Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Its not good enough....why are we all making excuses?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Lets get the facts right......as I personally have had enough of making excuses about the whys and the whats and the give it more time and time to gel crap!

We have had a god awful start to the season and really it couldnt have been much worse and lets not beat around the bush...its fcuking unnaceptable.

1. Were out of both cups at the first asking.
2. Were in the bottom four after 11 games...so 11 games is enough to judge
3. Weve spent a lot of money
4. Ive witnessed the heaviest defeat ive ever seen in over 20 years of watching
5. We have no discipline what so ever with almost a 50% send off rate.

Now I know weve been unlucky here and there and had the odd good result on the way....ie carlisle and bristol rovers away but have our expectations really dipped that much?

Im pig sick of hearing people say...we could have won that 3-0....or we should have done this if we had eleven men......the facts do not lie. Ive lost faith in slade and that includes whatever the reslut is tonight before some of you lot start bouncing threads saying "see I told you it would turn around"...he talks a good talk, but it does not seem to be getting to the players.

I still feel he has another five games imho simply due to what he did for us last season....but that is it....if were still flirting with relegation come the begginning of November...that is plain and simple not on. The albion never spend any money and this guy has been given in football terms a MASSIVE league one budget compared to previous managers at the club.

As for this 2 year championship plan......sounds lovely...but what about the other 10 plus teams who will be competing to go up......some fans seem very deluded...."oh its ok...mid table this year and go up next...." I think your Southamptons, Norwich's...the three that come down from the championship plus any play off losers next year may have a little something to say about it.

Lets be honest...we need a decent structure for that to happen.......Good and proven coaches, a succesful a manager whs been there and done it....and a quality squad that is capable...im afraid at the moment...none of the three are in place in my opinion.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Lets get the facts right......as I personally have had enough of making excuses about the whys and the whats and the give it more time and time to gel crap!

We have had a god awful start to the season and really it couldnt have been much worse and lets not beat around the bush...its fcuking unnaceptable.

Now I know weve been unlucky here and there and had the odd good result on the way....ie carlisle and bristol rovers away but have our expectations really dipped that much?

Im pig sick of hearing people say...we could have won that 3-0....or we should have done this if we had eleven men......the facts do not lie. Ive lost faith in slade and that includes whatever the reslut is tonight before some of you lot start bouncing threads saying "see I told you it would turn around"...he talks a good talk, but it does not seem to be getting to the players.

I still feel he has another five games imho simply due to what he did for us last season....but that is it....if were still flirting with relegation come the begginning of November...that is plain and simple not on. The albion never spend any money and this guy has been given in football terms a MASSIVE league one budget compared to previous managers at the club.

As for this 2 year championship plan......sounds lovely...but what about the other 10 plus teams who will be competing to go up......some fans seem very deluded...."oh its ok...mid table this year and go up next...." I think your Southamptons, Norwich's...the three that come down from the championship plus any play off losers next year may have a little something to say about it.

Lets be honest...we need a decent structure for that to happen.......Good and proven coaches, a succesful a manager whs been there and done it....and a quality squad that is capable...im afraid at the moment...none of the three are in place in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

To be fair Slade has been there, he got f***ing Yeovil to a playoff final on far less resources. The squad on paper looks like a squad that should be challenging at the top. The coaches on the hand.....

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
In regards to Slade been there and done it at Yeovil....Im concerned he's a scrapper....gets the best out of average players and only knows how to play one way.

Squads on paper mean nothing. We have a lot of players who havent been in form since 2007...thats a long time in football and I thought the players we bought would have immediate impacts and they havent....if you look at Huddersfield...although theyve fallen by the wayside slightly...the players they have brought in and they are quality and not much difference in price to what weve spent.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
We're all naturally slightly dissapointed about our start but this is no time for knee jerk reactions, all we need is your full unequivocal support for the boys.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The difference between las t year and this year is that we have played some good stuff whereas under Adams it was aimless hoofs and headless chicken football.

I am becoming frustrated at our (relatively) poor start but I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Last season under Adams there was no light and frankly no hope. We were DIRE. I cant say that yet about this side.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
In regards to Slade been there and done it at Yeovil....Im concerned he's a scrapper....gets the best out of average players and only knows how to play one way.

I am by no means a Slade apologist but the football I have seen the team play at Millwall and Orient (sadly not Brentford) has been very good. Aside form Virgo and Elphick the team try to play a passing game and have, in my opinion, been let down by the quality of delivery into the box and some horrendous defensive lapses.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Lets be honest...we need a decent structure for that to happen.......Good and proven coaches, a succesful a manager whs been there and done it....and a quality squad that is capable...im afraid at the moment...none of the three are in place in my opinion.

Absolutely spot on. If we lose tonight Slade should be sacked, there I've said it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Absolutely spot on. If we lose tonight Slade should be sacked, there I've said it.

