Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've just had an epiphany....I don't think I really CARE any more

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm with Conboy and mcshane in the 79th.

Not really all that fussed about England - although I'm right behind them when they play and would love England to do well for a change.

I watch every game of the tournament and England going out doesn't take anything away from it for me.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's got to the stage where I would have been more upset if England had thrown away the one day game against Australia (from an unbeatable position) than I was about England losing to Germany.

I know so many previously died in the wool football fans who are drifting away because of Premiership football and the sort of crap we are meant to suck up from the England team. If these prima donnas don't give a shit then why should I?

Inevitable, pathetic, irksome - and I was over it by the time Emile Heskey (yes, mile Bloody Heskey) was sent on to turn around a 4-1 scoreline.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
...very nice it was too, bit of greek salad on the side.

But after that, I realised - I just don't really CARE about England so much any more. Previous World Cup exits have hit me hard. I've felt devastated, gutted beyond belief and its taken DAYS to wear off. The party is only just getting started, and once again, we've shuffled off out of the door to a pre-ordered cab just as things were getting interesting.

And today, we did our usual, in time-honoured fashion. We went out by being piss-poor (but with a lovely BIG excuse to cling to), and at the end I felt.....very little. And I think I know why.

At 11.45 today, I was stood at Village Way, gazing in awe at some graceful, gleaming white arches. It filled me with such a feeling of pride and hope, that nothing could detract from it. Not even another England exit from a major tournament. It put EVERYTHING into a new perspective. So tonight, I'll watch the England highlights and the analysis with a feeling of mild regret but also a feeling of detachment. Kind of like a 6 year old watching a snail with a cracked shell on a pavement going through its dried-up, dying throes. Its shell shattered, its future doomed. I'll feel a moment of sorrow, but then I'll move on quickly, because I know there's a far brighter, more interesting future for something I REALLY care about.

I appreciate I've joined the party late here, and many people had already lost that feeling for England long ago, and for very valid reasons, many perhaps the same as my own. I WILL still watch and support England, and hope they do well. But today, it just doesn't seem to matter so much, and I dunno if thats a good thing or not to be honest. I thought I'd be GUTTED right now...but really, I'm not.

The rest of the tournament ? Pfff. Not bothered with that either.

Roll on Swindon.

:amex::amex::amex:
:falmer::falmer::falmer:
:ascarf::ascarf::ascarf:

Bring on the Swindon!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well I care. This was a different to 2002 and 2006, then we'd reached the level I was expecting and we got knocked out by teams who were better than us (Yes. They. Were.) This time I really thought, REALLY thought we'd finally beat a 'big' team in a World Cup knock-out match for the first time since 1966. So I'm gutted, pissed off and upset. The only saving grace was at least it was a comprehensive defeat and no one can hide behind the disallowed 'goal' - although I'm sure some will.

Sorry, seeing the new ground isn't helping me at the moment.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well I care. This was a different to 2002 and 2006, then we'd reached the level I was expecting and we got knocked out by teams who were better than us (Yes. They. Were.) This time I really thought, REALLY thought we'd finally beat a 'big' team in a World Cup knock-out match for the first time since 1966. So I'm gutted, pissed off and upset. The only saving grace was at least it was a comprehensive defeat and no one can hide behind the disallowed 'goal' - although I'm sure some will.

Sorry, seeing the new ground isn't helping me at the moment.

