Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's a good job we keep winning

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Whereas the view from third place is altogether different.

Albion are over the horizon and need to blow up spectacularly to miss automatic promotion. I'm frustrated that Howe's departure hasn't led to an implosion at B'muff and I'm not convinced that yesterday's defeat is the start. At the beginning of 2011 is was noticeable that only Albion had any consistent form, the rest of the pack were all over the place.

The opposite is now true. The top six are also in the top six on current form (+ Orient) and it's Albion + one from six for the second spot. Posh were so bad away from home before Fergie returned that I'm too cautious to call us at the moment. So I fancy SCC to clinch second spot. Which is a shame because I liked Adkins when he was at Scunny, but now he's a ****.

I cant see MK or Orient making 2nd and I share your view that Bmuff havent dropped out yet. So second is really between four teams (or five if you count us!) There are some cracking games mostly involving Posh in the run in

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The results over the last couple of weeks have been GREAT for us! OK, we wouldn't have minded if all the teams below us had spilled points left, right and centre, but imagine how they must feel - they go out, win their matches, and then go back to the dressing room to see how much ground they have made up.....................answer, 'None' - Albion have won again!
It's probably only the race for second place that's motivating them now.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
It's a tiny bit frustrating to not see us go officially double figures clear, but fair play to the rest of the pack. It's that winning mentality that gets you promoted. The way they've been playing recently, I really can see Orient getting a sniff at the automatic spots although they're probably not really in the running for the top spot. Any one of us, Southampton, Bournemouth or Peterborough I think could so we can't rest on our laurels just yet. That said, if we keep playing like we have been and keep winning then who gives a crap how any of the others do?

If we maintain our form so far - this thread is irrelevant.

However I have a (not so) funny feeling that this will not be the case and the gap will be erroded. Hudds and Sampton will be looking at their games here as 6 pointers and Posh are going very well. Samton's run in looks fairly straightforward and only Hudds/Pboro have to face each other between now and the end of the season.

Our actual form recently has not been as good as a few games ago and as has been rightly pointed out we have earned several points either at the death or in a fortunate manner.

Several people I know have said this will be done and dusted by the time Sampton come to visit but I doubt that will be the case although I very much hope I am wrong.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I have us finishing 3rd in the BBC league predictor by a single point :down:

I don't know why Orient are in the equation - yes they've climbed quickly, but through a table with few points between the drop zone and the upper-mid-table that's not so big a deal. Who's going to slide and let them into the playoffs? MKDons.... didn't they just beat us? Are they going to suddenly be poor and drop loads of points? Huddersfield deserve to be in there somewhere, they're not going to flop all of a sudden. Posh everyone is saying are amazing, Southampton might take 2nd, Bournemouth aren't suddenly going to lose their nerve just like that are they?

orient won't be world-beating enough to pick up enough points, forget them. Slade's done very well and may come close - but no cigar this season. imo.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't know why Orient are in the equation - yes they've climbed quickly, but through a table with few points between the drop zone and the upper-mid-table that's not so big a deal. Who's going to slide and let them into the playoffs? MKDons.... didn't they just beat us? Are they going to suddenly be poor and drop loads of points? Posh everyone is saying are amazing, Southampton might take 2nd, Bournemouth aren't suddenly going to lose their nerve just like that are they?

orient won't be world-beating enough to pick up enough points, forget them. Slade's done very well and may come close - but no cigar this season. imo.

Orient have got 4 games in hand over MKDons so could overtake them easily.

Orient have got 4 games in hand over MKDons so could overtake them easily.

You mean "mathematically", not "easily". Easily means winning football matches at a stroll, and they need to win 3, or 2 and draw 2 of those games in hand. Not as easy done as said - and we are not talking about a top side with unbeatable record here - it's orient. MK dons look better placed by having the point lead.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There is a lot of pressure on all the teams at the top, the fact we are still winning must be as frustrating as hell for the likes of SCC and Hudds who have finally got some consistency. I did the predictor thing and factored in defeats against SCC and Hudds and a couple of way draws and still had us as champions by five points. We have to keep our foot on the pedal and keep pushing for wins every week. We can afford the odd slip but our rivals cannot. An interesting OP and a nice little reminder that job is not done yet, but Gus and Tanno really seem to have us properly focused on the ultimate prize.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You mean "mathematically", not "easily". Easily means winning football matches at a stroll, and they need to win 3, or 2 and draw 2 of those games in hand. Not as easy done as said - and we are not talking about a top side with unbeatable record here - it's orient. MK dons look better placed by having the point lead.
Orient have lost one game in 26. They have better form than MKDons.

Jul 7, 2003
swindon, wilts
Comment for a Hudds fan

:D

Why are people so negative, we are the best team in the league, the table doesn't lie. We will win the league and I don't care who goes up with us. Enjoy the remaining games and look forward to the Championship.
We are 1/5 to win the league with S'ton at 9/2 and 25/1 the rest. The bookies don't give money away. Just chill out and let the others worry who goes up with us.

:amex:

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Am confident we will get promoted but things can change rapidly over a few games. Bournemouth started yesterday in 2nd and ended the day in 5th. Oops!!:ohmy:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Am confident we will get promoted but things can change rapidly over a few games. Bournemouth started yesterday in 2nd and ended the day in 5th. Oops!!:ohmy:

But that's because they are amongst the pack and about 4 points separating all of them. We are EIGHT clear with games in HAND. Come on people get a grip. We would have to utterly implode (against a load of lower half teams) to not go up this season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If we gain promotion on April 23rd after beating Scumhampton it could be interesting for the last home game against Huddersfield if they only need a point to claim 2nd spot :lol:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
This week, I shall mostly supporting Brentford and Sheffield Wednesday.

jesse+diets.jpg

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Why are people so negative, we are the best team in the league, the table doesn't lie. We will win the league and I don't care who goes up with us. Enjoy the remaining games and look forward to the Championship.
We are 1/5 to win the league with S'ton at 9/2 and 25/1 the rest. The bookies don't give money away. Just chill out and let the others worry who goes up with us.

:amex:

Thank f*** that somebody had decided to speak sense. I have spent years bemoaning that our team has been neither good enough, or with enough depth, to maintain any form of promotional charge. Now we have. We are winning games that previously we would have lost or drawn. We are 8/9 points clear with 1/2 games in hand. It is mid march. We are better that the other teams in the league. FFS!

NUFC1892

Feb 13, 2011
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
You've got nothing to worry about IMO. You've won 6 out of your last 7, even if you can't maintain that form then I can't see Hudders, Southampton or anyone else for that matter making up however many points ahead you are, think it's ten in Southampton's case. Can't say I blame you for worrying but from an outsiders point of view you're pissing the league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here