Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Japan pre season

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I feel I should post about Ramen bar etiquette. You enter and you will usually find a vending machine with pictures of today's offerings. Pay and collect ticket, and then take your seat. Eat, enjoy and depart promptly. They don't do lounging around, particularly if there is a queue outside. Around £10 a portion in local place, want more meat or noodles? you will have that option.

Translation apps work very well in Japan, though English is widely spoken in the big cities. (Not once you get outside.)

Western-style restaurants charge the earth. One City I visited had a big notice in English 'Don't like my price don't come in' (£60 for a steak dinner) Over the road the student diner made us welcome with Beef Noodles at £6 a bowl made from the same stuff.

If travelling on a train Bento boxes can be ordered for the journey (£10) with a little bit of everything, don't do what Junior did his chicken was snail. (Double bubble for me). If you are struggling money wise 7/11's have no end of goodies you can take back to your room. Some even have microwaves and kettles, so you can prepare your food for a street eat.

Some local restaurants, behind the curtains style, simply don't do foreigners and will tell you curtly to leave. Don't get upset it's their way.

Don't set foot in a Pachinko parlour, you can lose a lot of money.

Two of my friends who worked there in the 80's ended up with Japanese brides.
My advice would be to not bother with the combini food for anything other than the novelty. You can get good quality meals for lunch and dinner for 5-7 quid.

Food in Tokyo/Japan is generally really good. Don't waste your time on vastly inferior combini food just because it's a couple of quid cheaper. If you've flown all the way to Japan you should probably try and get the most out of it!

And please don't eat on the street.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
For those of you coming over the best advice I can give is to stay hydrated. The temperature is forecast to break 35 degrees every day from now until next thursday. We're entering the start of summer proper, where even at night the temperature will not drop below 27 or 28. The kicker being that the humidity doesn't drop either.

What I recommend is if you have one of those insulating flasks/waterbottles, bring it with you. Put some ice in it, go to your local convenience store buy a 2l bottle of water for 100yen and poor as much of it in to the icy water bottle as you can. Then drink the rest of the water from the 2l bottle first, while it is still relatively cool, leaving you with still ice cold water for the afternoon.

Also, slap on the factor 50, wear a hat and stay in the shade whenever you can.

Do all that and we'll be able to run their top boys all over town.

BattFink

Jan 31, 2012
Buggers Hole
Seems to be a couple of things lined up for the weekend (site translates into English when you open it)

Thanks for that... seems as though the training session has "sold out" already

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Players on the plane...

Any of our Tokyo Seagulls know if prominent tattoos are likely to cause any problems on the tour? Will Fab have to wear a long sleeve shirt at matches for example?

b1f70cfab9ee5596d8b819fb2f54fdd9,bc72f3ad.jpeg

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It can also be argued that the fees paid TO US for playing in the States, the greater exposure, the new fans, our relationship with Amex and Nike has increased our profile enormously.

and profile, exposure, new fans, commercial opportunities

Not really. I've yet to run into another Brighton fan in the States. Most Brighton fans are happy about that. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here