Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've just had an epiphany....I don't think I really CARE any more

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yeah, that's right.

post on one thread demanding a new England manager, but still have a pop at me for daring to defend myself against accusations of being sensationalist idiot (which, for once, i haven't been).

Still, I suppose you're in one of the best positions to judge posts that are all about the person writing them, after all you managed to excel yourself in making about 3000 posts crying that you couldn't get a ticket for a football match, even forcing the club into spending money just to introduce a policy that keeps yourself happy.

So yeah, er, thanks for your valid and insightful contribution to this thread. :wave:

Oh dear, infamy infamy

By the way it was no where near 3000 posts and things had to change as there were several people who complained apart from me but don't let facts get in the way.

Calm down FFS

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
The point is that the England defence was always the suspect area before the WC. Even before Rio Ferdicoke pulled out. Look at how the Spanish play their football, at all levels. it is quite breathtaking, all feeling confident on the ball . The three teams that were relegated from La Liga were still trying to play football up to the end. In the premiershite Bolton Wanderers , who were not relegated, never played an ounce of football all season. There in lies the problem.
Sky go on and on about how the premiershite is the best league on the world. Total bull. It ain't and never has been and probably never will be.

Sad to say but we are nowhere near technical enough or able enough to compete in the later stages of a major tournament.

Capello out and Hodgson in.

TNBA

TTF

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Not surprising to find some like-minded chaps this afternoon.

One part of me is really gutted today. Not that England have gone out, but that I don't really CARE they've gone out - and that has come as a genuine surprise to me. Honestly it has. I suppose it has to be put down to a gradual erosion of my respect for the players who wear the shirt these days and who are out there to apparently "represent" us. I've put to the back of my mind the overhyping, the money, the diamond earrings at press conferences, the usual soundbites, because underneath it all, after all is said and done, I've hoped that one day they could perhaps just have the ability to make me proud. And once again, they've proved they can't.

I WANT to love the England team, but I just can't any more. Something that used to bring me such pride and excitement has died now. I'm not sad we've gone out - I'm sad that I'm not sad.

(if that makes any sense whatsoever)

Ive been at this stage since the Sven reign Easy. Now Im hoping you understand where i have been coming from in recent weeks.

I think even during qualification when we were winning i could see this happening, this is the first time in my life i havent even looked forward to the World Cup.

Actually now we are out im really looking forward to tonights game.

It says it all really. I just dont care for England the way i care for the Albion anymore, I used to, hopefully i will get that feeling back one day.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sad to say but we are nowhere near technical enough or able enough to compete in the later stages of a major tournament.

Capello out and Hodgson in.

TNBA

TTF

Serious question.

Bearing in mind that you lay the blame at the feet of the players not being good enough technically - what can Roy Hodgson (someone I admire very much, and woud happily listen to all evening) bring to the table that Fabio Capello cannot?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have tried so hard in the run up to the World Cup to be positive about our team and our chances, but i have known all along that this was going to happen.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Serious question.

Bearing in mind that you lay the blame at the feet of the players not being good enough technically - what can Roy Hodgson (someone I admire very much, and woud happily listen to all evening) bring to the table that Fabio Capello cannot?

The players were shit, however they didnt stand a chance with the formation and players playing out of position.

The manager has to take the lions share of the blame.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
For once I think WW had a point.

Does he?

WW usually posts sensationalist threads on here. He knows it. His signature usually alludes to it so why is he so surprised when someone says "leave the sensationalist and OTT threads to people like WW"?

If WW doesn't like people thinking that he's some kind of cock then perhaps he ought to temper his views. Just an idea.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Can't be bothered to read the whole post Easy - keep 'em short and more people will, but share the sentiments in what I did read. We drove back from the Jewel On The South Coast (Seaford) after the game and the sight of Falmer was enough to expunge any World Cup woes. What a stadium and how miserable to be a Palace fan with nothing to look forward to with the coming season but treading water/a steady decline.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, I agree.

I will argue team selection, and critique performances, mostly because I like discussion, but I stopped getting too emotionally invested in England's results a long time ago. During the McClaren reign I actually found the reaction to the results more interesting than the games themselves.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
yes it hurts, but not as much as last time, that was it for me. Press will crucify Capello and the team. I still believe that it may have been a very different game had a certain goal been allowed. We will never know. Luck has a lot to do with winning a world cup- the argument is you make your own luck. Do we ever have any luck ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I stopped really caring after 2004, It was taking to the next level today when I witnessed twats fighting each other in Brighton after this game.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I only care because it fills an otherwise dull few weeks before the real stuff gets going. Swindon away cant come soon enough.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I don't know if I'd say the players aren't good enough technically, I think it's about getting players to play to their best potential for England. How do we do that? I'm not convinced we can. I think there's a cultural thing, a star player attitude. We have Rooney who is the star for Utd having to share the spotlight with Gerrard who is the star for liverpool sharing the spotlight with the play maker for chelsea... too many of our players go from being the big fish to be one of the boys, they're egos get hurt, then we either have chummy manager where they see themselves on a level with the manager and so think they should have a say, or they have an authority figure who takes charge and the players' egos get hurt and they don't feel as invested.

stu7878

mid air general
Oct 9, 2008
Thank God for our beloved Albion.... Football would seem meaningless to me currently. At least outside of the premiership we can still clasp onto a world where the players are not in a completely different world of fame, fortune and celebrity.
I'd still swap it for prem football at falmer mind!

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Have to agree with the original post, I'm over it already. I think I've found it so easy because the England team are such an unlikeable shallow bunch of divs that I can't sympathise with any of them, i'm actually pleased this bunch of underperforming wankers are going to take so much grief in the next few weeks as it couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of cocks. I too am gutted I've given up on England but the sooner we don't have the miserable face and droning whine of gerrard et al the better. f*** off England you passionless gimps.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I tried so hard to get patrotic today, but still couldn't get that excited by the match. I did actually cheer Lampard's goal which is the first England goal I've actually cheered for a long long time. And even that wasn't actually given as a goal!

I knew England couldn't win the tournament from the outset but I still hoped for something special to happen, and it just didn't.

I bloody enjoy all the other games though!

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Luckily I haven't been emotionally attached to England since the WC started, it just wasn't happening no matter how hard I tried to "love my country". Only support England for the social side, really. Although it's not particularly enjoyable having Premier League 'fans' shouting " *insert rival club player* you *insert club name* ****, f*** off back to *insert club name* " every time a player slips up.

But I'll continue to enjoy the rest of the tournament :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The fact that the England squad in the main come across as thick, unlikeable mercenaries who have shown over 4 games that they can't actually play the basics of football at this level really comes as no suprise. We are always a disappointment and I am over that debacle already. Roll on the new season and being able to watch a team who actually stir my emotions.

I think we can put this squad down as the worst ever to represent England at a World Cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here