Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've bought a VENUS FLYTRAP

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I've got one as well. I've had it about 6 months. I water it loads with plain old tap water and it is very healthy. I was slightly disappointed when it reopened after catching a couple of bluebottles. The flies were still there. I have tried to knock them out a couple of times but the trap shuts.

It also grew a huge stem - about 12 inches high (that's pretty high when the plant only reaches about 2-3 inches from the soil) which eventually budded and six little white flowers opened. It's got a pretty side too.

Feed McGhee to it

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We've had them before, and they've never really lived very long. Kieran hates having flies in his room, so I got him one once, but I don't think he got the idea as I found him chasing a fly around with the plant in his hand.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, they can survive underwater for WEEKS at a time actually, according to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_fly_trap

Here's a useful tip from Wikipedia as well:

"Growers should resist the temptation to trigger the traps manually, whether by poking them or by feeding them food such as hamburger, which will rot traps due to high fat content."

Cos I was going to feed it BURGERS, obviously.

:lolol: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
easy - you are an inspiration

i have bought myself one this morning, ready to hand over to the girlfriend tonight as her going away present for uni

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I hope she takes it the right way Scotty
:thumbsup:

I've just been back to Halfords to buy the thing some DISTILLED water and a little squirty jug. Bastard better not die on me now I've gone to all this effort and expense.

He's in the garden now, getting some sun.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i can just imagine a man walking around everywhere with a venus fly trap under his arm, talking to it :lolol:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Easy 10 said:
He's looking a bit peaky today, and a couple more of the mouths have opened up. I think he needs some DISTILLED water, but I don't know where I can get any in Haywards Heath. He might have to come home with me again, I can't leave him all weekend with no water can I.

Tch.
Give it some out of your car battery.......;) :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They all seem to have closed their mouths. No WAY have they all cauught flies while I've been out for a curry (I've not decorated my walls in excrement or anthing). Is this normal ?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Easy 10 said:
They all seem to have closed their mouths. No WAY have they all cauught flies while I've been out for a curry (I've not decorated my walls in excrement or anthing). Is this normal ?

maybe they're sleeping?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Marc said:
maybe they're sleeping?
They were going mental for the sunshine earlier, they ALL started gaping open. And thye've sucked all the distilled water from the dish under their pot this afternoon. They're INSATIABLE.

I honestly never realised these bastards are so active.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Easy 10 said:
They were going mental for the sunshine earlier, they ALL started gaping open. And thye've sucked all the distilled water from the dish under their pot this afternoon. They're INSATIABLE.

Be afraid Easy, be VERY afraid :ohmy:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Easy 10 said:

It's time to stop watering and let nature take it's course.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
hmm got me thinking, howe about feeding them a fly drowned in MIRACLE GROW!

bush_flytrap.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tom Hark said:
Be afraid Easy, be VERY afraid :ohmy:
I might lock it under the stairs tonight. Its by my keyboard, and one of them is slowly opening now. Its making me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Easy 10 said:
I might lock it under the stairs tonight. Its by my keyboard, and one of them is slowly opening now. Its making me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Plop yer todger in it ... don't tell me it hasn't crossed your mind ...;)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bry Nylon said:
Plop yer todger in it ... don't tell me it hasn't crossed your mind ...;)
Well, its actually been suggested on this thread. But I don't want one of those teeth going up my japs eye, thankyouverymuch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here