Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Japan pre season

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Really pleased with the performance and result.

I'd have to see the goals again, but I had the feeling that the calibre of defending by the opposition helped in all 5 cases.

Would that defending have happened in the PL?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
A decent run out, albeit against limited opposition. Their defense parted more regularly than Katie Price's legs.

Sarmiento did well as did nearly all the new lads. Sima didn't look much (I'm sure he'll be on his way) and Barco looks a real terrier.

The one area that clearly still needs addressing is the full back positions IMO, but there is still time.

Good all round 1st work out.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Well that was jolly good, very enjoyable. Early days and somewhat meaningless but blimey, we appear to have some seriously good, young players. Great to see quick forward passes and breaks, lots of movement. Good stuff.
Yes it was noticeable that we played the ball quicker from the back though the midfield and into the strikers. I liked what I saw today. Not quite sure if we were really good for a preseason game or the opposition were not quite good enough, maybe a bit of both.

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
I'm not sure about the standard of Japanese football, but we didn't look like a team that were playing their first friendly after the season's break, against a team that are in the middle of their league season.

The 343 formation worked in getting the ball forward and creating (and taking) chances.

Given the amount of quality wide players we now have, we shouldn't we looking for plan B, if injuries strike.

Not wanting to get too ahead of ourselves, but the 2026 Europa League final is in Istanbul.
Don't worry about Istanbul, we'll all be in Budapest.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Really pleased with the performance and result.

I'd have to see the goals again, but I had the feeling that the calibre of defending by the opposition helped in all 5 cases.

Would that defending have happened in the PL?
Indeed, I can't see a Sean Dyche defence allowing us to do anything like that at Everton. But as an opening statement by Hurzeler it couldn't have been much better.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Impressive. Kashima Antlers aren't actually that bad, though they didn't have their best game today.
Not a lot of answers today but plenty of players asking new questions. Plenty of players who might deserve to stay will need to go out on loan somewhere.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I’m quite looking forward to QPR now.

sir_gullahad

Dec 20, 2013
Cheltenhamshire
Not really a home game for Kashima. They're from Ibaraki which admittedly is much closer to Tokyo than Brighton is but it's a bit like Brighton playing a home game in Gillingham....

Oh.

The J league never fails to disappoint. I was expecting much more from Kashima.
They played like a team who resented the time taken out of their mid-season break.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I've seen a few comments criticising the standard of Japanese football, but in today's other friendly Dortmund only just beat Osaka 3-2.

Kashima are 3 places above Osaka in the league.

We made them look bad today.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
We have so much young talent, difficult decisions to be made on who stays, goes out on loan or let go.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Strong showing from all involved considering the climate and the oppositions fitness levels. Barco and Minteh both really impressed and you can instantly see that Yalcouye is a natural talent. Tactically, a little concerned that we will require more pace in central defense and can see our willingness to play offsides taking a while to fine tune.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
We've been quietly gathering some elite level global young talent, and nobody has taken notice of it because of our poor end to last season.

Verbruggen, Barco, Enciso, Ferguson, João Pedro, Buonanotte, Yalcouye, Cozier Duberry, Minteh, Baleba, Hinshelwood, Sarmiento, Rushworth, Beadle, Moran...

Some of these lads simply won't make it with us because we have SO MUCH talent. There will be more than a few sales and loans in the coming weeks, maybe small fees but big sell ons.

What a time to be a Brighton fan. Roll on the new season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here