Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Its not good enough....why are we all making excuses?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
pork pie...

It is a results business I agree with you.

But.

We are playing good football.. and unlike last season where we were extremely lucky not to go down because we were dire, this season we'd be extremely unlucky to be anywhere near the relegation zone come May. We're a far better footballing side than many of the teams around us and I think over time, that will show.

You can't build a team who just escaped relegation into a top half team overnight. They need time. And they're making progress. Which is filling me with far more confidence than a shakey board who sacks any manager they hire as soon as a few results go against us.

The reasons we've been losing games aren't same as they were last season. There aren't anywhere near as many fundamental flaws.

We've got quality players all across the park. Have some patience and think about it before you go banging your smiley's head against a wall..

I can't remember an Albion manager that has brought in so many good signings in such a short period of time. I can't remember an Albion manager that has completely changed the atmosphere and quality of play in such a short period of time. Give the guy a break, the results will come, he is rebuilding the whole squad. I'm sorry but this does take time. It took Ferguson time at United, it took Capello time with England, it will take Slade time here. It took him awhile last season with that squad and the doubters came out in force, especially after the MK away game but Slade came good. Let's give him a chance eh?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I can't remember an Albion manager that has brought in so many good signings in such a short period of time. I can't remember an Albion manager that has completely changed the atmosphere and quality of play in such a short period of time. Give the guy a break, the results will come, he is rebuilding the whole squad. I'm sorry but this does take time. It took Ferguson time at United, it took Capello time with England, it will take Slade time here. It took him awhile last season with that squad and the doubters came out in force, especially after the MK away game but Slade came good. Let's give him a chance eh?

Exactly. It took Ferguson 6 years to win a trophy at Man Utd, it's only October FFS! We've got Slade so lets stick with him and see what he does. If we're in the relegation zone at Christmas then there is something wrong and we can sort it out then, we'll still have enough to get out of it.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

What planet are you on mate? Sure, it is hard to remember a Manager being given so much money to spend - but where is the end product? Micky Adams changed the atmosphere and quality of play, much more than Slade has - and with some reasonable results at first. Time is not on our side - it is all about winning football matches - or we go down!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What planet are you on mate? Sure, it is hard to remember a Manager being given so much money to spend - but where is the end product? Micky Adams changed the atmosphere and quality of play, much more than Slade has - and with some reasonable results at first. Time is not on our side - it is all about winning football matches - or we go down!

So what do you suggest we do? Get rid of Slade and get who in? And if the new person's magic wand doesn't work after 10 games, then what? Get rid of him and get who in? And if the new person etc etc

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So what do you suggest we do? Get rid of Slade and get who in? And if the new person's magic wand doesn't work after 10 games, then what? Get rid of him and get who in? And if the new person etc etc

I suggest we replace Slade with Steve Coppell. He is in a different class to Slade. We are talking about a top player and experienced manager - as opposed to an ex-school teacher!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I suggest we replace Slade with Steve Coppell. He is in a different class to Slade. We are talking about a top player and experienced manager - as opposed to an ex-school teacher!

Oh I didn't realise you knew Coppell personally and know that he is interested. I agree, let's get him in then.

Or what if he doesn't want to come to a League 1 side in the relegation zone?

I suggest we replace Dickinson with David Villa, he is in a different class to Dickinson.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... and if we can't get Coppell?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
If we go down to home defeat number five tonight, halfway through October, then questioning the manager's credentials to continue in his job would be an entirely legitimate reaction.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
If we lose tonight then Slade has to go. Losing five of your first six home matches of the season is indefensible. Losing four out of five is bad enough.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
It seems to me that a lot of people are using statistics as the base of their answer, so I shall follow.
True
- 4 home defeats out of 5 is not good at any level.
- Losing players to injuries is part of the game
- having players sent off is part of the game
- having multiple players sent off over a number of games is not normal
- having a different back 4 for every game isnt going to help
- The football/team performances have improved
- A different starting 11 each week is going to produce differerent performances/results
- If you look at the points picked up when playing with 11 men, we seem to be doing well

False
- Changing a manager is going to change the way people tackle on the pitch
- Changing a manager is going to bring instant success
- Slade had a lot of money to spend. (Yes he did, but that was money that, in my eyes, had to be spent to make sure we didnt have another season like last. We had to spend to just MAINTAIN our league position, we spent more to try and improve it. Every year this league gets stronger and those that dont spend, like tranmere, will struggle).

