth University open day years ago the tour guide told us there were plans to rotate the ground 90 degrees vertically (sic). It sounds like a logistical nightmare to me.

:jester:

That twunt might finally drop his bell :clap2:

snowman1954

Mar 22, 2011
Yes thats been suggested several times and some of the plans looked Ok but it never happened. We even had Milan Mandaric ( our old chairman)on the digger allegedly starting the development !!...I suppose we are lucky we still have a club and some say we aren't completely out of the brown stuff yet , so we'll see..

Manuel

Feb 4, 2011
In the lounge

Any small oldfashioned stadium can have a good atmosphere - all you need is a twat with a bell and a few goons.:lolol:

snowman1954

Mar 22, 2011
Dear Edna ,

The first few years in the Prem we didn't spend excessively , it was only when Milan sold up and the new guy started splashing out . I would imagine if the owners of lots of clubs in the Prem pulled the plug then others would follow Pompeys route. I also believe they paid out 20p in pound which is more than a lot of other clubs 1p . Every club seems to be in debt. I wonder how Brighton are paying for Falmer when you only get 6 or 7 thou gates ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dear Edna ,

The first few years in the Prem we didn't spend excessively , it was only when Milan sold up and the new guy started splashing out . I would imagine if the owners of lots of clubs in the Prem pulled the plug then others would follow Pompeys route. I also believe they paid out 20p in pound which is more than a lot of other clubs 1p . Every club seems to be in debt. I wonder how Brighton are paying for Falmer when you only get 6 or 7 thou gates ?

Falmer is paid for, in full, in cash by a director (now chairman) who's family have been on the board for decades. There's no mortgage therefore no debt.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Dear Edna ,

Because our chairman, a lifelong supporter whose family have been involved with the Albion for generations, has stumped up the £93 million cost out of his own pocket in the form of an interest free loan, which after 25 years will either be paid up or converted to shares in the club.

Next question?

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Dear Edna ,

Tony_Bloom.jpg

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

:bowdown:

No shady Russian/Far Eastern businessmen here, thank you very much, or dodgy, fly-by-night, likes-a-cheeky-payment-on-the-side managers either.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
aren't you lucky then....

What goes around, comes around I suppose. We've had our share of utter SHITS in charge of this club. It's been nearly fourteen years since the Goldstone was flattened, and we were not only threatened with home games at Fratton, but eventually ended up at the worst town in the entire south east of England for two years. Followed by eleven years at the worst and least atmospheric stadium in the Football League (apart from the Weston Homes Community Stadium). Even now: I swear to god if I ever see Archer or Bellotti within a mile of the Amex, I will not be responsible for my actions :jester:

So yes, we are lucky now, because of Tony Bloom, but then again it must be our turn.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
f*** sake give the guy a break. What happened at Portsmouth belongs in a completely different thread. Yes it's a bit of a piss-take but snowman cannot be blamed. Some Brighton fans really need to get off their high horse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here