Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie's Italian

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Whatever. His tongue is still far too large for his mouth.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Kinda looking forward to trying it. Obviously instinct says Barleytown doesn't need any more chain Italians, but you have to judge 'em individually as the standard does vary a lot.

Although it would probably take a complementary diamond-encrusted shard of crack shat by a golden goose on an accompanying plate to entice me away from Pompoko at the moment.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Pretty much all the stuff that can be pre-prepared is apparently, in Northampton. A guy I know said his mate (I know) went along for a chef job there and seemingly there was very little actual cooking to be done. He didn't take the job because he didn't become a chef to reheat stuff.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Pretty much all the stuff that can be pre-prepared is apparently, in Northampton. A guy I know said his mate (I know) went along for a chef job there and seemingly there was very little actual cooking to be done. He didn't take the job because he didn't become a chef to reheat stuff.

Not saying you're wrong as I have abdsolutely no idea, but given the boys reputation I would very much doubt if he would put his name to anything that wasn't "pukka" (in the cheffy sense of the word). He'd get slaughtered in the press.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Housemate went last week and said it was ace, its just pasta though, how hard can it be?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll probably give it a try. I have a strange relationship with pasta (although I appreciate Italian goes beyond this). It is a food type I love but one I can actually cook bloody well and quickly and to a very high standard....so I'm a little reluctant to pay someone else to do it for me.

If anyone is interested I can post up a few great simple recipes.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not saying you're wrong as I have abdsolutely no idea, but given the boys reputation I would very much doubt if he would put his name to anything that wasn't "pukka" (in the cheffy sense of the word). He'd get slaughtered in the press.

I know, I took the story with a pinch of salt. I can believe that the pasta isn't fresh though.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I know, I took the story with a pinch of salt. I can believe that the pasta isn't fresh though.

Pasta is one of the easiest things to make. I make my own every week. Restaurants tend to make a batch early in the week and freeze it. If that's going to be done in a central location, then so be it. Personally I'd like to go to a restaurant and see pasta being made in front of me as part of the "experience", but hey, maybe that's just me.

I have no idea what "authentic" Italian food is supposed to be.

When I lived in Italy, I didn't come across a single eating place that described itself as "Italian".

I get the impression that most "authentic Italian restaurants" in England serve a lot of stuff in some sort of creamy sauce. Which is another thing I never came across when I lived in Italy.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

When I lived in Italy, I didn't come across a single eating place that described itself as "Italian".

I get the impression that most "authentic Italian restaurants" in England serve a lot of stuff in some sort of creamy sauce. Which is another thing I never came across when I lived in Italy.

Interestingly that is exactly what I didn't mean by 'authentic' - as I said I haven't been yet, but the person who went along feels the same as you about pasta (and has also lived in Italy) and it was her choice of words.

I agree with what you're saying (and Christ knows there are some terrible Italians about), but by my reckoning there are also at least 3 superb Italian restaurants in Brighton alone.

Yoda

English & European
Jamie Oliver, authentic Italian food? Pah!

Needed some red pesto the other day and the only thing left in my local Co-op was Jamie Oliver's Tomato & chilli pesto. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought two of the main ingredients in pesto were pine nuts and either parmesan or pecorino cheese (or both). Both these main ingredients were missing from his "pesto".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

About as "authentic" as any Chinese or Indian food we get in this country. Of course it's going to be anglicised towards our expectations.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I know someone who went yesterday. Apparently very good quality pasta and very authentic menu - But at £25 each for a 2 course lunch with wine it had better be.

Not sure I would call that credit crunch busting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here