Overal, the general consensous is that we can, will, should, move up the league once there is a settled back four.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Two months into a two year contract ?
I share the frustration, and obviously results so far have not been good enough. But how many managers do we have to keep going through and paying off ? When does a team EVER become successful when the managers office has a revolving door ?

There are signs of improvement in the team that have (so far) unfortunately not been borne out by the results. We've certainly not been stinking the place out with our performances, but some lapses have cost us dearly. That needs sorting of course, but I'm far from convinced sacking Slade is the answer.

I think Slade has spent quite wisely, I like the look of Crofts, Bennett, Dicker and Tunnicliffe - these are not bad players he has brought in. I'm as sick of the "time to gel" excuse as everyone else is, but if we have a BIT of patience, I think things will turn round and we'll start climbing the table. We're really not playing that badly.

I think this assessment is just about spot on. We are all frustrated but feel that it is more about minor tweaks than a complete overhall

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Two months into a two year contract ?
I share the frustration, and obviously results so far have not been good enough. But how many managers do we have to keep going through and paying off ? When does a team EVER become successful when the managers office has a revolving door ?

There are signs of improvement in the team that have (so far) unfortunately not been borne out by the results. We've certainly not been stinking the place out with our performances, but some lapses have cost us dearly. That needs sorting of course, but I'm far from convinced sacking Slade is the answer.

I think Slade has spent quite wisely, I like the look of Crofts, Bennett, Dicker and Tunnicliffe - these are not bad players he has brought in. I'm as sick of the "time to gel" excuse as everyone else is, but if we have a BIT of patience, I think things will turn round and we'll start climbing the table. We're really not playing that badly.

I think this assessment is just about spot on. We are all frustrated but feel that it is more about minor tweaks than a complete overhaul

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Some fair points but I just think that dividing the games into two lots of five is too flawed a way of looking at it to really tell us anything much. Especially because as I said the best little run of results came right in the middle of it.

Now we've played twelve, let's try it in threes:

1st three games = 1pt
2nd three games = 4pts
3rd three games = 4pts
4th three games = 4pts

fours...

1st four games = 1pt
2nd four games = 7pts
3rd four games = 5pts

sixes...

1st six games = 5pts
2nd six games = 8pts

Incidentally, this is the first time all season that we have not been below our corresponding position last year. After 12 games last year, we were also 17th.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Let me get this right, if we don't win every football match we get relegated? is that what you are saying? If so are you supporting the right team, wouldn't you be better off following a Premiership team like Man U or Chelsea where your more likely to get your brand of fantasy football?

It is a 46 game season, alot of teams in the past have had slow starts and gone on to challenge for play-offs or automatic promotion and a lot more will do in the future.

Why all the panic about changing something that is now starting to come good? As mentioned countless times, the performances so far this season have greatly improved and with time and getting better, and so will our results and we will climb the table.

Players are coming back from injury, and hopefully we will be able to consistantly field our best XI, and a settled side usually leads to better results and performances, (ie, a team that has gelled and plays regularly together)

The commitment and desire is their from the players (if anything they might be a bit too over eagre at times, which has led to giving away goals and getting sent off) Is that is missing, then i'd worry, even if we were getting good results.

It is a results business, but over 46 games, not a handful, be patient and we will reap the reward.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I suggest we replace Slade with Steve Coppell. He is in a different class to Slade. We are talking about a top player and experienced manager

.............under whose stewardship we were relegated last time he managed us

I'm on the planet where we are putting together a bloody good squad filled with quality, work ethic and a healthy bias toward youth. Last night showed exactly the direction we are going in and if we stick with Slade then last night will happen more and more often.

You talk about Adams turning things around, it took him a year, one of the biggest budgets in the (lower) division and about 10 dud signings. And as we all know he couldn't repeat that feat at the second time of asking so you have to ask how much of it was down to stumbling across Zamora. What Slade achieved last season with a battered, demoralised squad was truly staggering. What he is building this season fills me with hope for the future. Open your eyes, we are going places under Slade (and I don't mean League 2).

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
If we are only slightly disappointed at our poor start to the season when do we really begin to get worried, WHEN WE ARE IN DIV2?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have not been to a game therefore am not in a position to comment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here