Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iTunes 7.0

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Marc said:
Gapless playback? pretty sure i've had that for YEARS in WinAmp..or had a plug-in for it but forgot to re-install it!

Edit: yeah found it on the winamp website, came out in 2000...and there was me thinking Apple was the forefront of MP3 technology :lolol:

Yeah, and my hardware mp3 player also has it, and guess what? iPod doesn't

iTunes/iPod could do "gapless playback" before but it ripped the entire CD in to one file. As always, Apple come late to something and make everyone think they were first. Again. :rolleyes:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
MYOB said:
Yeah, and my hardware mp3 player also has it, and guess what? iPod doesn't

iTunes/iPod could do "gapless playback" before but it ripped the entire CD in to one file. As always, Apple come late to something and make everyone think they were first. Again. :rolleyes:

Great marketing then - you've gotta love 'em, eh?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I am constantly amazed by peoples attitude on here to iPod and iTunes.

If you don't like them, don't use them, if everything else is better then use that.

For me, I use both iTunes and iPod, as well as Real Player, Media Player, AllTunes, Anapod, Ipod Agent and in the past Winamp and others. I keep coming back to iTunes because I like the look of it, it plays my music around the house and hasn't crashed for as long as I can remember.

Also, I prefer to use iTunes over all the other programs available for iPod transfers because it works fine, no better, no worse.

If I want to lift tunes off the iPod I use iPod Agent or Anapod.

As for using music purchased off iTunes, it is no problem for me, as my iPod uses it fine. If I want it on a CD or as an MP3, I just convert it, it doesn't take long (although if you want it on a CD then you may as well buy it as a CD as the quality of any of the compression formats is nowhere near as good as original CD quality)

So for all you anti Apple products people, fine, use the alternatives, some are very good, but do us a favour, we've all made our decisions, and we're happy with them.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Superphil said:

If you don't like them, don't use them, if everything else is better then use that.

For me, I use both iTunes and iPod, as well as Real Player, Media Player, AllTunes, Anapod, Ipod Agent and in the past Winamp and others. I keep coming back to iTunes because I like the look of it, it plays my music around the house and hasn't crashed for as long as I can remember.

Also, I prefer to use iTunes over all the other programs available for iPod transfers because it works fine, no better, no worse.

As for using music purchased off iTunes, it is no problem for me, as my iPod uses it fine. If I want it on a CD or as an MP3, I just convert it, it doesn't take long (although if you want it on a CD then you may as well buy it as a CD as the quality of any of the compression formats is nowhere near as good as original CD quality)

So for all you anti Apple products people, fine, use the alternatives, some are very good, but do us a favour, we've all made our decisions, and we're happy with them.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Well said Phil.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I upgraded yesterday, left it to run overnight...it found BAG's and Bex's tunes and has added themn to my ipod...meaning my 6GB ipod has bugger all space left on it.

:down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

I also have Good Charlotte, type stuff and Brittany Spears/ Black Angry Foul Mouthed "rappers" on my ipod which i will have to spend time deleting off tonight:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
So what you're saying is, you ignored the compulsory synch on/off option which appears at the end of the iTunes install? (This version and every other)

So, er, that'll be your fault.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be honest I didnt understand what that was getting at. i assumed it was just going to synch my stuff, not all the users on the machine

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Wozza said:

you may well :shrug: , but I thought XP made sure that when you were signed in to your profile, anything you do on the machine just does it to your profile, not everyone's.

I am AS400 mate, not these little PC toys!!!!:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Superphil said:

What he said
:clap2:

Substitute

Banned
Sep 20, 2006
i think the new skin is wicked, although i am slightly disappointed by the fact they have altered party shuffle mode in that if you don't have anything lined up on it then it will stop playing after the current song.

you used to be able to let itunes select one song at random for you, now you have to have 5 or more to do it auto!

I am liking the new features though and there is a "skip count" as well as a play count, so you can see what songs are irritating you!

bobbyzam

Jul 5, 2006
London
I like the upgrade.

However I still can't get any of the podcasts I download (using itunes) to appear in the podcasts folder on my Ipod anybody know how to sort this?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
bobbyzam said:
I like the upgrade.

However I still can't get any of the podcasts I download (using itunes) to appear in the podcasts folder on my Ipod anybody know how to sort this?

ditto

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I'm not really sure what "gapless playback" means. I had a setting on my iPod that would fade the tracks under each other slightly anyway. And because I generally buy CDs and rip 'em into iTunes, I can't "browse by artwork" except for the 100 or so songs I've downloaded from the iTunes shop.

But yes, the new skin looks quite nice.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I'm not really sure what "gapless playback" means.

you must have a CD where one track blends into another, what Gapless does is it get rid of the Gap you get and make the tracks Blend in seamlessly. Of course sounds abit crap when tracks dont blend, you go from the end of one song directly into the next. Its more geared towards DJs/long boring trance remixes and stuff like that.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Ah. So with my tastes remaining firmly indie-schmindie, alt-folk and, er, Johnny Cash, I won't notice it anyway.

Ta :thumbsup:

Some rock albums aren't supposed to have gaps either - Pink Floyd come to mind.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can't "browse by artwork" except for the 100 or so songs I've downloaded from the iTunes shop.

I'm sad enough to have added artwork as I've put cd's on and find the browse by artwork option great, it's just like flipping through old vinyl albums :clap2:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Worth pointing out that you don't have to drag artwork manually now. Select the option from the Advanced menu and it downloads artwork for all (well, most of) your collection automatically.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here