Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

January transfer window arriving just in time...

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I'd be surprised if we bought a left back. More likely to be a loan. Have to say Chicksen must wish he'd stayed at MK Dons, he probably would have been playing for them in the Championship now.

As for wingers/attacking midfielders, apart from the 3 regular first team players and RLP.... We already have Elvis, Harper, Starkey and even Monkana (although he's on loan). They can't all be that bad.... I mean are we really that shit at identifying players?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would expect the incoming left back, if there is one, will be either a free out of contract older pklayer or younger loan. rather than spend money on a player who will probably be back up.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd be surprised if we bought a left back. More likely to be a loan. Have to say Chicksen must wish he'd stayed at MK Dons, he probably would have been playing for them in the Championship now.

As for wingers/attacking midfielders, apart from the 3 regular first team players and RLP.... We already have Elvis, Harper, Starkey and even Monkana (although he's on loan). They can't all be that bad.... I mean are we really that shit at identifying players?
If Bong is back after the 13 day break in January, and is available for Brentford at home, we may not bother getting a left back at all.

A striker, and extending the RVLP loan seem higher priorities now for the budget ???

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Starkey & Monkana long way off first team for a team serious about promotion. We would struggle to off load Monkana to a league 1 club. Elvis is pretty poor defensively I believe and can't be trusted over long periods to put in a shift going back and forward.

Harper you would hope would be pushing to get in the squad later this season but injuries preventing him progressing

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If Bong is back after the 13 day break in January, and is available for Brentford at home, we may not bother getting a left back at all.

A striker, and extending the RVLP loan seem higher priorities now for the budget ???

I would think that we will bring 1 in as we cannot afford to be caught in th same position again in the run in.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I would think that we will bring 1 in as we cannot afford to be caught in th same position again in the run in.
You might be right, and it would be a risk to assume Bong won't breakdown or have a setback, but it all depends on the medical reports really.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Look at the ages of our players and try and work out our policy?

We are trying to future proof for a few years hence.

In the summer, we are going to need replacements for our old-timers whatever division we are in!

We are short of numbers for a promotion challenge.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You might be right, and it would be a risk to assume Bong won't breakdown or have a setback, but it all depends on the medical reports really.

I cannot see us spending big money on one unless he is another young Luke Shaw with potential for the future more likely a journey man if a permenant signing or young Prem loan.. What about the WBA one we were reputed to be interested in Sebastien Pocognoli could we go back for him.?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would expect the incoming left back, if there is one, will be either a free out of contract older pklayer or younger loan. rather than spend money on a player who will probably be back up.

Tha answer could be a left wing-back, a left back who can also play left midfield.

I think we need two ready made players (in the Brighton style) aged about 26, that do not have to be integrated into the side. Hit the ground running a challenge existing players for a place.

The positions depend on who is fit and when in the current squad.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
What about Buckley and Bridcutt returning, especially if Sunderland still owe money for them.

As said, I remain sceptical about Bridcutt's rumoured return but certainly cannot see Buckley coming back either. He did produce one of the great moments in our recent history but sadly he well and truly blotted his copybook by his behaviour after Garcia left by his lack of effort. All he had to do was to come out with that old cliché about loving the Albion but an opportunity to play at the top level was too hard to resist etc and we would have all wished him well. Instead he stopped even trying for us. I’ll forgive players many things: horrendous mistakes, red cards, acts of madness etc. But the one thing I will never forgive is a Brighton player not even trying their very best for the club.
It's a big fat no from me.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have no worries about our ageing back four....

next season it could well be

Rosenior 31 ( yesterday )
Dunk 24
Uwe 29
Bong 27

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Unlikely to be anywhere near match fit anyway. Time for Elvis to enter the building for real.

Yes, maybe it's time for Elvis Manu to stand up and be counted.

Towell hasn't played competeitive football for some time now, and even then, never in the Championship. It will take him some time to adjust, so much so I feel, that we may not see the best of him until next season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As said, I remain sceptical about Bridcutt's rumoured return but certainly cannot see Buckley coming back either. He did produce one of the great moments in our recent history but sadly he well and truly blotted his copybook by his behaviour after Garcia left by his lack of effort. All he had to do was to come out with that old cliché about loving the Albion but an opportunity to play at the top level was too hard to resist etc and we would have all wished him well. Instead he stopped even trying for us. I’ll forgive players many things: horrendous mistakes, red cards, acts of madness etc. But the one thing I will never forgive is a Brighton player not even trying their very best for the club.
It's a big fat no from me.

And an even FATTER one from me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here