Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Japan pre season

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Loving Minteh so far. Primarily because I've got a couple of Newcastle supporting mates who are already GUTTED. They think it's really unfair that they had to sell - which makes it even funnier!

Not sure about the defence but I'm easily pleased. If we go for it all season, claim a few scalps and finish somewhere between 13th and 8th I'd be happy enough.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Loving Minteh so far. Primarily because I've got a couple of Newcastle supporting mates who are already GUTTED. They think it's really unfair that they had to sell - which makes it even funnier!

Not sure about the defence but I'm easily pleased. If we go for it all season, claim a few scalps and finish somewhere between 13th and 8th I'd be happy enough.
Even at this early stage i think Minteh and Mitoma will be our starting wingers this season.
I have seen quite a few comments about the defence but it seems to me to be a direct consequence of the tactic of pushing the wing backs high on both sides of the pitch at the SAME TIME. This leaves us with just the two central defenders and very vulnerable to long balls over the top into the channels.
A perfect example was the first opposition goal today where JPVH did not know whether to go out to the player who had been fed the ball in the channel or to maintain his defensive role in the center. I would imagine he was hoping for some help from a returning wingback but Moran was nowhere to be seen. This gave the player time to pick a crossfield pass (admittedly a brilliantly executed one) for the scorer.
Also i was fascinated to see on the replay James Milner running right past a somewhat slowly returning Barco in a valiant effort to get to the player who scored, he bloody near did it too!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
The daily highlights video from yesterday is nuts. 10 mins of Webster having gone down the shop and got in a load of sweets for the boys....(and Barber) genius. The England youtube stuff is the benchmark but this is good stuff.

Charlie Oatway looks like a visionary with his 2004 diary

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The daily highlights video from yesterday is nuts. 10 mins of Webster having gone down the shop and got in a load of sweets for the boys....(and Barber) genius. The England youtube stuff is the benchmark but this is good stuff.

Charlie Oatway looks like a visionary with his 2004 diary
Worth it just for Welbeck having the squid flavoured one

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Even at this early stage i think Minteh and Mitoma will be our starting wingers this season.
I have seen quite a few comments about the defence but it seems to me to be a direct consequence of the tactic of pushing the wing backs high on both sides of the pitch at the SAME TIME. This leaves us with just the two central defenders and very vulnerable to long balls over the top into the channels.
A perfect example was the first opposition goal today where JPVH did not know whether to go out to the player who had been fed the ball in the channel or to maintain his defensive role in the center. I would imagine he was hoping for some help from a returning wingback but Moran was nowhere to be seen. This gave the player time to pick a crossfield pass (admittedly a brilliantly executed one) for the scorer.
Also i was fascinated to see on the replay James Milner running right past a somewhat slowly returning Barco in a valiant effort to get to the player who scored, he bloody near did it too!
I think you're right about both WBs pushing high at the same time. I'd have to watch the highlights again to be sure. They need to pivot ideally, with one going up and the other not. Or wait for Wieffer to join the team and stay deep to cover.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just tried finding the highlights on the official Albion website. Not there yet - not even the result. Mind you, the speed it loaded, it may still be yesterday.....

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Simultaneous high fullbacks was a bit of a Hyypia trait, as I remember it. That didn’t work out too well. Did occur to me today that the way the centre-backs were playing saw them isolated on the wings at time, which we’d probably all agree is a rare weakness in Dunk’s armoury.

Just a friendly though so who knows what the season will bring. I’m optimistic Hurzeler will find solutions and there’s a wealth of talent to choose from going forwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here