Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jason Scotland - bid by Brighton

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't dislike the idea, I'm just not sure he's Poyet's type. Would happily see him here.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I don't dislike the idea, I'm just not sure he's Poyet's type. Would happily see him here.

See what you're saying, but then Chris Wood wasn't exactly what we'd call a Poyet kind of player, and he was popular with Gus. I think we need a few options up top, a few times last season plan a wasn't working, and we needed to be a bit more physical, Hoskins and Barnes aren't those sort of players IMO. Scotland is no 6ft7 target man, but he brings options up top.

As you say, i'd happily see him here.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I'd be happy enough with this one, interesting that Swansea tried to re-sign him in January. But...I would think we'd need to get another better striker in as well. Hoskins, Barnes, Scotland + AN Other quality forward would be essential in the Championship.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm sure Gus spoke about the need to get in some stronger more physical players this season although can't find the article at the moment.

Scotland would certainly fit that and provide some strength up front and he's also very good with his weaker left foot which tends to be something Poyet looks for.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wouldnt go into raptures if we sign him as I think that he is well past his best days but he may be able to provide an alternative option as a sub in games.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I wouldnt go into raptures if we sign him as I think that he is well past his best days but he may be able to provide an alternative option as a sub in games.

So how many matches have you seen him play in the last 2 years to make that judgement?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So how many matches have you seen him play in the last 2 years to make that judgement?
Like most on here hardly any and the opinion is based on statistics and newspaper reports.

Obviously Gus has seen more and if he decides to buy him then that is fine by me.

The same could be said of Robbie Keane or CMS but I would be exstatic if we signed either of those.

horam267

Feb 24, 2010
Not quite sure what he will add to the team tbh.
Sky Sports have picked up on it now, so i imagine there is more truth behind it than say the Lua Lua situ

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Sky Sports have picked up on it now, so i imagine there is more truth behind it than say the Lua Lua situ

The strength, age and experience we are seriously lacking in any attacking position.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
The strength, age and experience we are seriously lacking in any attacking position.

Agreed. Even if he scores no more than a handful of goals he'll contribute lots- Hoskins, Barnes, Buckley and (hopefully!!!) Lualua and (please!!!!!!!!!) CMS would greatly benefit from his presence in the team/squad.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
At 32 , he shouldn't cost any more than £400k as Ipswich want to get him off their wage bill. It all boils down to what he realistically expects as wages per week.

I cannot beleive the negativity being generated from the prospect of Scotland arriving. He would be a fantastic signing, better certainly than what we have upfront and better than Glenn Murray. A man with Premier League games behind him is a seriously good player, plus his goals for Swansea and the fact he still bagged 10 at Championship level in what was a very poor season in an unconfident, very regimental Ipswich team. They had literaly no creative spark and still bagged 10 goals.

Jason Scotland is a top player and I can imagine he is NOT the "special player" or top striker we will also look to buy, yet what a signing he would be as part of the new striking duo.

terry1

Banned
Jun 19, 2011
Patcham
He's well past it, over the hill. I know we need experienced players but just think this would be a bad move. Dont know why we dont go after the fella who played for Dagenham. John Akinde, he looked a player and a half and i would imagine would be a lot lot cheaper. I know its a bit of a punt but i would rather gamble on him rather than the 15k a week scotland would want

horam267

Feb 24, 2010
He's well past it, over the hill. I know we need experienced players but just think this would be a bad move. Dont know why we dont go after the fella who played for Dagenham. John Akinde, he looked a player and a half and i would imagine would be a lot lot cheaper. I know its a bit of a punt but i would rather gamble on him rather than the 15k a week scotland would want

Agreed, would rather see Robbie Keane in terms of experience!

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton

Maybe because Crawley have signed him because he is a league 2 standard player.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Well Akinde signed for Crawley for starters. Second, he is not in the same stratosphere classwise as Scotland.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus

The John Akinde recently signed by CRAWLEY TOWN?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
It worries me that Scotland is not as good as Murray - so hardly an improvment to the team.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Sky Sports recycle stories all the time, as far as I can tell this has come from one newspaper report. Doesn't mean it's not true. But the LuaLua situation, with quotes from LuaLua and Poyet? Can't get more truth than that.

As for what he brings to the team I think he'd be pretty close to a Glenn Murray replacement. Good at winning the ball against defenders and keeping it, bringing others into play - but also able to score goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here