Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ivor Caplin.......a question.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
As for the timing of the Club's planning application to redevelop the Goldstone ... it was when Barry Lloyd was still Managing Director of the Club.

And it was Lord Bassam of Whitehawk that actually put the brakes in 1993 on Barry Lloyd's ambitious plans for Beeding cement works for a multi purpose stadium in association with Pepsi Cola.

Rumour has it Neil Diamond was pencilled in for the opening gig.

It truly would have been a beautiful noise.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
What they should have done in the first place is grant the planning application, but put a condition on it - that the development could only go ahead once the football club had relocated to an alternative site in Hove or Brighton.

It was the fact that this option hadn't even been considered by the chums of the shopkeepers, who were the council majority at the time, that meant that it never had a chance of happening.

The rest is history.

But i do believe it was suggested and rejected by the officers (it may well have been Bonkers Bob Baily who suggested it). I dont think even Ivor could be blamed for that (or maybe I'm wrong).

You're right about the 'unqiue' reasons for rejection and the ease with which they could be challenged.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
How was that?

It wouldn't have been anything to do with him.

According to Andy Lee, dubbed Secret Squirrel in the Eye, who was very close to Baz at the time the club still needed some small financial backing from Brighton Council which Lord B blocked because it was going to be in Beeding.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Andy Lee - former agent to Gary Chivers and Hire car dealer?

Sorry but I think the block to beeding was actually one Mr W E Archer.

And Lord B may be able to verify but a council supporting a construction outside of it's own boundaries (actually two districts away) may well have incurred interest from trhe district auditor.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
According to Andy Lee, dubbed Secret Squirrel in the Eye, who was very close to Baz at the time the club still needed some small financial backing from Brighton Council which Lord B blocked because it was going to be in Beeding.

Why - and how - would Brighton Borough Council provide funds for something outside its area and outside its own remit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here