Did you really go beyond our 1st game of this tournament thinking that? I'm amazed that anyone could back these guys to do anything after that and the subsequent games :shrug:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Did you really go beyond our 1st game of this tournament thinking that? I'm amazed that anyone could back these guys to do anything after that and the subsequent games :shrug:
Yes I did. I know, I know, there was no footballing basis for me to believe that and it was the ultimate triumph of folorn hope over bitter experience - but I REALLY thought we'd get it together enough to beat what is still an emerging and developing German team. I've always been a realist when it comes to England (or a 'Defeatist' as our esteemed colleague DKM would say), but we go home having only beaten Slovenia. Honestly, we ARE better than that - despite history emphatically suggesting otherwise.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yes I did. I know, I know, there was no footballing basis for me to believe that and it was the ultimate triumph of folorn hope over bitter experience - but I REALLY thought we'd get it together enough to beat what is still an emerging and developing German team. I've always been a realist when it comes to England (or a 'Defeatist' as our esteemed colleague DKM would say), but we go home having only beaten Slovenia. Honestly, we ARE better than that - despite history emphatically suggesting otherwise.

Very good Brovian - I only use the term defeatist to counter your jibes about the golden generation. :thumbsup:

I did think this time that we had a manager who could make a team out of the players we had. Make more than the sum of the parts.

If Fabio can't do it - it does make me think it can't be done. Not with this lot of players anyway.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very good Brovian - I only use the term defeatist to counter your jibes about the golden generation. :thumbsup:

I did think this time that we had a manager who could make a team out of the players we had. Make more than the sum of the parts.

If Fabio can't do it - it does make me think it can't be done. Not with this lot of players anyway.
It was the terms 'Golden Generation' and 'Best team since 1970' I objected to rather than the players - because they were in essence no better than previous England teams. Or if they WERE better as individuals it was in 'clumps' (like good central midfielders) rather than spread evenly across the team.

Anyway we've been having this discussion for the last four years and neither of us has convinced the other! God knows where we go from here ...

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I agree with the original post until the line about not caring about the rest of the tournament.

I am really enjoying watching some of the teams play (Argentina, Germany, Ghana, Spain) and England being out doesn't mean my interest stops.

Bring on the rest of the tournament!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Four words for you.

f*** off you prick.

On a football forum you expect football discussion. Live with it or piss off and do something else with your Sunday evening.

Not no, you feel the need to drag me into your pointless post for no reason other than getting gratification from the possibility of getting quoted with a clapping smiley from one of the other retarded goons on here who gets on my back unjustifiably.

I haven't even said we're a national disgrace. I've said it's quite predictable but quite frustrating, which I don't think is out of turn. I've also made a big point of the press bigging them up and then knocking it down being a major problem with this country. Which actually isn't entirely different from the point you're making.

So in short then: you're a twat.
Bless.

I didn't actually bother looking at your players ratings, but I'm sure there were lots of 1s and 2s and even a couple of big fat zeros in there. Out of interest, did you controversially post that one of them deserved to die? That's the sort of thing you'd normally do.

Anyway, I'd ask you to repeat that to my face if only I thought your balls had dropped. :lolol:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Perhaps we should introduce a rule of only five non English players in the Premiersh1te

or we could go the German route and a maximum of only 5 non English players in the national team:lolol:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I agree with the original post until the line about not caring about the rest of the tournament.

I am really enjoying watching some of the teams play (Argentina, Germany, Ghana, Spain) and England being out doesn't mean my interest stops.

Bring on the rest of the tournament!
spot on, the South American teams have been a joy to watch in the main so far, I'm really looking forward to Brazil Chile tonight and have a odd feeling that a shock may be in the offing.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I started to care less the older I became and the less I drank. 2006 didn't grab my attention, mainly because the tournament was shite but I think overall I can put the lack of care down to one thing:
John Terry.

I stopped giving a shit about England when he was captain as I can't support a racist thick thug as a leader. Capello made my year when he dropped him from his captaincy but that didn't stop out John. No, he thought he'd decide to break ranks, declare to the press the Manager was wrong for not picking his friend (who went on to amaze the WC audience with his one tricky pony lack of creativity), and then went missing for 3 of the four games.
If Cappello or the new manager have the balls to drop this idiot from the next campaign I'll give them my support.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can sum up my feelings in 4 lines:

"Knocked out of the World Cup
We're out of the hunt
Rooney's a tosser
And Terry's a (unt."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here