Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

January Transfer Window **Official Thread**

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Anyone else hacked off with all these 'undisclosed' fees - isn't it about time it became compulsory for them to be made public?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Rotherham striker Adam Le Fondre was today highlighted as a potential target for Brighton boss Gus Poyet, after netting 14 times in 20 appearances since his £100,000 move from Rochdale in the summer. Adam, or "Alfie" as he is known, has attracted interest from Peterborough who had a £400,000 bid turned down, with speculation that Derby and Leeds Utd are also interested. Poyet is believed to have a £4m warchest and is expected to enter the bidding soon.

Haven't we already got a couple of 500K strikers that aren't exactly banging them in!?

Goals = points, so let's push the boat out and get a Paynter/Sharp type dude pronto :wink:

rauper

Jan 9, 2007
Hove
The deal for Russell Martin was done when he signed on loan apparently and it was the same fee Peterborough paid for him (£250k I think). Before that though he was interested in Brighton and there may have been talks, but Norwich have bumped his salary up massively, probably far beyond what we'd pay. Shame as he'd be good here.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Werent we supposedly after O'toole earlier in the season? Good signing for Colchester as im sure he was a championship regular, Odejayi isnt a bad signing either as a big target man.

Colchester seem to mean business. I wonder where they are getting the funding from. Got a bit of of a walloping on the weekend though, didn't they?

Spun Cuppa

We have strikers who are good or better than those what we need are men to provide them with the chance to score.

Didn't we play 4-3-3 against Torquay, with Forster/Murray/Dickinson up front and won it with a midfielder's header from a corner, against a team from the division below?

A Championship quality striker would of had more of a say for me :thumbsup:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Why are people branding Billy Sharps name about. Why the hell would he come here:lolol: Scored 7 in 15 or something at Doncaster, who want to sign him permanently, and many other Championship clubs after him. If he did drop a division, why would he go to the bottom of league 1, when he could walk into the leeds, Charlton or Norwich squad.

Spun Cuppa

Why are people branding Billy Sharps name about. Why the hell would he come here:lolol: Scored 7 in 15 or something at Doncaster, who want to sign him permanently, and many other Championship clubs after him. If he did drop a division, why would he go to the bottom of league 1, when he could walk into the leeds, Charlton or Norwich squad.

Money

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I am sure I remember reading (whether true or not) that he left as we would not let him sit/study for his A-Levels and Wycombe would. Seems a bit of an odd one considering our community scheme champions learning..!

One of my Friends sons made the reserves a few years ago - as far as I am aware the youth squad have to study at least part time but are unable to study full time (i.e. take 3/4 A'levels). In the above case he was let go - shame so many kids lose out educationally for a chance in the 'big time'. In my time I have known probably a hundred or so kids on the books of clubs (including Chelsea e.t.c) so far none has made it to pro level.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Im pretty sure Leeds, Norwich or Charlton would match anything we offered, saying that, with his current form he is and will attract Championship interest. Im sure they have more money than us to splash on him, and think he would rather play his football in that league for obvious reasons.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
One of my Friends sons made the reserves a few years ago - as far as I am aware the youth squad have to study at least part time but are unable to study full time (i.e. take 3/4 A'levels). In the above case he was let go - shame so many kids lose out educationally for a chance in the 'big time'. In my time I have known probably a hundred or so kids on the books of clubs (including Chelsea e.t.c) so far none has made it to pro level.

I thought they could take BTEC's but not A levels, no matter how many A levels they do.

chinners

Aug 27, 2009
Brighton
when poyet said he would act early i thought he would have done some business by now i know its early still but it could be costly

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didn't we play 4-3-3 against Torquay, with Forster/Murray/Dickinson up front and won it with a midfielder's header from a corner, against a team from the division below?

A Championship quality striker would of had more of a say for me :thumbsup:

Could it be that the 3 of them were not sure pof their actual roles as it is not common to play 4 -3 -3 and as a result our midfield had to try and provide chances for 3 strikers rather than. 2

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Haven't we already got a couple of 500K strikers that aren't exactly banging them in!?

Goals = points, so let's push the boat out and get a Paynter/Sharp type dude pronto :wink:

Well - not quite true is it. We're a bottom five club with one of the Top 6 goal scorers to date. Slightly self-serving and inaccurate point you make there.

Lambert Southampton 18
Beckford Leeds United 16
Barnard Southend 15
Holt Norwich 14
Burton Charlton 12
Forster Brighton 11

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Which is an argument that could be made for every one of our targets not to come here...

So we're f***ed, aren't we?

Unless...

We spend some MONEY :wink:

Man City have tons of money to spend, but have been struggling to bring in that extra quality they need to push for a top 4 finish / title challenging team despite reportedly being the richest club in the world.

Clubs aatract players on what they can offer, at the moment its Withdean with all its drawbacks, the only way we may get a top player for this division in is by paying over the odds in wages to make them want to come here rather than another team with better resources. But, if we were able to bring players in based purely on offering good wages, wouldn't it a) make then mercenaries interested in cash not the club and b) risk the financial stability of the club and put its future in jeopardy?

Or we be patient and wait til we are at Falmer and can then also start to match other clubs with what we have to offer - We tried to spend money as you say on some good players in the past like Sidwell for one, we matched Readings offer but he went elsewhere due to better Facilities etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here