Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie's Italian

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
cant say i even thought about it until this thread came up. another average italian, just what brighton needs. as some one said, donttellos is utter shit. my mum went to zillis the other day, shit.

carluccios is lovely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you want an economy meal ... there's not a lot wrong with a bowl of plain pasta, served with a knob of butter, plenty of black pepper and a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese.

Total preparation time - something like four minutes.

I've always been puzzled by so called convenience foods. As you point out pasta takes little time to prepare. Stir-fry is the same. Both can involve one pot to cook and one to eat. Both dirt cheap. Both are pretty convenient to me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the pont is that Donatello is possibly the worst Italian restaurant ever.

It's more of a hen/stag/group meal thing isnt it? I went once but was so bladdered I cannot remember much other than Richie Barker was in the house. I could have eaten carboard and it tasted good I was so drunk...come to thing of it....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you want an economy meal ... there's not a lot wrong with a bowl of plain pasta, served with a knob of butter, plenty of black pepper and a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese.

Total preparation time - something like four minutes.

If you're talking economy you're likely to be using dried pasta, not 'fresh'. You'd do well to get a pan of water boiling inside 4 minutes, let alone the extra 10 mins or so to get the pasta cooked nicely al dente.

But your point is still valid - very quick, very cheap and very tasty.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Donatellos isn't shit, considering the price.

I beg to differ, last time I went there it took them 1 1/2 hours to bring out out strlarters and they were cold... I've had other shit experiences there too (prior tothat) would never go there again now. And they were rude when we complained (politely) ! Other Italians such as al fornos are just as cheap and have much better staff and much a food.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If you're talking economy you're likely to be using dried pasta, not 'fresh'. You'd do well to get a pan of water boiling inside 4 minutes, let alone the extra 10 mins or so to get the pasta cooked nicely al dente.

But your point is still valid - very quick, very cheap and very tasty.

Not with an induction job, they f***ing rule!

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I beg to differ, last time I went there it took them 1 1/2 hours to bring out out strlarters and they were cold... I've had other shit experiences there too (prior tothat) would never go there again now. And they were rude when we complained (politely) ! Other Italians such as al fornos are just as cheap and have much better staff and much a food.

couldnt have put it better myself, why pay cheap for poor service and quality!!:thumbsup:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Actually I have to admit I'm a bit indebted to Donatellos cos me and a couple of others had an extremely rock and roll Monday night a couple of weeks back and bowled in there proper twatted late doors. They could have taken two hours to serve us for all I know but they didn't do the decent thing and punch us all in the face when we had a pizza fight and set one of the fire alarms off, in respect of which I might go back. Wearing a mask.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Donatellos isn't shit, considering the price.

I beg to differ. Donatellos is a completely piss poor restaurant. The food is tasteless, utter gash. The insipid sauces only differ in colour - red, beige, green or cream.

Service depends on the size of your group. If you go there as a party they will ignore you all night, unless your ordering booze of course. Go as a couple and you can be out of there in 45 minutes. I went with a mate once prior to the smoking ban. I lit up a fag after I ordered, put it out when the starter arrived, re-lit it, put the same fag out when the main arrived and just manged to finish it before dessert. I've had to endure that place about five times over the years. Nothing has impressed me. If you want really cheap Italian food, try Piccolo's which is a cut above the rest of the shite in town.

On another note, I ate in Pizza Express in the Marina on Friday night. What an absolute piss take that place is! £8 for a shitty, cardboardy pizza that looks remarkably reminiscent of the frozen shit Tesco will sell you for £1.99. The useless fuckers even managed to burn it. Never again. Strada is next door and ten times better than that pile of shite. I'll happily pay for Jamie's set menu if it means I never have to go near a Pizza Express again in my lifetime.

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Actually I have to admit I'm a bit indebted to Donatellos cos me and a couple of others had an extremely rock and roll Monday night a couple of weeks back and bowled in there proper twatted late doors. They could have taken two hours to serve us for all I know but they didn't do the decent thing and punch us all in the face when we had a pizza fight and set one of the fire alarms off, in respect of which I might go back. Wearing a mask.

f*** 'em. Their pizza belongs on the walls anyway.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
...and another thing. What's with all the pictures of the happy looking celebs on the walls in Donatellos? Have you noticed that they all look hungry? That's because they are taken BEFORE their meals. The have loads of pictures of Burnside sending back his cold lasagne, Michael Ball demanding the service charge be removed and Lou Beale querying the seven bottles of wine that were on the bill which she never had. The bastards never put those ones up do they?

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I beg to differ. Donatellos is a completely piss poor restaurant. The food is tasteless, utter gash. The insipid sauces only differ in colour - red, beige, green or cream.

Service depends on the size of your group. If you go there as a party they will ignore you all night, unless your ordering booze of course. Go as a couple and you can be out of there in 45 minutes. I went with a mate once prior to the smoking ban. I lit up a fag after I ordered, put it out when the starter arrived, re-lit it, put the same fag out when the main arrived and just manged to finish it before dessert. I've had to endure that place about five times over the years. Nothing has impressed me. If you want really cheap Italian food, try Piccolo's which is a cut above the rest of the shite in town.

On another note, I ate in Pizza Express in the Marina on Friday night. What an absolute piss take that place is! £8 for a shitty, cardboardy pizza that looks remarkably reminiscent of the frozen shit Tesco will sell you for £1.99. The useless fuckers even managed to burn it. Never again. Strada is next door and ten times better than that pile of shite. I'll happily pay for Jamie's set menu if it means I never have to go near a Pizza Express again in my lifetime.

weird innit how people have different dining experiences. i love pizza express pizzas, strada is top, with some lovely ladie staff who give me semis.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think the thing about convenience food is the convenience, not necessarily just the speed. You can cook quick food from real ingredients but you need to have bought the ingredients and then clean up afterwards. Many convenience foods can be classified as "heat up and scrape off" - and there is the convenience. Buy one thing, keep it in the freezer til needed, nuke it in microwave and chuck away carton. Convenient (if soulless).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
At least DK has another restaurant option to take RS to at the end of the season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can somebody explain why is it that most 'British' people when serving spag bol put a load of spaghetti on a plate and then dollop some sauce on the top of it. But most Italiens cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan and the sauce in another then drain the spaghetti then add the sauce to it stir it all in and cook for further minute or so.

Can somebody explain why is it that most 'British' people when serving spag bol put a load of spaghetti on a plate and then dollop some sauce on the top of it. But most Italiens cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan and the sauce in another then drain the spaghetti then add the sauce to it stir it all in and cook for further minute or so.
Don't worry, we all have our quirks.

When I was living in Italy, I used to make occasional visits to Florence, where I found a cheap boarding house over a Chinese restaurant. The menu downstairs was classic "English-style" Chinese, but they served up meals in the only way that made sense to their Italian customers. You were given the rice as a first course. Only when you'd finished your rice, would they serve up the meat course.

It was a very odd way to eat sweet and sour pork.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here