Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Carragher to start for England...... in MIDFIELD?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Marshy said:

Please.....we will learn nothing from Carragher playing in midfield tonight, just like we did when King played in midfield. As soon as we come up against a decent side he will be leftr wanting. Even Carrager himself has said that there a far better players than him in the squad for that role.

I seem to remember everyone waxing lyrical about playing King in Midfield against Poland, now we try it against Paraguay with Carragher and its like Sven has shagged the Queen.

Lets see what it looks like tonight before we slag it off eh? You never know it might just work.

1066gull

its a friendly, he is experimenting. this is the time to do it.

us english are so hypocritial sometimes

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hargreaves (defensive midfielder) selected at rightback v Belarus ???
Carragher (rightback/centreback) selected in midfield v Hungary ???

So in a squad totally overloaded with midfielders, he's STILL seen fit to convert a defender to a midfield role. If anyone can see the sense in that, then I'm afraid it'll need to be explained to me. YES its a relief that (2 games before the World Cup) Sven has finally thought about including a holding midfielder. Better late than never. But why, when we have two players in the squad who actually perform that role for their clubs, does he instead choose to adapt someone else to play there ? Why ?

Tonight, Sven is playing his strongest team (in his words). Given Rooneys absence, I'll be delighted if he really is ditching the 4-4-2. And this is as close I've seen to him getting it right. But I'm mystified at the Carragher selection. He should be bedding Carrick into that role now and getting a settled midfield in place to start the tournament, not fannying about playing Carragher there.

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Maybe he would prefer to play a defender in that role, we have seen that with King playing the role.

I doubt Carrick's piss poor performance in the B international helped him

Tricky Dicky said:
Although a little unusual, I'm not against the idea (until I see it). A very good all round versatile player, who you'd want in most squads, and assuming Gerrard is going to push forward behind Owen, it should help the Lamps/Gerrard problem.

Give it a go and see what happens. Better to do it tonight than next week.

Better to have done it a year ago with all our friendlies, than acting hair brained now.

We should be focussing on playing players in position and within an established system, its too late for experiments!

LC

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
blockhseagull said:
I doubt Carrick's piss poor performance in the B international helped him
Carricks had a storming season. If Svens left him out on the strength of one below-par performance in a disjointed B team, then he really is more stupid than I could ever have imagined.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I heard this this morning and immediately thought that it sums up why its so bloody stupid to not have Defoe or Bent in the squad!

When the 23 were announced i said that there's no point having Jenas, Carrick & Hargreaves as reserves all in the same squad. The 2 best central midefielders in the country are Lampard and Gerrard, Becks can play there as can Carragher and even Rio!

I've got no problems the decision to play Carragher there cos i think he'll do alright, its just that it makes a mockery of having 3 reserve central midfielders in the squad if they can't get in the team ahead of a defender! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Carragher, when asked about playing holding midfield:

"I am not good enough to do that for England. There are better players than me to play there"

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Easy 10 said:
Carricks had a storming season. If Svens left him out on the strength of one below-par performance in a disjointed B team, then he really is more stupid than I could ever have imagined.

I think Carrick's lack of experience might have something to do with it also

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
blockhseagull said:

Has Carragher played big matches...yes...has Carrick...no.

Thats a pathetic reason to pick Carragher over Carrick. To say Carrick hasnt played big matches is also wrong, he plays week in week out in the premiership and absolutly runs the show in most of those games controlling spurs attacks as well as breaking up opponents attacks. If it was a world cup final then I could understand that reasoning but its a friendly and is the perfect time for Carrick to get international experience.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Skint Gull said:
I heard this this morning and immediately thought that it sums up why its so bloody stupid to not have Defoe or Bent in the squad!

When the 23 were announced i said that there's no point having Jenas, Carrick & Hargreaves as reserves all in the same squad. The 2 best central midefielders in the country are Lampard and Gerrard, Becks can play there as can Carragher and even Rio!

I've got no problems the decision to play Carragher there cos i think he'll do alright, its just that it makes a mockery of having 3 reserve central midfielders in the squad if they can't get in the team ahead of a defender! :angry: :angry: :angry:
It's becoming increasingly clear that Rooney won't make the World Cup and that Defoe will be called up so chill out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Skint Gull said:

And given the state of Rooney and Owen, I'd have named 6 strikers in the squad (Rooney, Owen, Crouch, Bent, Defoe, Ashton). Rooneys gone, forget it. So as it stands, we're going to have Owen (who's already looking a bit iffy), with Crouch, Walcott and probably Defoe. The lunacy of this squad selection is going to be exposed BIG time if Owen pulls up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
blockhseagull said:
I think Carrick's lack of experience might have something to do with it also
And how much experience has Carragher got in playing a holding midfield role ?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
sir danny cullip said:
Thats a pathetic reason to pick Carragher over Carrick. To say Carrick hasnt played big matches is also wrong, he plays week in week out in the premiership and absolutly runs the show in most of those games controlling spurs attacks as well as breaking up opponents attacks. If it was a world cup final then I could understand that reasoning but its a friendly and is the perfect time for Carrick to get international experience.

I wasn't defending the decision, merely stating there might be reasons why Sven made this choice.

However you contradict yourself, as you state if this was the world cup final you could understand him picking Carragher... is that not what we are preparing for ?

I think if he doesn't pick Carrick he should pick Hargreaves ahead of Carragher... he has Big Tournament experience, played champions league and also plays that role for one of Europes top teams

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Easy 10 said:
And how much experience has Carragher got in playing a holding midfield role ?

Think you have misunderstood me.... i'm not necessarly saying it's the right choice, just why Sven might have done it.

Carragher is a good player and knows his limitations, maybe thats why sven has picked him ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Carrick must be absolutely gutted, another players confidence shattered.

I would be fuming if i was him.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
blockhseagull said:
Think you have misunderstood me.... i'm not necessarly saying it's the right choice, just why Sven might have done it.

Carragher is a good player and knows his limitations, maybe thats why sven has picked him ?

I think that is exactly it. I think he sees it entirely as a spoiler role who sits rigidly and gives the simple ball every time which is what Carragher would do. From what I have seen ( and I'll admit it won't be as much as others ) I don't think Carrick is the greatest reader of the game from a defensive standpoint which is something that Carragher very much is.

It's a wait and see from me.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I think it's a fairly decent idea, he's one of the best markers in the english game and he will be very disciplined tactically and with his passing. I see no real problem with it.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Sid James said:
I think that is exactly it. I think he sees it entirely as a spoiler role who sits rigidly and gives the simple ball every time which is what Carragher would do. From what I have seen ( and I'll admit it won't be as much as others ) I don't think Carrick is the greatest reader of the game from a defensive standpoint which is something that Carragher very much is.

It's a wait and see from me.

Spot on.

Sven being conservative as he is..... i think is too scared to play another midfielder in that role. Although Carrick is far better suited to the role he does drift forward from time to time.... i don't think Sven wants his holding midfielder to go over the halfway line

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Also the over rating of Carrick on NSC is getting out of hand. he is a decent player who plays a few nice balls from deep, nothing else. I certainly haven't seen any evidence of him running games and he isn't that great as a marker or tackler, he just happens to be very disciplined at holding his position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here