Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've bought a VENUS FLYTRAP

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thought I'd get a bit of greenery for my desk at work, and mooching round B&Q today I caught sight of a Venus Flytrap. What an interesting plant. Did you know, each inidividual trap (and the plant I bought has 22) will only catch, on average, a maximum of 3 insects in its lifetime ? The two sections forming the "trap" each have 3 or 4 small bristles within the leaf (on the tongue bit). When disturbed by something moving on them, it stimulates cells in the lobes, which then rapidly swell and trigger the trap movement to close rapidly. The insect is then digested over a period of about 10 days, leaving only a small husk, or "chitin". The trap then reopens.

There. We've all learned something. Hope I see it catch something, I'll be WELL excited.
:)

vft17.jpg

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
how much?!

i think i have found the perfect present!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was mine for the princely sum of £2.98.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
around £15 i think, or cheaper

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Easy 10 said:
It was mine for the princely sum of £2.98.

which b&q was it at?

i am going to have to get one

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Scotty M said:
which b&q was it at?

i am going to have to get one
The one in Shoreham along the seafront road (by Halfords). They had several, but I think I chose the most VICIOUS looking one.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I used to have one when I was younger, they're quite difficult to look after. I fed mine a couple of flies, but the traps just went black and fell off. I think I over watered it to be honest. i saw a progam about them once, they startd eating insects because the soil where they live is too shit to get any nutrients from

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Easy 10 said:
The one in Shoreham along the seafront road (by Halfords). They had several, but I think I chose the most VICIOUS looking one.

first port of call tomorrow then - and i can combine it with the demolition of my grandparents bbq for a small fee. wonderful scenes:clap:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Billy the Fish said:
I used to have one when I was younger, they're quite difficult to look after. I fed mine a couple of flies, but the traps just went black and fell off. I think I over watered it to be honest. i saw a progam about them once, they startd eating insects because the soil where they live is too shit to get any nutrients from

They are easy to kill and i don't know why

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Billy the Fish said:
You can't overwater them - they can actually survive underwater for days. They don't like tap water though, it has to be distilled, or rainwater. You don't need to feed it insects either, they can survive without them. Bit like a kebab - nice to have once in a while, but not essential.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Easy 10 said:
Thought I'd get a bit of greenery for my desk at work, and mooching round B&Q today I caught sight of a Venus Flytrap. What an interesting plant. Did you know, each inidividual trap (and the plant I bought has 22) will only catch, on average, a maximum of 3 insects in its lifetime ? The two sections forming the "trap" each have 3 or 4 small bristles within the leaf (on the tongue bit). When disturbed by something moving on them, it stimulates cells in the lobes, which then rapidly swell and trigger the trap movement to close rapidly. The insect is then digested over a period of about 10 days, leaving only a small husk, or "chitin". The trap then reopens.

There. We've all learned something. Hope I see it catch something, I'll be WELL excited.
:)

vft17.jpg

You don't like buying ordinary things do you:lol: Surley a catus would of been better as they don't need watering as much.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Zed Seagull said:
Have you called it Sid?
Sid would be quite apt. I've not really thought of any names yet. I could name each trap individually, but that might just confuse it, being as it is all basically part of the same plant.
I'll give it some thought.

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Easy 10 said:
Sid would be quite apt. I've not really thought of any names yet. I could name each trap individually, but that might just confuse it, being as it is all basically part of the same plant.
I'll give it some thought.

I bet you call it something cute like snappy or the usual name like Bob or Dave

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: I've bought a VENUS FLYTRAP

algie said:
You don't like buying ordinary things do you:lol: Surley a catus would of been better as they don't need watering as much.
I did seriously consider a cactus - there were some nice ones there. But I just know I'd end up impaling my pinky on it at some point when reaching for my mug of tea or something, so I thought I'd go for the carnivorous option instead.

Do you think it'd harm it if I drew little eyes on the lid ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here