Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ivor Caplin.......a question.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
spot on. Hove BC turned down the planning application and only agreed it upon appeal when their lawyers said the club would win an appeal. It was a Tory council and labour were the minority. Labour won the next council elections.

A councillor did suggest putting a clause to this effect but was advised by the officers that it wasn't enforcable and the applicant could successfully appeal against it.

The by now labour controlled Hove BC did offer to buy the site and the surrounding factory units when the board were denying a sale had happened (but actually had). That was rejected because they'd already sold it

Thanks for the explanation.

Do you know - or anyone know why that clause wasn't enforceable when such a clause was in Merton and, by the sounds of it, Charlton?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Which was really part of my original point

I'm only going on what was said in the council meetings or from council documents. I think it is the willingness of the applicant to accept the clause and what 'interest' the council has in the site.

Didn't Greenwich council have control of the access to the valley site which was their trump card?

As for Wimbledon didn't Merton allow development of flats on the plough lane football stadium site? I believe they turned down a supermarket development. I also believe that the issue was that a covenant was placed on the site limiting it to sport and recreational use (which hamman bought out). The blocking of the supermarket was on traffic and environmental grounds rather than any council clause. They allowed planning permission for housing and community use and then safeway sold the site to Rosebury (now with planning permission).

I could be wrong on the merton stuff as I'm relying on my memory of their fans utd

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
This trolling the board, picking fights with HT and Bev Hillbilly is boring now.
for your guide buzzer , i didnt 'pick a fight' with bev hillbilly, check your facts before you start moralising at me, i asked someone on the best pub in sussex thread a question when bevendean hillbilly made one of his many snide responses to one of my posts , i dont feel like just sitting there and taking it if thats ok with you ? the same goes for HT as well, they love having digs and making snide comments , im just more upfront about it.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'm only going on what was said in the council meetings or from council documents. I think it is the willingness of the applicant to accept the clause and what 'interest' the council has in the site.

Didn't Greenwich council have control of the access to the valley site which was their trump card?

As for Wimbledon didn't Merton allow development of flats on the plough lane football stadium site? I believe they turned down a supermarket development. I also believe that the issue was that a covenant was placed on the site limiting it to sport and recreational use (which hamman bought out). The blocking of the supermarket was on traffic and environmental grounds rather than any council clause. They allowed planning permission for housing and community use and then safeway sold the site to Rosebury (now with planning permission).

I could be wrong on the merton stuff as I'm relying on my memory of their fans utd
there is a big development of flats on the plough lane site, many if not all are occupied.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
for your guide buzzer , i didnt 'pick a fight' with bev hillbilly, check your facts before you start moralising at me, i asked someone on the best pub in sussex thread a question when bevendean hillbilly made one of his many snide responses to one of my posts , i dont feel like just sitting there and taking it if thats ok with you ? the same goes for HT as well, they love having digs and making snide comments , im just more upfront about it.

And you're continuing the fight in this one. Just seems to me you're spoiling for a fight. Make love not war, eh?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Not with you buzzer, or HT to be honest ,just bev hillbilly, the school bully's weakling mate ,apologies if ive appeared aggressive, i'll try and temper it in future.

Like I said the other day...if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

You have the arse with me now, on other occaisions its been others. You just hate it when someone has a pop back.

As it goes I think you have loads of interesting things to say when you're not slagging down peoples jobs, income, lifestyles etc. It is just uneccessary.

Anyroad. Lifes too short.

Carry on.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Like I said the other day...if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

You have the arse with me now, on other occaisions its been others. You just hate it when someone has a pop back.

As it goes I think you have loads of interesting things to say when you're not slagging down peoples jobs, income, lifestyles etc. It is just uneccessary.

Anyroad. Lifes too short.

Carry on.
i can take it , but lets extend the hand of friendship, olive branch etc ?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
are you going to orient away ?? will buy you a pint there if we are in the same pub, same goes for all the people i argue with on here.

Depends on whether my new bundle of joy puts in an appearance anytime soon!

Sounds like a plan though.

spot on. Hove BC turned down the planning application and only agreed it upon appeal when their lawyers said the club would win an appeal. It was a Tory council and labour were the minority. Labour won the next council elections.

A councillor did suggest putting a clause to this effect but was advised by the officers that it wasn't enforcable and the applicant could successfully appeal against it.

The by now labour controlled Hove BC did offer to buy the site and the surrounding factory units when the board were denying a sale had happened (but actually had). That was rejected because they'd already sold it

The problem was that the REASON Hove's Tory councillors turned down the planning application was that they didn't want new retail space in the borough that might compete with the shops on Church Road, George Street and Blatchington Road.

This isn't a valid planning reason - which meant that any appeal would be bound to succeed. So they caved in and allowed the planning application, as submitted.

What they should have done in the first place is grant the planning application, but put a condition on it - that the development could only go ahead once the football club had relocated to an alternative site in Hove or Brighton.

It was the fact that this option hadn't even been considered by the chums of the shopkeepers, who were the council majority at the time, that meant that it never had a chance of happening.

The rest is history.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'd get a member of staff who has no interest in football to do it.

I'm still mulling over the idea of having me ashes scattered, freely, at the Toys R Us checkout at Hove at 4pm on the last Saturday before christmas, in the December after my death, hopefully it would shut the shop on the busiest day of the year.

Oi! Stop copying me!

See my previous posts!

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
The problem was that the REASON Hove's Tory councillors turned down the planning application was that they didn't want new retail space in the borough that might compete with the shops on Church Road, George Street and Blatchington Road.

This isn't a valid planning reason - which meant that any appeal would be bound to succeed. So they caved in and allowed the planning application, as submitted.

What they should have done in the first place is grant the planning application, but put a condition on it - that the development could only go ahead once the football club had relocated to an alternative site in Hove or Brighton.

It was the fact that this option hadn't even been considered by the chums of the shopkeepers, who were the council majority at the time, that meant that it never had a chance of happening.

The rest is history.

Bang on the money Edwardo, even in opposition Red Ivor was in with the club so why he didn't think of that I'm still trying to work out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here