Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV sport......SHIT!!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm sorry Easy, but it ain't on ITVs watch as such.

It is though- it's their programme, they get the money from the advertisers, they crap on about their brilliant football coverage (utter shit by the way) and even if they farm out the transmissions, it still comes down to them to get someone in who knows what they're doing.

Sorry, but they can accept responsibility for it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm sorry Clapham, but in all my considerable years of watching Live televised football across any number of channels, I have never - not once - NEVER - seen a live transmission of a game of soccerball interrupted by a commercial break. Not even during the Yankieball World cup

The fact that a GOAL went in whilst it happened is, perhaps, monstrously unfortunate for the broadcaster. But the fact remains, it happened on ITV's coverage, it happened on ITV's watch. And that, I'm afraid, makes them officially SHIT.

Heads should be rolling tomorrow.

No. But you'll have seen the BBC stick a still up for minutes on end in one of the biggest football matches of the year just a few months ago, because of a problem with the transmission of that match due to a power blackout in Austria. Does that make Gary Lineker shit?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
No. But you'll have seen the BBC stick a still up for minutes on end in one of the biggest football matches of the year just a few months ago, because of a problem with the transmission of that match due to a power blackout in Austria. Does that make Gary Lineker shit?

That wasn't just the BBC, everyone lost that feed except the Swiss.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It is though- it's their programme, they get the money from the advertisers, they crap on about their brilliant football coverage (utter shit by the way) and even if they farm out the transmissions, it still comes down to them to get someone in who knows what they're doing.

Sorry, but they can accept responsibility for it.

Sorry, I do know what I'm on about and that's quite (understandably) is a naive interpretation of how modern television is distributed.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Enjoy the moment again....

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tEhG6Dr08_M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tEhG6Dr08_M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

And this is how ITV showed it

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qUx3RPdlcM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qUx3RPdlcM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></object>[/yt]

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
ITV reap what they sow.
They plug their FA Cup coverage with loads of ads showing milkmen hurdling challenges by Gerrard, and postmen nodding the ball in past Cech. Then when the games come along, they show Preston v Liverpool, or Man U v Spurs. Completely ignoring the non-leaguers.

And who can forget the 2007 Brazilian GP, with Hamiltion going for the title. There he is, up with the front-runners, then two shaving foam ads and a Land of Leather jobbie later we rejoin the action with Lewis back in about 18th after a gearbox problem.

The one I remember is from the 2002 World Cup. They showed the whole of the first half of Paraguay v South Africa (OK, not the most glamorous match of the tournament but some of us were watching!), then at half time switched to TWO HOURS of build-up to the England game, saying 'We'll bring you the second half highlights later'. Of course, they never did (I think they just showed the goals).

So they broadcast THE FIRST HALF ONLY. What a total joke.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That wasn't just the BBC, everyone lost that feed except the Swiss.

Exactly. It was a technical problem that the programme-makers had no control over. And so, almost certainly, was this. Therefore, that doesn't in itself make ITV Sport shit.

If the match Director had missed the goal, then it would be fair to level that accusation but the people making the programme almost certainly had no control over this.

The whole thing makes me laugh really. People talk about Sky, BBC and ITV as if they're all entirely separate entities when, in fact, the TV industry is very small and many people (for example, a lot of cameramen, work for all three). So when people complain that ITV's camerawork on a game was rubbish, and it used to be so much better on the BBC, it's utter tosh. It's more than likely exactly the same bloke. As for the much-maligned "Premiership'... well, funnily enough, both the Director and Programme Editor joined from the BBC so work that one out. Obviously they became 'shit' overnight.

The ITV production teams, incidentally, can't be all that bad considering how many get to work on World Cups and European Championships for the host broadcaster, who tries to put together the best possible team from around the world. On those major tournaments, two of ITV's match directors are always employed too.. their coverage shown worldwide.

Most of ITV's perceived 'problems' are created by one thing - a lack of available airtime compared to their (licence fee and subscription funded) competitors. This often means shorter match edits, ad breaks just before kick-off to maximise revenue, less time for analysis and a less relaxed feel due to the constant need to move on to the next item. It's not ideal, but the price you have to put up with for entirely free football coverage.

The on-screen line up gets some flak of course, and that's fair enough. Whether or not you like a presenter/reporter/pundit/commentator is entirely subjective.

In their defence, I'm sure most presenters (including a certain Mr Lynam) would tell you that it's a much harder job on ITV, because of those time restrictions. The presenter is almost constantly working to 'a count'... where you have to hit the next VT/ad break bang on time or the show starts to unravel. The schedules at the other broadcasters are more flexible.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
To reiterate the above, not only do many staff work on a freelance basis or for a separate company (working for the broadcaster) the companies are also selling services to each other.

The Royale Family is produced by Granada and the BBC shows Channel Four's Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares on their international channels.

Good point about the affect of advertising above. Anyone watched the BBC produced shows on UKTV and Dave wondered why the programmes go to breaks at odd points ? Well the programmes were never produced with advertising in mind and it's very difficult to find natural points to come out.

Last edited:

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
I'm sorry Easy, but it ain't on ITVs watch as such.

If it was on ITV it was ITV's watch, as far as the millions of fans watching it are concerned it was ITV's f***-up. I think us dumb old boys get your point following your 4 or 5 very informative posts BUT IT WAS ON ITV, so its there problem regardless of the provider. To totally exhonerate ITV from any failure in this matter as you seem to be doing is very strange.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
To totally exhonerate ITV from any failure in this matter as you seem to be doing is very strange.

So if you buy something from Amazon which they despatch the same day, but the Royal Mail then loses it for three weeks, who do you blame?

Amazon? Or the Royal Mail for messing up the delivery? I'd guess the latter. And so, on the same basis, ITV may be in the clear.

Of course, that's not such a good story so it''s pretty obvious how the media will spin it.. especially those that have a vested interest in the success of Sky.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
So if you buy something from Amazon which they despatch the same day, but the Royal Mail then loses it for three weeks, who do you blame?

Amazon? Or the Royal Mail for messing up the delivery? I'd guess the latter. And so, on the same basis, ITV may be in the clear.

Of course, that's not such a good story so it''s pretty obvious how the media will spin it.. especially those that have a vested interest in the success of Sky.

No, I would blame both. Mate, I can't agree with you, and could give a dozen examples like your AMAZON one to prove the an alternative point.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
An ITV spokesman said: "We experienced some technical problems towards the end of the game which meant that we cut away at the time of the goal. We immediately replayed the goal and Steve Rider apologised.
"This would appear to be a network transmission problem and was nothing to do with the production team on the ground. We apologise to viewers for the interruption to the game."

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
just enjoy the delicious, funny moment. why are you having a fight about it?

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Why would you blame Amazon?

I would blame Amazon because I bought the product from them and they would no doubt have some guarantees around deliverables.

Its a question of how you consider the "service" provided. I would EXPECT Amazon to work through issues to make sure the service is a package and that includes delivery. Anyway, I'm not sure your example is a great comparison with ITV dropping the ball.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They have ample time to show some adverts after the 90 mins before extra time starts and then another one at the end of the first half of extra time while the teams change around because although there is not supposed to be a break then there invariably is a short one.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
what a misfortune for the goal to occur in those 30 seconds out of the 120 minutes....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here