Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ivor Caplin.......a question.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Al have you got your dates wrong old boy? (Last thing we want is you pregnant)

I thought Red Ivor had been swept to power at Hove Council in May of 1995, in a borough wide protest vote against the Tories.

I don't think I'm really 'turning on' him, its just he was high profile, who can forget him giving it 'large Ibiza' along with President Dick on the pitch at Hereford.

Sorry Al but part of me thinks he and the council could have done more, with perhaps the whole ring fence issue being an example.

The planning application to re-develop the Goldstone was in 1992 - three years before Labour took control of Hove. It's something Ivor Caplin had little influence over.

By the time Ivor became Council Leader, the (secret) deal to sell the Goldstone was already done and dusted - and there was f***-all anyone could do about it. You can't unilaterally undo planning consent.

True, the Council should have done more with the original planning application, but by time of the War Years, the club were acting within the law - if outside the boundaries of morality.

Midfield General

Nov 15, 2009
Maybe the time has come to move on. Over the years many famous Stadiums have gone,and it is the memories of the great matches, the highlights and the might have beens that stay with us. Sure ,what happened was criminal but we can,t change it....I for many years could,nt drive past the Goldstone but due to other people driving me around took me by the area quite a few times and now I drive by it with a tinge of nostalgia for the past. Let,s remember the Good Days and look forward to this Club going on to even Better Times. I have supported this Club since 1953 ..Highs and Lows and I feel we are going places now we have a Stadium to look foreward to. As far as the Goldstone is concerned there should be a large Plaque or Sign commemorating the
Ground on the Old Shoreham Rd site.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I fear we all have selective memories. I recall the fans lobbying the Council to grant planning permission on the Goldstone, because it then increased the value of the site and guaranteed our horrendous debts. The alternative was bankruptcy. In retrospect this would of course have been better but at the time I remember Des Lynam fronting a Save Our Seagulls campaign to this effect.
PG

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
why ? dont you like being reminded of what the german psyche was like relatively recently ?

:shootself

I think you've answered your own question.

(do you feel a bit silly with that response? I mean, I didnt even lay a trap for you)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I fear we all have selective memories. I recall the fans lobbying the Council to grant planning permission on the Goldstone, because it then increased the value of the site and guaranteed our horrendous debts. The alternative was bankruptcy. In retrospect this would of course have been better but at the time I remember Des Lynam fronting a Save Our Seagulls campaign to this effect.
PG

spot on. Hove BC turned down the planning application and only agreed it upon appeal when their lawyers said the club would win an appeal. It was a Tory council and labour were the minority. Labour won the next council elections.

A councillor did suggest putting a clause to this effect but was advised by the officers that it wasn't enforcable and the applicant could successfully appeal against it.

The by now labour controlled Hove BC did offer to buy the site and the surrounding factory units when the board were denying a sale had happened (but actually had). That was rejected because they'd already sold it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
spot on. Hove BC turned down the planning application and only agreed it upon appeal when their lawyers said the club would win an appeal. It was a Tory council and labour were the minority. Labour won the next council elections.

A councillor did suggest putting a clause to this effect but was advised by the officers that it wasn't enforcable and the applicant could successfully appeal against it.

The by now labour controlled Hove BC did offer to buy the site and the surrounding factory units when the board were denying a sale had happened (but actually had). That was rejected because they'd already sold it

Thanks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What?

• 14 years without a stadium
  • Nearly went bust and out of the league
  • Lost a whole generation of fans
  • Spent over a decade watching our club in a wet and horrible stadium

Yeah, brilliant.

I am not overlooking this, and I certainly will never forget what happened. And I did suggest in my post it has not been the perfect route.

But, what I am saying is that I'm moving on and looking forward to the new stadium now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i knew it was meant for me.

Dont flatter yourself. It was a general comment.

Are you okay today? You dont seem to be with it.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would think the council would have had trouble turning down planning applications for a brownfield site on the basis suggested without losing out on appeal from the developers.

I don't think, strictly speaking, the future of a football club is a planning concern.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Brighton and Hove Albion is the club, it is the people that run it, it is the players that represent them on the field and most importantly it is the fans it serves and is served by. It is not a pile of bricks around a giant green. It is not the Goildstone, not the Priestfield, not Withdean and it won't be falmer.

These places are the location of many great memories, but they are simply that: locations.

I imagine almost everyone on here do not live in the house they were born in. We grow, we move we settle elsewhere and make memories there. I've been past some of my old homes and they bring back fond memories. Going past my old family home I don't remember the times I was a naughty boy and my parents told me off, I remember the fun times, the good memories.

As it is with the goldstone. I'm not going to waste mental energy on the negatives of goldstone being gone. I'm not going to let archer et al dictate where I will or won't go in this city. I'm not going to waste my life avoiding the goldstone retail park because of them. When I go past it or into it I will remember fondly George Parris cheekily hiding by the goal post, I will remember walking out as a match mascot, I will remember beating wimbledon in the zenith cup (or whatever it was that year), I will remember hosting the england youth game, taking liverpool to extra time in the replay.

I will forever remember goldstone fondly and Belotti, Archer and Stanley will never take that from me, and I will look forward to more, hopefully even better, memories at our new home.

Last edited:

Seems to me Harty that one day you should sit down and write an insiders memoir of the things that went on back then. I know we've got Build a Bonfire but you do have a particular insight that would make a good read.
(I've just bought a copy of Build a Bonfire off of Amazon and cant remember the last time I was so looking forward to the post man coming. ( that sounds a bit wrong))

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here