Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV sport......SHIT!!!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
And this is how ITV showed it

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qUx3RPdlcM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qUx3RPdlcM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></object>[/yt]

I had different adverts to you

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
BRILLIANT, that was the best advert break since 2007 when Hamilton was poised to win the F1 World Championship in his debut season, people were getting celebrate, and then the advert break kicks in, they cut back and Hamilton is mysteirously missing from the top 10 and lost the World Championship

Anyone else wanna buy a BT landline and broadband?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I still doubt whether this was a cockup by ITV

It really doesn't matter who's finger was on the button to create the cock-up. ITV take all the glory in promoting their FA Cup coverage and, as the public front of the coverage, they have to take the stick when something like this happens.

Diverting the public scorn from themselves to someone obscure down the transmission line just doesn't work. Switching to ads in the middle of a football match is totally unacceptable. ITV executives would undoubtedly agree with that, but they must take it on the chin and then have their own 'discussions' with the 'finger on the button'.

That's life when you are the supplier of a product to the public.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Seriously poor broadcasting. If this is right about them outsourcing loads of processes then it serves them right.

They're crap at the best of times, but that took the biscuit last night.

Sky and BBC are the only two for me.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I think its been made worse becuase by all accounts it was a piss poor game of football. (i didn't watch it) Plus, the fact that the goal went in when the adverts sudenley came on. It was a mistake. Ultimitly it is ITV resposibilty. But should people lose a job over it, or a massive fine or ITV to lose thier rights to show football? No. We need to get out of the 'blame culture' that we live in. It was a mistake and quite a funny one if you did not really give a crap about the game!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
It really doesn't matter who's finger was on the button to create the cock-up. ITV take all the glory in promoting their FA Cup coverage and, as the public front of the coverage, they have to take the stick when something like this happens.

Diverting the public scorn from themselves to someone obscure down the transmission line just doesn't work. Switching to ads in the middle of a football match is totally unacceptable. ITV executives would undoubtedly agree with that, but they must take it on the chin and then have their own 'discussions' with the 'finger on the button'.

Spot on!

Whislt I understand what clapham and truebue are saying, at the end of the day the buck stops with ITV, amd whoops we're sorry isn't really good enough.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Well perhaps you should look in the contract you have with ITV, I'm sure it's all in the small print.

They will get stick, people will be pissing themselves.

The only point I'm making is that what people assume to be fault of broadcasters is actually quite different in reality.

You obviously realise that if there is a power cut in your local area it isn't ITVs fault ?

As "Diverting the public scorn from themselves to someone obscure down the transmission line just doesn't work.."

Well I'm not sure what you are implying I'm trying to do with that, I was simply pointing out the job of actually transmitting or distributing the pictures these days is done by very separate companies who are usually also distributing the pictures for a variety of other companies at the same time.

It's very difficult for me to agree with blaming the broadcasters for network outtages or problems, when I know the reality of what is going on behind the scenes is very very different.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I still doubt whether this was a cockup by ITV,

er, so who's fault is it? whether its in the sports production or transmission backroom, still their problem. or are you trying to say they dont have control of what is being transmitted... (pretty serious implications if thats the case)

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
ITV sports coverage is and always has been total and utter shite. If we leave aside the flawed argument that its not ITV fault that they cut to an add break in the middle of a game they are showing, then take this list of pundits and wonder what lobotomised plum had the sense to employ them

Andy Townsend - I've never heard him say anything of note that might give a viewer a tactical insight into the game
Robbie am I on Earle
David ello luv Pleat
and not forgetting Wife beating simpleton Paul Gascoigne. A TV car crash of the highest order.

I know Lawenson is a self important jumped up twat but he sounds like Sigmund freud in comparison to some of them.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
er, so who's fault is it? whether its in the sports production or transmission backroom, still their problem. or are you trying to say they dont have control of what is being transmitted... (pretty serious implications if thats the case)

... there isn't a "transmission backroom"

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think the main point here is that ITV are delivering a product - something they failed to do. I apprieciate that the transmission probably was not under ITV's control, however it did fail and ITV must carry the can.

