Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've got a feeling this could be...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He was a superb player in his prime and I doubt Valencia were paying him pennies. I wouldn't imagine money is a key factor to him.

Your excluding from the equation the factor known as the 'agent'. Assuming he is on say £10k a week (possibly more), that's £260k up until the end of June. The only reason he might agree to mutual termination would be if he was fit to play and could get a contract in Spain. Otherwise, if he remained unfit then just sit back and collect the salary. Having said that, news from the Argus is promising and I'd rather see him playing in the stripes again as we couldn't afford a replacement!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A very busy transfer window coming up for us. I think Gus has finally realized players like Harley, Dicker, Barnes etc would simply not be good enough in the Premiership, which is ultimately what the club are trying to achieve. The possible termination of Vicente's contract to free up more of the wage bill, and also whether CMS will be a Brighton player at the end of the month means we could be seeing a lot of new players coming in (if Gus has lined up suitable replacements).
He's been dropped to the bench and with the amount of chances he's missed this season he clearly wouldn't be good enough for the Prem. As for Vicente, I would imagine he'd mutually terminate his contract, I very much doubt he'd be worried about the money.

Barnes was dropped to the bench last season, but came back into the team. He was dropped to the bench earlier this season, but came back into the team. His replacement on Saturday also missed a lot of chances. Last season barnes took 79 shots and scored 14. That's 65 missed shots, over 50 appearances. This season he is on 36 shots, four goals in 21 appearances. 32 shots over 21 appearances. That's not a huge difference (1.3 v 1.5), and last season he ended our top scorer. Barnes has featured in every matchday squad, playing in 21 of 22 games. I don't think Poyet has given up on barnes just because he was on the bench v charlton.

Dicker has also survived a lot of fan negativity to feature in 20 of 22 matchday squads. Gus likes Dicker too.

Harley, has only featured in 10 of 22 matchday squads, making it into the game only 3 times. One of them was v Swindon. His appearance in matchday squads tend to coincide with a string of injuries.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Harley go, but Dicker or Barnes leaving (unless for a good fee) would be a surprise, not because of how I rate them, but because of how Gus appears to rate them.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Dec 29, 2011
I'm massively worried that someone will come in with a decent offer for Bridcutt and he'll go. I hope to hell it doesn't happen but I've got one of those bad feelings.

I'm more worried someone will come in with a crap offer for Bridcutt and he'll go.

Also on the Seb Ribas topic, apparently we offered him 900,000 euros tax-free salary in the summer but Monaco topped it. Also note he hasn't played a game since moving to Monaco (another sick note?).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm more worried someone will come in with a crap offer for Bridcutt and he'll go.

Also on the Seb Ribas topic, apparently we offered him 900,000 euros tax-free salary in the summer but Monaco topped it. Also note he hasn't played a game since moving to Monaco (another sick note?).

Bridcutt will stay - at least until the end of the season as with Crofts/Bennett/Noone.

I can 100% assure you that our interest in Ribas never got as far as discussing terms but if it had we would not have offered anyone a tax free salary to anyone.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
A very busy transfer window coming up for us. I think Gus has finally realized players like Harley, Dicker, Barnes etc would simply not be good enough in the Premiership, which is ultimately what the club are trying to achieve. The possible termination of Vicente's contract to free up more of the wage bill, and also whether CMS will be a Brighton player at the end of the month means we could be seeing a lot of new players coming in (if Gus has lined up suitable replacements).

I think it will be another Gus masterclass in signing players that will never play. A semi retired midfielder from La Liga and a striker like Chris Wood is the likely outcome

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Think a borderline 'bench' striker and a very good defender (CB) will be the only buys. Expect a couple of fringe players out. LuaLua in shock exit? Hope not as unpredictable spark off bench but Gus not as into wingers these days even compared to when we first got up. Buckley or none I think (prefers Barnes type or a wide playing 'hole' player).

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Your excluding from the equation the factor known as the 'agent'. Assuming he is on say £10k a week (possibly more), that's £260k up until the end of June. The only reason he might agree to mutual termination would be if he was fit to play and could get a contract in Spain. Otherwise, if he remained unfit then just sit back and collect the salary. Having said that, news from the Argus is promising and I'd rather see him playing in the stripes again as we couldn't afford a replacement!

He would most likely return to Spain and there would still be offers from other clubs, I'm sure his Agent wouldn't be too bothered at receiving another fee once signed.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We'll bring in a load of mediocre midfielders whilst retaining Sparrow, Harley and Dicker because you can never have enough midfielders knocking about doing feck all.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I'm massively worried that someone will come in with a decent offer for Bridcutt and he'll go. I hope to hell it doesn't happen but I've got one of those bad feelings.

This is a genuine worry in my opinion he is having another fine season.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Think a borderline 'bench' striker and a very good defender (CB) will be the only buys. Expect a couple of fringe players out. LuaLua in shock exit? Hope not as unpredictable spark off bench but Gus not as into wingers these days even compared to when we first got up. Buckley or none I think (prefers Barnes type or a wide playing 'hole' player).

Dont disagree with this at all. We would only sell if we get good offers, having said that i would think Norwich would come in for one of our players - probably not CMS either (i mean they arent having difficulty winning games or anything). Wouldnt be surprised if we pull of a shock in the defender category by getting a player with a big reputation in - bit like Wayne Bridge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here