Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's not 'somethink' for F*CK sake

Crazy Cornish Gal

Dec 26, 2003
Brighton
Yeh and who goes mad and celebrates St George's day? No-one i can think of, it should be a national holiday!

Large One: - Or a variation of skelenton is skellington ! Marvelous !

North West pronounciation of chimney is chimley (I know, I was born there !)
And Crazy Cornish Gal, I celebrate St George's Day, I make a point of wearing my St George's Flag lapel pin badge and for years I have been spreading the word. I'm sure the Irish, the Welsh and the Scots don't celebrate St George's so I'm not about to go out for a drink on their patron saint ! (Oh, and Scots as 'Scotch', that's another one !)

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Sussex on Leith said:
A lot of folk up this way say "Sangwich" for "sandwich". I've never asked them why.

Isn't it sanger for short?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
coach03 said:
Large One: - Or a variation of skelenton is skellington ! Marvelous !

North West pronounciation of chimney is chimley (I know, I was born there !)
And Crazy Cornish Gal, I celebrate St George's Day, I make a point of wearing my St George's Flag lapel pin badge and for years I have been spreading the word. I'm sure the Irish, the Welsh and the Scots don't celebrate St George's so I'm not about to go out for a drink on their patron saint ! (Oh, and Scots as 'Scotch', that's another one !)

In that case, let me tell you about an event in Brighton.

The Brighton & Hove St George's Day Charity will be holding its inaugural luncheon at the Hilton Brighton Metropole on April 23.

There will be a 3 course meal featuring the traditional English lunch of roast beef, Yorkshire puddings and all the trimmings. There will also be a vegetarian option.

Guest speakers include Gareth Chilcott and - erm - Frank Carson. Meet at 12.30pm for a 1pm start. There will be the food, wine, toasting the Queen and St George, singing of the likes of 'Jerusalem', 'Land of Hope & Glory' and 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot', a raffle, auctions.

The cost is £50 per head, or £500 for a table of 10. Brighton & Hove St George's Day ties and lapel badges will also be available. All profits go to a number of local charities. Please note, it is a gentlemen only do.

PM me if you want more info. I am not organising it, but I am involved in some of the advertising. Boneheads, xenophobes and the Hitler Youth are NOT welcome - it is a celebration of England and Englishness.

The Large One said:
PM me if you want more info. I am not organising it, but I am involved in some of the advertising. Boneheads, xenophobes and the Hitler Youth are NOT welcome - it is a celebration of England and Englishness.

Will Greeks, Germans, Lebanese and Georgians also be welcome, bearing in mind St George is their country's patron saint, too?

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Yes now you mention it there are alot of Americanisms
that are creeping into the English language

My pet hates

using sick instead of ill

failure to use the present perfect tense ie

Did you go to London this year instead of HAVE YOU BEEN TO LONDON THIS YEAR

I believe the Trisha show is partly responsible for this, but this is whole new topic of conversation

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
chips and gravy said:
When I lived up north people were convinced I said cap of tea

When I lived in Liverpool they found it most amuzing that I was able to make;

Paul, Pool and Pull

all sound the same :)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
there was a report on asthma the other day and there had clearly been a directive to BBC presenters as rather than "assma" as is common practice, they made great efforts to pronounce the "th". Except when they forgot. It's not easy.

Pacific for specific is something I regularly come across.

For fucks' sake.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I once worked at a company of nearly 1,000 people and the MD sent an email round containing a new word: "nethertheless"

What a complete twat.

Turgid

Dec 5, 2003
Wadhurst
I hate people who use the words 'Crystal', 'Palace' and 'Football' in the same sentence - unless of course the word 'shite' is inserted somewhere.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Turgid said:
I hate people who use the words 'Crystal', 'Palace' and 'Football' in the same sentence - unless of course the word 'shite' is inserted somewhere.

:lolol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sunnick rong 'ere. :drink:

What I hate is football stadium names that you cannot produce and some of them you cannot even read(ing).

Now I know that Falmer is pronounced Fow mar! but 'ow many of the students no that? (what is the K doing there, if I wanted to kerno sunnick I would wererite it down first).

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here