Two months into a two year contract ?
I share the frustration, and obviously results so far have not been good enough. But how many managers do we have to keep going through and paying off ? When does a team EVER become successful when the managers office has a revolving door ?

There are signs of improvement in the team that have (so far) unfortunately not been borne out by the results. We've certainly not been stinking the place out with our performances, but some lapses have cost us dearly. That needs sorting of course, but I'm far from convinced sacking Slade is the answer.

I think Slade has spent quite wisely, I like the look of Crofts, Bennett, Dicker and Tunnicliffe - these are not bad players he has brought in. I'm as sick of the "time to gel" excuse as everyone else is, but if we have a BIT of patience, I think things will turn round and we'll start climbing the table. We're really not playing that badly.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...I think Slade has spent quite wisely, I like the look of Crofts, Bennett, Dicker and Tunnicliffe - these are not bad players he has brought in. I'm as sick of the "time to gel" excuse as everyone else is, but if we have a BIT of patience, I think things will turn round and we'll start climbing the table. We're really not playing that badly.

Is that the same as 'we are too good to go down' ? :nono:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
First and foremost, I would agree that given the investment that has been made in the team, this really is not good enough.

Personally though, I'm not comfortable with the idea that Russell Slade is entirely to blame, unless he's been given the responsibility to make all the decisions he wants to make, and delegate to the right people. In short, have our coaching staff been thrust upon him, and is he happy with the job they're doing?

If White/Booker are as noddy as some people are suggesting, then they should go. If not, then the board need to find out what the problem really is, and quickly.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Just to clear things up..
These are all sensible posts:

Games 1-5 = 2 points
Games 6-10 = 7 points

We are improving. Facts support that.

We're all naturally slightly dissapointed about our start but this is no time for knee jerk reactions, all we need is your full unequivocal support for the boys.

The difference between las t year and this year is that we have played some good stuff whereas under Adams it was aimless hoofs and headless chicken football.

I am becoming frustrated at our (relatively) poor start but I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Last season under Adams there was no light and frankly no hope. We were DIRE. I cant say that yet about this side.

This is not sensible at all:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Easy

I am far from convinced NOT sacking Slade is the answer but each to their own.

Two months into a two year contract ?
I share the frustration, and obviously results so far have not been good enough. But how many managers do we have to keep going through and paying off ? When does a team EVER become successful when the managers office has a revolving door ?

There are signs of improvement in the team that have (so far) unfortunately not been borne out by the results. We've certainly not been stinking the place out with our performances, but some lapses have cost us dearly. That needs sorting of course, but I'm far from convinced sacking Slade is the answer.

I think Slade has spent quite wisely, I like the look of Crofts, Bennett, Dicker and Tunnicliffe - these are not bad players he has brought in. I'm as sick of the "time to gel" excuse as everyone else is, but if we have a BIT of patience, I think things will turn round and we'll start climbing the table. We're really not playing that badly.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria

Attachments

• captain%20sensible.jpg
    captain%20sensible.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 509

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I don't really see the point of getting rid of him. I don't think we are going to go up or down this season, so we may as well let him build, see how next season goes and then decide. There's no point in judging simply on short term success- as long term plans are a proven method of being successful.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I am annoyed that you did not include my post as sesible.

I missed it sorry.. I agree with your sentiments though!

Here's my thoughts:

1) We're playing good football.
2) We've missed key players through injury/suspension etc.
3) We've bought well and not relied on loan players as much as last season.
4) We ARE improving.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy

I am far from convinced NOT sacking Slade is the answer but each to their own.

The thing is though, you're wanting / expecting instant results.
So we sack Slade and bring in A.N. Other. What happens then if results don't immediately improve overnight ? And if the performances start to deteriorate ? Do we give it a dozen games and then get someone else in ?

Unlike last season under Adams, I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with how Slade is building the team. The additions look decent, and we're not constantly stuffed to the rafters with loan players all over the shop. Virgo is being used in defence rather than on the wing / up front / central midfield (delete as applicable), and the team is playing ok.

If our performances go downhill and we've not improved our position by the turn of the year, then I might be joining you in calling for his head, and you can justifiably turn round and say "I TOLD you this three months ago Easy". But for the time being, there are just about enough green shoots showing for me to give Slade the benefit of the doubt.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
OK the performances are encouraging and we are playing better football than early on last season, but this is a results business. I usually like to give the manager the benefit of the doubt and time to build, and the new players in do seem to be better than those replaced, however the next two games are something of a barometer of our progress. Gillingham have been crap on the road this season and we should really win tonight, whether our players are 'gelling' or not. Tranmere are in disarray and being managed by their physio so we should really get something up there as well.

For me, it is 4 points from these 2 games as a minimum. Should we lose them both - heaven forbid - we really have to question whether Slade is the next Martin Hinshelwood rather than the next big thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here