Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Carragher to start for England...... in MIDFIELD?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
True, but then he came up a league and defenders did not know about him, second half of the season they worked him out?

So he would also surprise World Cup defenders.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Are you sure? ??? Whenever I've seen him for Charlton his movement has been good and it was decent in the Uruguay game too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Suppose I should just be grateful that he's waking up to the idea of playing a 5 in midfield with one player holding - its certainly a step in the right direction. Not sure about this idea of playing Gerrard in an advanced role just off Owen though - Gerrards no good playing as a second striker receiving the ball with his back to goal, or chasing the ball down the channels, that is utterly pointless. Remains to be seen just HOW advanced Gerrard is deployed tonight I guess, but if he's too far forward, then once again, he's wasted.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Silent Bob said:
Are you sure? ??? Whenever I've seen him for Charlton his movement has been good and it was decent in the Uruguay game too.

Got to go with Bob on that Unc. Didn't he play as a lone striker for England?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Easy 10 said:
Suppose I should just be grateful that he's waking up to the idea of playing a 5 in midfield with one player holding - its certainly a step in the right direction. Not sure about this idea of playing Gerrard in an advanced role just off Owen though - Gerrards no good playing as a second striker receiving the ball with his back to goal, or chasing the ball down the channels, that is utterly pointless. Remains to be seen just HOW advanced Gerrard is deployed tonight I guess, but if he's too far forward, then once again, he's wasted.
Gerrard has played off Crouch for Liverpool many times this season. I doubt he'll be an orthodox second striker, more given license to roam as he is for 'pool.

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Silent Bob said:
Gerrard has played off Crouch for Liverpool many times this season. I doubt he'll be an orthodox second striker, more given license to roam as he is for 'pool.

Looks like he will be doing the same tonight, as it seems Owen isn't going to be risked

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Goring Gull said:
quarters final is the furthest we will go - i think this proves that.

you'll think we'll survive the group stages?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:

If he plays the Rooneyish role, it is not generally one with his back to goal. Rooney's best work has been dropping deep to find possession and then taking the ball forward. This could be adapted to work for Gerrard.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
blockhseagull said:
Well there are alot of spurs lovers on here, they must be the ones that want Defoe to go to the world cup also

Carrick does infact run most games - Im glad Defoe is not going to the World cup

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
If he plays the Rooneyish role, it is not generally one with his back to goal. Rooney's best work has been dropping deep to find possession and then taking the ball forward. This could be adapted to work for Gerrard.
I just want to see Gerrard in full-on "marauding" mode like he is for Liverpool. No pretensions about playing as an auxilliary striker, or playing just off Crouch or Owen. Just a role where he is free to drop deep to pick up possession, bounce it off someone and continue to power forward, exploit gaps, commit defenders, and float around that 18 yard line waiting for a loose ball or a lay-off, then BANG.

Perhaps tonight, now we have Carragher holding, finally Eriksson will give him licence to do exactly that, and we'll see the best from Gerrard AND Lampard for the first time ever in an England shirt.

Perhaps.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Easy 10 said:
I just want to see Gerrard in full-on "marauding" mode like he is for Liverpool. No pretensions about playing as an auxilliary striker, or playing just off Crouch or Owen. Just a role where he is free to drop deep to pick up possession, bounce it off someone and continue to power forward, exploit gaps, commit defenders, and float around that 18 yard line waiting for a loose ball or a lay-off, then BANG.

Perhaps tonight, now we have Carragher holding, finally Eriksson will give him licence to do exactly that, and we'll see the best from Gerrard AND Lampard for the first time ever in an England shirt.

Perhaps.

You forget it's an England friendly.... bound to underperform

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
Carrick does infact run most games

If you say so, flatters to decieve as far as I can tell. Were you on a train to Haywards at about 8.30 this morning?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
blockhseagull said:
You forget it's an England friendly.... bound to underperform
Well, as friendlies go, its a fairly important one being as Sven is playing his strongest team on the eve of the World Cup. And with Sven tweaking the setup in an (ok belated) attempt to get the best from Gerrard, I'm hopeful that tonight will turn out to be a really worthwhile exercise.

He's f***ed up the squad selection, but there IS still time for Eriksson to redeem himself by picking the right team and deploying them the right way. Course it all collapses if it turns out Owen isn't fit...but hey. At least he's trying it.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Easy 10 said:
Well, as friendlies go, its a fairly important one being as Sven is playing his strongest team on the eve of the World Cup. And with Sven tweaking the setup in an (ok belated) attempt to get the best from Gerrard, I'm hopeful that tonight will turn out to be a really worthwhile exercise.

He's f***ed up the squad selection, but there IS still time for Eriksson to redeem himself by picking the right team and deploying them the right way. Course it all collapses if it turns out Owen isn't fit...but hey. At least he's trying it.

I agree some of his squad selections were poor, but when it comes to strikers i think his hands were tied

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
blockhseagull said:
I agree some of his squad selections were poor, but when it comes to strikers i think his hands were tied
They may have been tied, but he didn't have to go and cut them off.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
Yes I was, standing you?

Have you turned into Yoda. Yes I thought I saw you down the other end of the carriage, looking very trim Mr P.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here