If they do try and blame external companies, I will be annoyed. It doesn't matter who screwed up, they should be working with the said external company to make sure the same thing does not happen again.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
BRILLIANT, that was the best advert break since 2007 when Hamilton was poised to win the F1 World Championship in his debut season, people were getting celebrate, and then the advert break kicks in, they cut back and Hamilton is mysteirously missing from the top 10 and lost the World Championship

Anyone else wanna buy a BT landline and broadband?

Same thing when Damon Hill drove for that lower team and managed somehow at Silverstone to get the car into 2nd spot, he was just about to got for the lead when BAMMO a bloody Ad break....lo and behold we return to Damon in the lead and subject to bloody replays :rant:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I fail to understand how ANYONE can argue that showing ITV adverts in the middle of a game being broadcast by ITV is not ITV's fault?!?!

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Well perhaps you should look in the contract you have with ITV, I'm sure it's all in the small print.

They will get stick, people will be pissing themselves.

The only point I'm making is that what people assume to be fault of broadcasters is actually quite different in reality.

You obviously realise that if there is a power cut in your local area it isn't ITVs fault ?

As "Diverting the public scorn from themselves to someone obscure down the transmission line just doesn't work.."

Well I'm not sure what you are implying I'm trying to do with that, I was simply pointing out the job of actually transmitting or distributing the pictures these days is done by very separate companies who are usually also distributing the pictures for a variety of other companies at the same time.

It's very difficult for me to agree with blaming the broadcasters for network outtages or problems, when I know the reality of what is going on behind the scenes is very very different.

I understand everything you say.

However, as I know only too well from my business, when you offer your product to the public and something goes wrong, you are responsible.

I can't just say "It's nothing to do with me, I refer you to Joe Bloggs who supplies me with X, please direct your complaints to him." That's just not how it works. I take the stick and do what I need to do to, hopefully, appease my customer.

Then I give the stick to my supplier.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Clapham, I'm not sure why you're wasting so much time defending ITV on this. It is very much on their watch - it's their showpiece programme. And however far down the line it goes, whichever contractor/transmission service, whatever, it's ultimately they who look stupid.

I'm sure there will be all sorts of recriminations and blame-throwing further down the line, but its ITV's name on the product. In the same way that a major cock-up by a minor civil servant can see a government minister having to resign. Bit unfair, but that's the way of the world.

A power cut is very different, and people know who to blame there. But this was the run-of-the-mill getting of pictures on to our screens.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I understand everything you say.

However, as I know only too well from my business, when you offer your product to the public and something goes wrong, you are responsible.

I can't just say "It's nothing to do with me, I refer you to Joe Bloggs who supplies me with X, please direct your complaints to him." That's just not how it works. I take the stick and do what I need to do to, hopefully, appease my customer.

Then I give the stick to my supplier.

Well I'm the only one I think blaming the external provider, ITV (just like any other broadcasters) will take the rap.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
You have to feel sorry for Dan Gosling too, he wrote himself into Merseyside folklore, his moment of glory should have been seen by MILLIONS, not just by the capacity crowd. But was instead replaced by some actor wannabe dressed as a massive tictac or that depressed ugly bloke from My Family

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
. I would EXPECT Amazon to work through issues to make sure the service is a package and that includes delivery. Anyway, I'm not sure your example is a great comparison with ITV dropping the ball.

It's the same. The delivery of the product is handled separately, and it's those people who should be taking the flak.

The point is I'm making a distinction here between the programmes - which, of course, some people like and some people don't - and the delivery of those programmes, which is nothing at all to do with ITV Sport, and entirely beyond their control.

As I've worked around the TV industry for 20 years, and you probably haven't, let's just say I know what I'm talking about.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A power cut is very different, and people know who to blame there. But this was the run-of-the-mill getting of pictures on to our screens.

I was just pointing out the facts and hardly defending them. I think their football coverage is rubbish.

The electricity analogy isn't that different to be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here